Air bag premature detonation????

I was driving on the highway when I got forced off the road by a semi. It had snowed so the edge of the road was slick. I managed to miss a guard rail but went into an arroyo or a small natural ditch. Well I smacked the left side step and it deployed my curtain side airbags and locked up my seat belts. The damage is minimal and not enough that airbags should have deployed. Anyone else have anything like this happen.

It was the angle that deployed the side curtain. I suspect the truck rolled over on its side more than you felt.

The side air bags deploy based off of impact but there sensor that determines the angle.

Enough force and angle so it triggered.

These trucks have to much bs that's why they cost too much, it takes nothing on these new vehicles to set off alarms warnings and bags, hence ins rates are up lol

By "bs" you mean, safety equipment that can save your life?

Yes and no, Im just not convinced I need side airbags in these big trucks, and all these sensors, driving around I find myself always thinking someone is trying to merge, instead its a dumb blind spot light, maybe they could find a way to engineer a truck and mirror w/o blindspots

Yes and no, Im just not convinced I need side airbags in these big trucks, and all these sensors, driving around I find myself always thinking someone is trying to merge, instead its a dumb blind spot light, maybe they could find a way to engineer a truck and mirror w/o blindspots

Well you paid extra for the blind spot monitoring system. Should of not checked off that box if you didn't understand how it worked. Could of also spent $10 at Autozone for these little guys.

http://www.autozone.com/exterior/blind-spot-mirror/pilot-automotive-3-1-4-in-square-blind-spot-mirror/256842_0_0/

And side curtain air bags protect agains neck and head trauma. The smart people over at the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety did a study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20887843

I agree on some of what you say. I like some technology including the TC and stabilitak. But I don't care much for parking sensors. The rear camera helps a lot but I don't need parking sensors. I also don't need heated or cooled seats (prefer cloth seats anyways) or heated steering wheel. As for the side airbags, just because it's a big truck doesn't mean that it doesn't need side airbags. Just a different design than a car's side airbags. As for mirrors without blindspots, all I did was buy a couple blindspot mirrors and I don't have any blind spots other than right beside the truck which I can just look. I think you'd need a huge mirror to not have any blindspots at all. Even tow mirrors have blind spots, it's just the nature of the beast.

if you don't think you need side curtain airbags, ask a first responder what happens to people that get hit and have no side curtain airbags in a heavy collision. I have seen people walk away with minor injuries when they were involved in a major collision to where you could barely tell what kind of vehicle it was and then I have seen people DOA in what appeared to be a vehicle that did not have much damage. whether that was b/c they were either wearing their seat belt and/or the air bags saved them from receiving major head trauma. It is really amazing how far technology has come over the years, most of these features really save lives everyday.

I am not one for all these nanny type aids vehicles have now days but the airbags and crash studies (crumple zones) are really important.

I think jamin is talking more about the lane keep, lane depart, ect warnings and not the actual in a crash safety items. I am not a fan of those (it was #3 most useless car option on Jalopnik). Air bags though I am all for, and after experiencing a hydroplane incident when my GF was driving her Rav-4 and it fixing for her what should have been a spin I am all for those too (as long as I can turn it off to hoon). Some sensors are just too intrusive. My buddy was off roading his H3 a few years ago when the side air bags went off.

While I am good with safety (to an extent) and it certainly had reduced the death toll and made cars much safer, some are just getting a little overboard.

Tyler

I agree on some of what you say. I like some technology including the TC and stabilitak. But I don't care much for parking sensors. The rear camera helps a lot but I don't need parking sensors. I also don't need heated or cooled seats (prefer cloth seats anyways) or heated steering wheel. As for the side airbags, just because it's a big truck doesn't mean that it doesn't need side airbags. Just a different design than a car's side airbags. As for mirrors without blindspots, all I did was buy a couple blindspot mirrors and I don't have any blind spots other than right beside the truck which I can just look. I think you'd need a huge mirror to not have any blindspots at all. Even tow mirrors have blind spots, it's just the nature of the beast.

Why did you just not get a truck without those options.

I don't have: heated seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot sensors or parking sensors.

I have cloth seats, and my mirror has the little circle to see in my blind spot.

I love the back up camera. I bet it will be the single most use feature on this truck.

