Duramax and Timing Belt

Okay so the BabyDMAX has a timing belt, not a chain. Who else does that potentially scare off (besides me), and who is not scared off? And why?

Do new school timing belts break like the did so often on my old Pinto (three times, thankfully that was not an interference engine so just left me stranded and not with a blown up motor)? I've only bought timing chain engines since then, sure like this BabyDMAX but I am skeered.

Belt doesn't lose tolerance over time like a chain. As long as it's replaced every now and then there's nothing to worry about IMO.

Okay that's good info, thanks. I guess there's three years history on this engine and I have not heard of any ongoing catastophic failures (timing belt included).

As soon as the babyDMAX is out I will test drive both it and the 3.6L, and not let the belt be a reason to not consider it.

Tons and tons of engines use belts. Personally I'd prefer chains but I wouldn't let a belt scare me away from the diesel if that was what I wanted. Plenty reliable, just don't ignore the change interval.

• Like 1

With all the issues with the DOHC 3.6 engines in the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook/CTS and their chain stretch, a belt is a welcome change. Plus, current day timing belts are night and day compared to 10-20 years ago. Wouldn't scare me one bit to own a mini Duramax.

Edited by newdude

Since I don't know anything about this engine I'll ask. If the belt were to snap, would it cause damage or would the engine just quit running correctly? I don't think it would concern me either way, just was curious.

This is an interference engine. Boom.

Edited by rvsixer

Replace the belt on schedule and I doubt anyone will ever see it break. Mistreat it and so many things could go wrong... Being a rear wheel drive 4 banger, replacement of the belt will probably be a super simple process. Maybe even less than a one day job for a shade tree type like me. The belt drive systems have a lot of good, as the belt also produces much less wear on the engine overall. It also keep heat in check easier, and will allow a lighter engine too. In this application, I would say that the belt choice is better.

Okay I am convinced, belt is fine. Change interval is every 150K miles, about every 8 years for me LOL. Can't wait for these to hit the lots, going to drive the 3.6L and babyDmax back to back and decide (I much prefer low end torque over horsepower for day to day driving).

Okay I am convinced, belt is fine. Change interval is every 150K miles, about every 8 years for me LOL. Can't wait for these to hit the lots, going to drive the 3.6L and babyDmax back to back and decide (I much prefer low end torque over horsepower for day to day driving).

Yea 3.6 has to be wound out to shine. I think this dmax will be a big hit.

The belt doesn't scare me, but gm delivering it with subpar tuning and the 6 speed trans does. No, I don't need a truck that will light up the tires every light but having spent time in the new Ram ecodiesel...man that thing is slow, on the verge of being too slow. I can only hope this lighter truck delivers and isn't JUST enough to skid by...