Range AFM Disable - Anyone tried it?

Tony1959

• 1 month later...

I have it. It works exactly as advertised. No issues at all except Onstar's monthly report says there's an issue keeping them from scanning your vehicle. The only weird thing is how a year and a half ago, EVERYONE on here had one and there were tons of threads about how great it was and how it saved your engine from the dreaded oil-burning problems. Eighteen months later and no one even talks about oil burning or the need to stay out of V-4 mode.

• Like 1

I tried two on my '15 SLE. Every time, the device was "turned off" after a few start cycles and at the next cycle, the 4-cyl mode was active. I was in communication with Range Technology and was advised about a few cases like that. Exchanged the unit and the replacement did the same; it worked for a while before the 4-cyl mode was activated.

So, it's going to be on return shipping tomorrow. Range Technology customer service has been excellent in handling it.

I have one and it works as advertised. I had exchanged it several times for software updates and until this version I had errors.

I have since went with a Black Bear tune and no longer need the range device. I will sale it for $100.00 if you are interested.

Thanks

Randall.

Maybe nobody talks about oil burning or v4 mode because the Range solved it!? I don't hate v4 mode but I'm getting the Range to stop bouncing cylinders on and off during my short 9 mile commute. Trying to let the engine 'keep it simple' in the hopes it'll last longer!

• Like 2

Maybe nobody talks about oil burning or v4 mode because the Range solved it!? I don't hate v4 mode but I'm getting the Range to stop bouncing cylinders on and off during my short 9 mile commute. Trying to let the engine 'keep it simple' in the hopes it'll last longer!

That was my reason for buying it too. In real life V4 mode is not really seamless. On both my 2013 and new 2014, I always felt a bump or a stumble, not unlike an extra transmission shift or a missed shift. Very annoying.

• 4 weeks later...

i have and still use my range afm disable..love it..works as intended. Best of all its not a programer it wont void your warranty. just be sure to take it off b4 you go to gm dealer for any reason they still frown on the use of this item. it also wont put any logs in your ecu..even notice that my oil consumption is less per oil change. was using 1 1/2 -2 qts per oil change . now its around 1/2 qt per 3k. cant say that it will help your oil consumption problem..Everyone knows the AFM in gm trucks is LAME ..ITS a TRUCK ..you want milage buy a VOLT. Trucks work for a living don't want no GIMPED up v8 pansi. so yes the AFM disable from range works well and i HIGHLY recommend it for ALL gas GM trucks. BEST item you will ever buy for 200 bucks...didn't mean to rant .

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just had one come in today. Plug it in and get power steering and 4wd faults with a check engine. Remove it and the truck starts but the it has a check engine. I then go through the code clearing instructions on their website and it doesn't work. So, I read the codes and get ECM communications error and TCM communications error. No matter what I do, the thing doesn't work. I have asked to return it.

I had one for my 2013 1500 5.3L. Worked good. Never any issues except the Onstar thing. I took the expensive route and totally eliminated my problems. Traded in the 2013 for a 2015 2500 with a 6.0L with no AFM. Much happier now. There was a lot more to the reasons I traded. Motor was only a small part of it.

• 2 weeks later...

i have and still use my range afm disable..love it..works as intended. Best of all its not a programer it wont void your warranty. just be sure to take it off b4 you go to gm dealer for any reason they still frown on the use of this item. it also wont put any logs in your ecu..even notice that my oil consumption is less per oil change. was using 1 1/2 -2 qts per oil change . now its around 1/2 qt per 3k. cant say that it will help your oil consumption problem..Everyone knows the AFM in gm trucks is LAME ..ITS a TRUCK ..you want milage buy a VOLT. Trucks work for a living don't want no GIMPED up v8 pansi. so yes the AFM disable from range works well and i HIGHLY recommend it for ALL gas GM trucks. BEST item you will ever buy for 200 bucks...didn't mean to rant .

Not sure where you get your information but a tune will not void your warranty either.

What it will do is allow you to deactivate AFM and give you a boost in both performance. There is also no need to worry about plugging it in or unplugging anything.

Not sure why people still believe that your warranty will be void by adding an aftermarket item to your vehicle. It is illegal for a dealership and/or manufacturer to do so. There are laws that protect us from that illegal activity and it must be proven without doubt that your aftermarket modification/accessory directly caused the problem.

Do yourself a favor and have your truck tuned, much better option than buying a device that only turns off the AFM in your pickup.

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado

• 1 month later...

There are dozens and dozens of threads in various forums that have discussed the problems associated with the AFM cylinder shut down thing in these motors. Many experience no problems, but there are enough example of problems that GM has tech bulletins out about this in an attempt to correct problems. So much so that many have opted to disable the AFM via a Range device or a tune.

I disabled the AFM on my 2013, partly to avoid the problem reasons, but primarily out of principle. Many claim they cannot tell when things switch, but I sure could on the rolling, hilly terrain I usually drive on. And I am an old Cavalry Sergeant... I expect everyone to pack the gear. I paid for 8 cylinders and I expect them all to work. No taking OEM, Union, Government sponsored smoke breaks while the other cylinders do the work. No sir. Every cylinder has to help move the vehicle.

This is one of the many reasons I finally dumped that junk and got a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0L. At least I don't have that AFM stuff shoved down my throat.

Edited by Cowpie
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Why people turn the v4 off? Only performance wise ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's turned off to allow the V8 you purchase to actually perform the way a V8 should. The AFM feature is a PITA but with the Govt. pushing so many regulations at the automobile manufacturers, each one of them needs to come up with a system to meet their ridiculous regulations.

Both of my AFM trucks (2008 & 2010 Silverado) were very obvious when switching back and forth from V8-V4 mode. You could feel the shutter of the engine each and every time it went from one to the other. GM has always claimed it was normal but there's no way it should be normal. Some of the GM trucks I have driven are actually flawless when switching and the only way to tell wad to have it displayed on the DIC.

It was highly debated, and still is, that AFM also caused/is the cause of the oil consumption that there are so many complaints about. (There was a huge thread here about that issue)

Funny thing is, guys like myself with trucks that have their AFM disabled through a tune do not experience the oil usage like the AFM active trucks have. After all this time, I haven't seen any oil consumption complaints from an owner of a tuned truck with the AFM disabled.

I am not a GM engineer but I have been around race engines and racing since I was a small child so I know a little bit about how things work. It can't be good for half of the engine to shut down, allow the cylinders slightly cool and then all of a sudden fire back up full speed and catch up with the ones that work full time.

If I was worried about fuel mileage, I wouldn't have bought 2 pickups. With the Govt. coming up with new regulations, pretty much on a daily basis, these V8 engines are going to be a thing of the past in the cery near future. Pretty sure that's why Ford is cramming the EcoBoost down their customers throats and discontinued the 6.2L trucks. They may be pretty smart tetting a head start on something coming down the pipe from good ole "big brother".

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Edited by BlackZ71Silverado