Voice Prompts no Longer working.

Just wondering if any one here has had their voice prompts in their truck stop working. Mine haven't worked since the end of the November. Worked with Chevy online support, their suggestions were wait a few key cycles on the truck, disconnect the phone and reconnect, and I did all that, and they told me to take it to the dealer. Long story short, finally was able to get the truck into the Dealer today to take care of my two outstanding recalls and look at my voice prompt issue. Dealership says that it's the button that needs to be replaced. Although when button is pressed, the voice prompt screen flashes on my info screen and immediately goes away. My concern is I'm a firm believer that once something is torn apart, it's never quite the same. I'd hate to have the dealership have to take my dash apart to replace a button, then open up an issue of creaks and squeaks, in what is now a perfectly quiet truck. Thanks in advance.

Well i was able to get the issue resolved with out having the button replaced. Because I had contacted GM prior to my appointment with the dealership regarding the voice prompts not working. They called me after my appointment to see if the issue had been resolved. I explained that the dealership wanted to replace the steering wheel control, but I was concerned that they would just be throwing parts at it, because the button worked for incoming calls and worked for everything else besides initializing voice prompts. The rep did a little further research and came across a service bulletin with the following direction.

1. Go into the Settings menu and select the Language setting.
2. Toggle the Language setting through all available options then back to the desired language
3. Re-evaluate for the concern. If voice recognition now works, no further diagnostics are required.

After following the above steps, my voice prompts were now working again. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Edited by obrien19
  • Like 5

• 4 years later...
On 1/8/2015 at 5:57 PM, obrien19 said:

Well i was able to get the issue resolved with out having the button replaced. Because I had contacted GM prior to my appointment with the dealership regarding the voice prompts not working. They called me after my appointment to see if the issue had been resolved. I explained that the dealership wanted to replace the steering wheel control, but I was concerned that they would just be throwing parts at it, because the button worked for incoming calls and worked for everything else besides initializing voice prompts. The rep did a little further research and came across a service bulletin with the following direction.

1. Go into the Settings menu and select the Language setting.
2. Toggle the Language setting through all available options then back to the desired language
3. Re-evaluate for the concern. If voice recognition now works, no further diagnostics are required.

After following the above steps, my voice prompts were now working again. Hopefully this will help someone else in the future.

Thank You for helping fix this issue. 

Ive actually had this happen as well...

Mine would “pick up” when I hit the button, but never hear or understand me. Really annoying. So it’d be telling me what I can say, go ahead, etc... I’d be yelling at my truck. Handsfree calling still worked, so it wasn’t the mic.

Brought it by the dealer and after 30 minutes they came back and said it was fixed. They had unplugged my dash cam and it started working. I’m not one to argue with success, but I ended up plugging it back in after leaving and I haven’t had a problem since. Who knows. I think it’s likely a coincidence that it started working right then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...

I have been driving around for the last 6+ months with my voice prompts but working. I would push the button it would open and then immediately close. I just filtered your suggestions of toggling through the language setting and in less then a minute it fixed the problem. Thanks!!

• 1 year later...

being a newby I have read your comments about the voice command. My sis has a 2015 chevy silverado. She has problems with the gps not giving verbal directions. It will sound like a crackle in the speaker, then it  gives the first, go to command for the trip, but then will no longer give the verbal directions. It will still show the directions as a list, but no voice.

Any one who has had this, send to me please. Shes 84 and I have to know how to fix all of her electronics! And I know enough to be dangerous. But also when to stop when its not my vehicle.

Fran