Just got a call from the dealer, #6 cylinder had two bent pushrods. So many people keeps saying its the GDI. I would say that if the people complaining about hear it, it's probably not the GDI because you can barley here that unless your standing next to it.

How many miles is on your truck?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got a call from the dealer, #6 cylinder had two bent pushrods. So many people keeps saying its the GDI. I would say that if the people complaining about hear it, it's probably not the GDI because you can barley here that unless your standing next to it.

2014 LTZ with 6.2 and 16000 miles. Started sudden noticeable loud ticking sound and within 3 miles check engine light with a PO324 DTC (knock sensor out of range) Truck runs weak and stumbles with throttle. OBDII monitor shows it is really pulling spark advance. Barely drive-able. Took it to the dealer this am, so far identified #4 intake pushrod as bent. Head is coming off to try to find a cause.

2014 LTZ with 6.2 and 16000 miles. Started sudden noticeable loud ticking sound and within 3 miles check engine light with a PO324 DTC (knock sensor out of range) Truck runs weak and stumbles with throttle. OBDII monitor shows it is really pulling spark advance. Barely drive-able. Took it to the dealer this am, so far identified #4 intake pushrod as bent. Head is coming off to try to find a cause.

Update: After about a week it is back to me repaired under warranty. A rare (but known to GM) event happened where air that is somehow introduced into the oil pressure system finds it's way to one of the valve lifters. This over pressurizes the lifter and allows the valve to hit the top of the piston which in turn bends the valve and bends the push rod. I thinks this can only happen on the intake side of the 6.2 direct injected engines introduced in 2014 or later, but that is just conjecture on my part. In my case I think it happened at or very soon after a cold start up at idle or below 2,000 RPM. High engine RPM's were in noway involved. The involved valve springs were OK and valve guides were to spec. The head was removed, disassembled and magnafluxed and it checked out fine. Again it was stressed to me this is a rare event, the first one seen by my particular Chevy dealer. I would assume that this type of thing would be at a minimum covered by the 5 year, 100k mile warranty. So rare or not, I'm no sure I would want to own this without warranty coverage.

Update: After about a week it is back to me repaired under warranty. A rare (but known to GM) event happened where air that is somehow introduced into the oil pressure system finds it's way to one of the valve lifters. This over pressurizes the lifter and allows the valve to hit the top of the piston which in turn bends the valve and bends the push rod. I thinks this can only happen on the intake side of the 6.2 direct injected engines introduced in 2014 or later, but that is just conjecture on my part. In my case I think it happened at or very soon after a cold start up at idle or below 2,000 RPM. High engine RPM's were in noway involved. The involved valve springs were OK and valve guides were to spec. The head was removed, disassembled and magnafluxed and it checked out fine. Again it was stressed to me this is a rare event, the first one seen by my particular Chevy dealer. I would assume that this type of thing would be at a minimum covered by the 5 year, 100k mile warranty. So rare or not, I'm no sure I would want to own this without warranty coverage.

Air is commpressable, liquid(oil) is not. Air in the lifter cannot overextend or pump up the lifter. In fact air in the lifter will make it soft actually decreasing rather than increasing valve lift. I call BS on this explanation.

The "air in the system" was the quick explanation I received from my service tech. I think he was trying to simplify what maybe a complex problem. The repair detail sent to me by mail offered more details and poses more questions. Total repair bill was $1824.63 with a long list of replaced parts. 4 lifters; 2 valves; 2 push rods; the bottom level of the valley manifold (12660737); 2 different fuel rail supply pipes and a long list of gaskets, gasket kits, seals and seal kits. In their words " FOUND #4 PUSH ROD BENT. REMOVED CYLINDER HEAD FOR FURTHER INSPECTION. REPLACED ALL NECESSARY GASKETS AND SEAL, SUBLET REBUILD OF CYLINDER HEAD. REPLACED VALVES, LIFTERS AND SEALS AS NECESSARY. INSTALLED NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD. CHANGED OIL AND FILTER" If you look at the lifters used (12645725) they look a little more complex than a old style lifter. I know the engine has variable valve timing system that uses oil pressure to advance or retard the camshaft. I'm not sure how the system works to shut off some of the cylinders and not others.

Found one bent push rod, but replaced two and replaced four lifters. He replace the lower part of the intake manifold (12660737) at a cost of $214.41 for the part. This may have been a part of the problem. From the way the tech was talking (known problem) there maybe a TSB on this issue.

If the link works, it shows how the DOD uses special lifters to keep the valves closed during deactivation. The four lifters replaced were of the deactivation type.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ChevyTrucks_95,

We're sorry t hear of your concern with a loud ticking sound. I understand that you are unsatisfied with your dealerships diagnosis, that this is normal. We'd be glad to discuss your concerns further or locate a different dealership for a second diagnosis. Please feel free to send us a PM here on the site if our help is needed!

Andraya

GM Customer Care

Andraya,

I have a 2015 silverado that does the same thing. It has been like that from day one. The salesman had told me that it was the fuel pump in the new trucks. I also have a friend that has the same truck and you cant even hear his truck running.

Please contact me so I can send you my information.

