In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Service Brake System Message

The story goes back about two months I was driving and thanks to a guy in a Mercedes I had to slam my brakes really hard and go from 45 MPH to a dead stop in the shortest distance I've ever seen a full size truck stop. My brakes did exactly what they're supposed to do and I was really impressed because my truck stopped 6 feet before destroying the foreign SUV. However since that happened I now get a message on my odometer that says "SERVICE BRAKE SYSTEM". Logically it would be the brakes but I know my brakes are fine because they don't squeel or vibrate when I stop or anything unusual. I get the message when I'm accelerating or suddenly take my foot off the gas pedal. When the problem started it wasn't that bad but now it's getting really bad.

Here is a youtube video of my driving to work yesterday morning taking my foot off the acceleator.

It's starting to bother me because I live 45 miles from where I work and having that dinging going off when I'm driving to and from work is very annoying. I already threatened to trade my truck in to go back to a Ford because sometimes that works lol. All kidding aside though, any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks you guys in advanced!

Adrian

Stop by an auto parts store and see if there is a code in the ECM. Free and easy. Otherwise, your good deed may cost you a visit to the dealer...I wouldn't let a regular shop work on a problem like that.

I got that message after having to slam on the brakes in my 05. My brake fluid was low, topped it off and never saw it again.

Have you checked fluid level?

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jason Fowler
      I am new to the forum here and I apologize if this has been asked prior, I tried searching, but came up empty.  

I have a 2020 Sierra 2500 Denali and for the past 5k miles or so I have had noise in the rear.  I learned there was a safety bulletin on the rear brakes due to noise, but because I was out of the B2B warranty and it was not covered and would be an out of pocket expense.  With my son in the business can do the work, so I went ahead and ordered and paid for a set of brake pads and now have been waiting for almost 3 weeks.  The dealer told me that GM is not releasing the pads (I suspect unless the dealer is doing the work) and that they have no expected date of delivery.  

I'd like to stay with OEM, any recommendations on where I can locate a set would be greatly appreciated.  Or if anyone has a recommendation on a good aftermarket set of pads, that would be appreciated as well.  

Rotars are no problem, I have them, just waiting on the pads.  

Thanks.  
    • By NorthIdahoTexan
      Experienced a one-off braking issue while descending a 7% grade. Had driven ~100 miles, stopping as needed with no issues. Began descending about 3 miles of maximum 7% grade touching the brakes infrequently as my 2018 Silverado 2500HD Duramax does a great job of reducing speed when off the petal. No towing selector, downshifting, no engine brake engaged. I’m just about to level ground, slowly apply my brakes and HELLO! Front-end/wheels start shaking like I’m about to throw a wheel. I feather braked to a stop on a side street, checked for play in the wheels and nothing evident. Continued another 120 miles, up hill/down hill, two 9% grades and only one instance of a very light wobble.
      Suggestions/similar situations?
    • By Rey11
      The only way for the gauge cluster to work is by pressing, and holding down the reset button on the cluster, like why? If I don’t nothing works
    • By Dave Kuntz
      I have a 2019 Sierra HD with integrated brake controller.   I'm towing a 5th wheel camper with two axles and electric brakes on each.  Behind the camper I'm town an ATV trailer with two axles, but only one of them has an electric brake.  Towing either of the trailers individually there are no issues with the trucks brake controller to control the brakes on the trailer.  But with both trailers connected the truck won't apply any 'juice' to the brakes.  It does nothing - no brakes on their trailer.  When I manually apply the brake controller it does nothing.  GM is telling me the truck is only designed to handle two sets of electric brakes and if I want to handle 3, I would need to add an after market controller to control the 2nd trailer separately.  I can understand that, but does it make sense the trucks computer/controller would not apply any 'juice' to the brakes when it senses too much resistance via the 3 sets of brakes?  Has anyone had this issue?  How did you resolve?
    • By coyotech
      My new old '88 truck needs a new brake light switch. It's got a release switch thing for cruise control in front of it (but no cruise control on the column), and I'm wondering if anyone with a similar set up can give me some basic tips on how to get to that brake light switch, in order to take it out. Can you wiggle your fingers around in there and get it loose, or will I have to take something off to get to it? The cruise control switch is on the brass bracket from the steering column. Even if I take the cruise control switch out, it's hard to get to the brake light switch. But I'm new at this, so maybe I'm whining too early or missing something.