2016 1500 2500HD 3500HD News

Any info on what GM is doing for 2016 model year for Silverado / Sierra trucks?

• Is GM going to make us wait until April when they release the order guides with new features, etc. ?
  • I am guessing the 8 speed automatic will be available with the 4.3 & 5.3 2016 Model Year.
  • Rumors have it the 10 speed automatic will be available in 2017 model year. (2017 Ford Raptor has 10 speed auto)
  • Are we ever going to get a 1/2 ton Diesel? Ram and Nissan have one.
  • I thought 2016 model year was supposed to introduce a new Duramax for 2500HD / 3500HD Trucks. (Don't get me wrong, the LML is a great engine but a refresh of the mechanical is always exciting.)

2016 / 2017 ? New Duramax Rumors

http://www.tfltruck.com/2014/07/2016-gmc-sierra-2500-duramax-high-altitude-testing/

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2014/07/spied-2016-2017-chevroletgmc-duramax.html

• Is GM going to make us wait until April when they release the order guides with new features, etc. ? YES... Probably longer.

• I am guessing the 8 speed automatic will be available with the 4.3 & 5.3 2016 Model Year. Maybe for the 5.3 probably not for the 4.3.

Rumors have it the 10 speed automatic will be available in 2017 model year. (2017 Ford Raptor has 10 speed auto) Do we need a 10 speed just because Ford has one?

Are we ever going to get a 1/2 ton Diesel? Ram and Nissan have one. Maybe. Depends on how well DODGE and Nissan do with theirs and also if GM thinks they could sell enough of them to justify making them.

I thought 2016 model year was supposed to introduce a new Duramax for 2500HD / 3500HD Trucks. (Don't get me wrong, the LML is a great engine but a refresh of the mechanical is always exciting.) No need to improve on perfection. The D-Max is still a better engine and tranny combo vs Ford & Dodge.

• 5 weeks later...

The 6.0L may have some weaker numbers and such, but it is far more bullet proof than anything else that runs on gas being put in a GM pickup. And the vast majority of folks who buy a 2500 or 3500 are not buying them for Saturday night cruising or the WOW factor sitting in the driveway like many 1500 pickup buyers do. They are buying them for business and work. 75% of 2500/3500 buyers, buy them for business, not for towing their RV. They need reliability more than some awe inspiring hp and torque ratings. If they need that, they buy a diesel. Downtime and repairs can have a greater effect on business than whether the engine has eye opening power numbers, AFM, etc. This is why many business owners are opting for the 6.0L even over the Duramx diesel unless absolutely necessary, since the advent of all the diesel emissions junk. And then there is the crowd that needs more than a 1/2 ton pickup, but not a full blown diesel powered 3/4 ton, and they live in areas of the country that just hopping over to the dealer to get something worked on is not quite as simple as those who live in the cities. They need a solid performing pickup that has minimal downtime. Again, the 6.0L shines. If the 454 was still available, I would jump on that engine in a pickup in a heartbeat. Darn near bomb proof and reliable.

This is one of the reasons I jumped on a 2015 2500HD with a 6.0L. I wanted to get something I know will more than meet my needs and be reliable before GM screws it up.

Archived