• 1 month later...

I noticed a loud ticking noise coming from the engine on my 2014 silverado after couple of trips/rounds with dealership telling me it was normal truck noise, I ended up taking a trip to dealership and borrowing a sounding bar ( long screwdriver) to prove that the noise was coming from the vacuum pump. I quick search on the ol interweb came back with multitude of hits with the same issue, so why are dealership hesitate to check the Vacuum pump first???

• 7 months later...

I purchased a used 2015 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 Off Road, 5.3L, from a local dealership in the middle of January 2017 with 21400 miles, now 22800 mile. I never noticed the noise while driving the truck but when I was out of the cab with it running it sounds like it's more than a minor ticking noise. I took it back to get it checked out and the Service Manager at the Dealership said it was normal, took them a week to tell me that.

I'm not a mechanic but I'm having a difficult time with their analysis so I recorded the noise for others to listen to - https://goo.gl/photo...f3kuzJuJ2y7sns6

I'm at a loss and this is a sound that shouldn't be coming from any vehicle with less than 25000 miles. Another thing is that I have noticed that the oil pressure shows 30lbs when warm and idling.

Cross posted under Topic: 2015 Silverado ticking noise coming from bottom of engine (Forum: 2014 / 2015 / 2016 Silverado & Sierra Issues, Troubleshooting, & Recalls/Service Bulletins)
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/178856-2015-silverado-ticking-noise-coming-from-bottom-of-engine/

• 2 weeks later...

The "air in the system" was the quick explanation I received from my service tech. I think he was trying to simplify what maybe a complex problem. The repair detail sent to me by mail offered more details and poses more questions. Total repair bill was $1824.63 with a long list of replaced parts. 4 lifters; 2 valves; 2 push rods; the bottom level of the valley manifold (12660737); 2 different fuel rail supply pipes and a long list of gaskets, gasket kits, seals and seal kits. In their words " FOUND #4 PUSH ROD BENT. REMOVED CYLINDER HEAD FOR FURTHER INSPECTION. REPLACED ALL NECESSARY GASKETS AND SEAL, SUBLET REBUILD OF CYLINDER HEAD. REPLACED VALVES, LIFTERS AND SEALS AS NECESSARY. INSTALLED NEW INTAKE MANIFOLD. CHANGED OIL AND FILTER" If you look at the lifters used (12645725) they look a little more complex than a old style lifter. I know the engine has variable valve timing system that uses oil pressure to advance or retard the camshaft. I'm not sure how the system works to shut off some of the cylinders and not others.

Found one bent push rod, but replaced two and replaced four lifters. He replace the lower part of the intake manifold (12660737) at a cost of $214.41 for the part. This may have been a part of the problem. From the way the tech was talking (known problem) there maybe a TSB on this issue.

If the link works, it shows how the DOD uses special lifters to keep the valves closed during deactivation. The four lifters replaced were of the deactivation type.

I have been chasing this problem for months w/ my dealer with no solution. Truck throws a code, either random misfire or cylinder #7 misfire when not fully warmed up. I have the loud (not CDI) ticking everyone is talking about. I get the same response from the dealer you guys have all had. First it was plugs, then wires, then i fell for the fuel system cleaning.... I recently went to a "non-dealership" mechanic who claimed to have experience w/ the 5.3 ticking noises. He says he is getting these in w/ the same problem left and right, says it is the active fuel mgt system, (V8/V4) He says the problem is the lifters are failing (from what appears to be lack of lubrication) that activate the AFM system. In other words the ones that turn off the 4 cylinders. This diagnosis lines up w/ what TerryNY2 has experienced though his dealer appears to be giving him a line of BS about why. Has anyone else heard of this TICKING being failed lifters for the AFM system???? Hate to tear a motor apart looking for a mechanical problem to find it is electrical or a pump, but i really do not believe it is the CDI or a pump.

• 2 weeks later...

Some trucks have a louder click than than others and mine is pretty loud. As others have stated this is the direct injection pump and injectors making the noise. Somewhere I saw a pic of a 2014 Cadillac 5.3 engine that had an additional plastic cover over on top of the engine. I think that it has sound insulation underneath? Anyway I would love to have one of those covers for my 5.3 in my truck to try to make it less noisy. I am seeing what appears to be mounting posts protruding from the top of my engine that I suspect are used to mount that sound cover? Are they possibly putting these on the 2015 trucks now??? I want one real bad but the ones on the Cadillac's have the Cadillac emblem in the middle that might not look real good on a GMC Sierra haha. Let me know if you guys find a source............

The other oddball noise when starting is like a rasp and the dealer says that this is air getting into the oil pump system when it drains down and is NORMAL. I saw a youtube video posted somewhere of a guy that recorded it so apparently that is really common and may actually be as the dealer says NORMAL (operating as designed)

I have a 2016 5.3 with 6K on it... started noticing this quick rap/bearing type sound on 1st start of the day after truck sitting all night.... most notable when using the remote starter standing next to vehicle..... I thought it sounded like a short bearing rap..... your dealer said its the oil pump...? anyone else having this same issue/sound...?...thx

• 9 months later...

Archived