Mine came on today.   Last week I was in 4 wheel drive when I parked.   When I started the truck I tried to switch back into 2WD and the DIC said "Service 4 Wheel Drive."   It  would not change back to 2WD.  I then (after some google) put in N and switched to 4 LO.   It shifted.   I then was able to move to 2WD.     

Was fine for a little over a week.   Then today I got:   "Service Stabilitrak".  and... "Steering Assist Reduced,  Drive with Care".   The truck is at the dealer.   Been most of the day.   Still no word.    2017 1500 with 14,000 miles.

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2015 at 8:52 AM, Blizzard721 said:

Mine is stuck in 4 wheel drive. Reprogramming didn't help, it lasted a couple of hours! After the reprogram it flagged the alarm again while I was driving with it in 4hi. Contacted GM last week but they have not gotten back to me! Trying to back in of dry pavement is brutal and I'm just causing more damage! Come on GM.....fix my truck!!

What did they end up doing to fix your truck ?

6 months after they finally had a software update and it's been 4 years now and brutally cold here in Labrador....no issues since! The only trouble I've had in the 5 years of owning this truck was that 4 × 4 issue and I had to have my oil pump changed! Started hearing a sound like an old power steering pump with low oil....had it checked and good thing I did! Caught the oil pump before it failed! Other than that absolutely no issues!!! 

Man they’re still telling me their is no fix for it my truck has been at the dealer for a week because they want $1000 to replace my tcm when I said I couldn’t  afford that they said it was a purge switch and they will do that for 450 I’m like no this should be can breed under my warranty and which one is it one or the other. They then said it is not covered and I owe them 109 for a diagnosis fee I’m trying to figure out what I should do. I should not have to pay a dime for this 

Edited by 14silveradosucks

I had the loss of power steering recall done and a month later it started doing it again the dealer said it was the angle position sensor they said it went bad from some type of impact ? I said yea from the loss of power steering issues the steering wheel would rip out of my hand that the impact. They said nope made me pay 500 I’m done I feel like their should be a lawsuit here

7 hours ago, Blizzard721 said:

6 months after they finally had a software update and it's been 4 years now and brutally cold here in Labrador....no issues since! The only trouble I've had in the 5 years of owning this truck was that 4 × 4 issue and I had to have my oil pump changed! Started hearing a sound like an old power steering pump with low oil....had it checked and good thing I did! Caught the oil pump before it failed! Other than that absolutely no issues!!! 

Also not to mention they reset my computer a few time and it worked then came back in to 4wd I called and the head tech said he knows what it is out of no where saying it’s an update. Ok so I brought it in now they’re saying it’s euther tcm or purge switch This truck has sat more than I have driven it this isn’t right some one help 

Any way you can get your truck to a different dealership....that's just bad service where you're taking it! I'd be driving a different truck by now if I had any trouble! For the price we pay for these I'm not taking any crap from a dealer....fix it or I'm trading it! Elsewhere!! 

• 4 weeks later...

2014 GMC was stuck in 4WD (High) with message "Service 4WD"    As with several other comments....not 100% what caused it but....transfer case was stuck in 4WD (high) and the light on the selector dial would only come on when the selector dial was on "AUTO".    But it was not in "Auto" it was in 4WD (High).   To test if it was the electrical or mechanical, with the truck off,  I first removed the fuse #6 (FWD) in fuse panel in the engine comp (without DC power it shifts to 2wd)   I did a short test drive to see if the 4WD had disengaged and it had.   When I put the fuse back in, it reengaged the FWD and the actuator was still stuck, turning the dial on the dash still did nothing. 

To resolve or get it to reset.  I left the truck engine running and again removed the fuse.  With the engine still running, I turned the dial to 4WD (hi) and put the fuse back in.  This time is cycled and the light on the dial was now on when it was in 4WD hi,  to match what the transfer case was positioned in.   

