Gas Pedal Flex Solution

FL335i

On 1/23/2018 at 1:45 PM, reardiff said:

This is on my to do list for tonight.  Is it possible to 'over shim' and put too much pressure on the bracket and break something?

I checked out the wife's Tahoe last night which has the adjustable pedals and hers actually had more play than mine.  I got it all shimmed up so I 'll see if she notices a difference or not,  but she didn't squeal tire out of the garage this morning so she probably won't even notice lol.  

Reardiff,  I don't think you can over shim it within reason,  just try to get close to the right thickness and pull up slightly on the pedal to slide in your material and let the assembly hold it in you shouldn't break anything unless you go all magilla gorilla on it lol.  

On 10/8/2017 at 12:08 PM, Iceman22 said:

Just to the scene; I have adjustable pedals maxed out in down position. I pulled the plastic loop under the pedal up and out as far as a I could and began stacking shims until there was absolutely 0 play between the plastic bracket and the firewall. Ended up having to stack 4 high at a measured thickness of 0.48 inch total.

Anyone else get close to a 1/2 inch of shim? I thought this seemed pretty high to what I remember reading....

In any event; I took it for a test drive and my immediate impression is night and day. It has removed a significant amount of delay in the throttle response!

Yep, I used 4 washers, electrical-taped together, and crammed them up under there (rather awkward with big hands) as best I could.

It is DEFINITELY more responsive, and it may just be the placebo effect, but I think the shifting is a little better at low speeds.

I have the adjustable pedals, but they're not adjusted all the way down.  The play in mine seemed to be all side-to-side (huge-amazing! but probably isn't be a factor for me since I'm pushing down).  Not too much slack when pushing down with my hand.  Put the paint stick fix in anyway, wrapped with electric tape, but couldn't tell a difference with the built-in hesitation that these engines already have...may try to put more, if 1/2" is possible as mentioned above. 

• 2 months later...

I just shimmed my gas pedal bracket, and I think it made a huge difference.  I have adjustable pedals too.  I didn't tell my wife that i did it,  but while being my DD the other night, she asked if I spent money on a tune or something.  She could tell the difference, and she's just a dumb blonde...lol...j/k

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I tried this fix.  I pulled back on the accelerator pedal and placed two stacked neoprene rubber washers - each 1/8 inch thick and 2 inches round - under the black plastic bracket to take up the gas pedal flex.  I was able to push the rubber washers far enough up behind the bracket where the lower bolt/nut is located that I could barely see the edge of the washers - and that is looking from under the dash.  That bolt/nut as stated in prior posts must not go clear through the floorboard.

Then I drove the truck.  Wow!  What a difference in throttle response.  Great tip.  Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sierra Dan said:

I bet the GM Engineers love this thread!  :lol:

Maybe the 2019 T1XX trucks will come with paint stick or rubber washer shim kits :thumbs:

It will be in the accessories catalog and available at the accessories counter at your local stealership. List price on “kit” will be $49.99 + tax & $54 for labor (just like the cabin air filter :rolleyes:

Edited by wforrest08
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
I have my adjustable pedals all the way to the floor and they don't flex. Is this what others experience?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My adjusted pedals flexed no matter where I set them. I shimmed mine a year ago and it's been great since.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I just picked a 2018 Silverado LT up last week and noticed the poor tip in response.  I noticed the flex as well.  I quickly stuck a paint stick in there and it is a world of difference.  On that, i am looking for a more permanent solution.  I have a 3d printer at work, has anyone come up with a design that can be 3d printed?  

Thanks, 

I just picked a 2018 Silverado LT up last week and noticed the poor tip in response.  I noticed the flex as well.  I quickly stuck a paint stick in there and it is a world of difference.  On that, i am looking for a more permanent solution.  I have a 3d printer at work, has anyone come up with a design that can be 3d printed?  

Thanks, 

Print a paint stick?