It will be so much easier to hook up a trailer.

I don't care one way or the other about the air bags.

Insurance on this truck was exactly the same as my 2010, to the penny.

I don't have the lane depature and wouldn't have it, but I like the heated seats and all of the extra safety features if it means my wife or myself make it home while we are driving the truck.

I thought as much. Insurance is going to pay out the nose on this one. For just curtain side airbags/seatbelts which also have explosives in them around 3000.00.-4000.00. Damn thats crazy. last quote from just a visual aspect of damage combigned with airbags equaled 6000.00 plus.

Yes it is great that the safety features are so high tech and all. However, I am driving a four by four all terrain truck...we by no means rolled over...it just suprised me that it would happen like it did. I know I know thank goodness we were fine. Just dont think going off road in a big mean truck should mean rolling the dice on popping air bags again. Besides now my truck will have all this crap on its car report forever. I went to a dealer to see what they would give for a truck that this happened too and they told me flat out that its worth about 25,000. now that it happened. I just laughed...what a bunch of idiots. Glad that I am keeping it but man if thats what its worth now what did I pay for? curtain side airbags and some paint?

I thought as much. Insurance is going to pay out the nose on this one. For just curtain side airbags/seatbelts which also have explosives in them around 3000.00.-4000.00. Damn thats crazy. last quote from just a visual aspect of damage combigned with airbags equaled 6000.00 plus.

Yes it is great that the safety features are so high tech and all. However, I am driving a four by four all terrain truck...we by no means rolled over...it just suprised me that it would happen like it did. I know I know thank goodness we were fine. Just dont think going off road in a big mean truck should mean rolling the dice on popping air bags again. Besides now my truck will have all this crap on its car report forever. I went to a dealer to see what they would give for a truck that this happened too and they told me flat out that its worth about 25,000. now that it happened. I just laughed...what a bunch of idiots. Glad that I am keeping it but man if thats what its worth now what did I pay for? curtain side airbags and some paint?

Well by your own admission you did hit the side step. How hard? Hard enough to deploy the side air bags.

I managed to miss a guard rail but went into an arroyo or a small natural ditch. Well I smacked the left side step and it deployed my curtain side airbags and locked up my seat belts....

I'm guessing that insurance will cover all repairs. If so just take it to a good body shop. The "crap" on your trucks carfax really won't mean anything and since you are deciding to keep the truck it'll mean less. Safety equipment is not meant to be cheap, its meant to save lives. Now there have been instances where air bags have accidentally deployed. One I can remember off the top off my is of this Cadillac at an autocross.

Guessing he tripped one of the sensors that detects roll overs which caused them to deploy.

Well by your own admission you did hit the side step. How hard? Hard enough to deploy the side air bags.

I'm guessing that insurance will cover all repairs. If so just take it to a good body shop. The "crap" on your trucks carfax really won't mean anything and since you are deciding to keep the truck it'll mean less. Safety equipment is not meant to be cheap, its meant to save lives. Now there have been instances where air bags have accidentally deployed. One I can remember off the top off my is of this Cadillac at an autocross.

Guessing he tripped one of the sensors that detects roll overs which caused them to deploy.

Yeah I cant argue with the science behind saving lives. I just dont believe it was worth all the fuss. I researched it and it happens alot with the roll over sensors when people are at odd angles. I am not a rock climber with my baby but I like to explore and go hunting I can only imagine a bad angle in the mountains or something and being shit out of luck on a curtian side bag deployment.

Oh and I guess hard enough to bend the steps slightly. Regardless, I was told by three seperate body shops that that should not have happend. I will be taking the steps off most likely and putting on power steps that dont hang down so damn low.

Why did you just not get a truck without those options.

I don't have: heated seats, heated steering wheel, blind spot sensors or parking sensors.

I have cloth seats, and my mirror has the little circle to see in my blind spot.

I love the back up camera. I bet it will be the single most use feature on this truck.

It will be so much easier to hook up a trailer.

I don't care one way or the other about the air bags.

Insurance on this truck was exactly the same as my 2010, to the penny.

I didn't...., I have an LT and I have cloth seats. The factory blind spot mirror is too high for me and I had the same stick on mirrors on my last truck.

Archived