Now when I rotated the dial it shifted to Auto, 2WD, etc. with the light blinking during shift just like it is supposed to.   It has been working fine since then.  I sort of viewed it as forcing it to reboot.    I may have been able to get this same result with the ignition switch simply turned (without the engine running), but that isn't how I did it.         

• 2 months later...

I assume I’ll be calling Chevy in the morning. 2015 Silverado has been fine, then boom. Service 4 wheel drive! I can barely back it up! I’ve tried neutral, setting it to 2 WD. nothing! She’s sitting at 60,325 miles right now. I just took her for an oil change and my dealership literally gave me a paper that they inspected everything. I am so frustrated! Plus it went in 2 months ago for the power steering update.

On 5/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Mr.GGMMCC said:

2014 GMC was stuck in 4WD (High) with message "Service 4WD"    As with several other comments....not 100% what caused it but....transfer case was stuck in 4WD (high) and the light on the selector dial would only come on when the selector dial was on "AUTO".    But it was not in "Auto" it was in 4WD (High).   To test if it was the electrical or mechanical, with the truck off,  I first removed the fuse #6 (FWD) in fuse panel in the engine comp (without DC power it shifts to 2wd)   I did a short test drive to see if the 4WD had disengaged and it had.   When I put the fuse back in, it reengaged the FWD and the actuator was still stuck, turning the dial on the dash still did nothing. 

To resolve or get it to reset.  I left the truck engine running and again removed the fuse.  With the engine still running, I turned the dial to 4WD (hi) and put the fuse back in.  This time is cycled and the light on the dial was now on when it was in 4WD hi,  to match what the transfer case was positioned in.   

Now when I rotated the dial it shifted to Auto, 2WD, etc. with the light blinking during shift just like it is supposed to.   It has been working fine since then.  I sort of viewed it as forcing it to reboot.    I may have been able to get this same result with the ignition switch simply turned (without the engine running), but that isn't how I did it.         

This solution worked for me like a charm on my '16 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, it took the system a second when I put the 30 amp fuse #6 back in, but then it said "4 Wheel Drive Shift In Progress", and the selector worked like it should, no more "Service 4WD" message!

• 3 months later...
On 2/7/2015 at 10:31 AM, Blizzard721 said:

This problem is totally pissing me off....2 months now and still no fix! I only have 6000 km on mine and stuck in 4 wd....Thank God its not stuck in 4 low or 2 wd!!! I called GM and requested my money back but the wouldn't give! Seriously. ...if it was stuck in reverse would they still expect you to use it! This truck is broke! FIX IT!!!

Sounds like its time for Mary Barra to put up part of her 28 mill and fix this.  Class Action suit will be needed.  Not everyone is having the problem

• 1 year later...
On 5/10/2019 at 11:38 AM, Mr.GGMMCC said:

Worked like a charm on my 2015 Silverado 1500!  Saved us hundreds of dollars, I'm sure!  Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 12:38 PM, Mr.GGMMCC said:

Same issue with my 2015 silverado. Indication light on the dial would only come one when the dial was in the auto position although stuck in 4 Hi. 

Took it into the dealer tonight at closing time hoping they could get a look at it tomorrow. 20 minutes after I got home I found this solution. Went back to the dealer with a spare set of keys and tried this. Worked like a charm. Back in 2wd and shifting great between the 2wd-auto-4hi-4lo....I guess I will have to go back to get my keys I left with them.

Wife was happy I didnt have to spend my allowance. She'll probably spend it on her boy friend now. 

Edited by Kickingrockssince
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this fix.   I was gonna bring my truck to gmc over an hour away to have it re programed.  Was also thinking transfer case was shot.    Again thank you so much.  Tried all kinds of quick fixes on the net for two days now and this worked.    !!!    This should be a sticky.  Pin.  Something.   To note i was getting the "service 4wd" code and also my switch was showing auto but was actually stuck in 4hi.  

Edited by Steve2517
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 5:46 PM, Kickingrockssince said:

Wife was happy I didnt have to spend my allowance. She'll probably spend it on her boy friend now. 

So, it sounds like everyone is happy with your fix????🤔😬  

• Haha 1