Rigid Fog Lights - D-Series DOT/SAE Certified

Got the Rigid bracket installed on my '14 Silverado 1500. Ignore the fog that's water between the protective lense and the rigid light itself-wasn't about to let $300+ SRQ2's go naked. Anyways the Rigid bracket is simply an L shaped bracket which mounts onto the backside of where 2 of the 3 stock mounting points are for the factory fog lamps. If you were to trim the black plastic bezel (which is detachable) you should easily have room for a Taller D series lamp. I'm going to put D2 SAE fogs in these brackets and move my SRQ2's to the grille.

The SRQ2's in driving pattern are amazing but too bright for use with low beams. However to prove a point I drove with them on a short distance and wasn't flashed once-just because you don't get flashed it doesn't mean your lighting is ok.

Let us know how it turns out and post pics. Wanna do LED SAE fogs on my Silvy

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my SAE fogs installed today. They are bright as all hell, huge difference between these and the stock fogs. They drown out the stock headlights. Went down a backroad, turned off the low beams and could barely notice a difference without them on. I did get flashed by some little Nissan when I was cruising back there. Does anyone know how to adjust these things? Definitely see it being an issue when I get my Rancho level done.

They also have a pretty distinct blue tint to them. I was going to install my Morimoto 5k HIDs into the stock projectors, but now I'm considering going to 6k just because of the fact that these are so blue in color and don't want a big mismatch between these and the headlight bulbs.

fogs1_zpsblpbsyzt.png

Got my SAE fogs installed today. They are bright as all hell, huge difference between these and the stock fogs. They drown out the stock headlights. Went down a backroad, turned off the low beams and could barely notice a difference without them on. I did get flashed by some little Nissan when I was cruising back there. Does anyone know how to adjust these things? Definitely see it being an issue when I get my Rancho level done.

They also have a pretty distinct blue tint to them. I was going to install my Morimoto 5k HIDs into the stock projectors, but now I'm considering going to 6k just because of the fact that these are so blue in color and don't want a big mismatch between these and the headlight bulbs.

fogs1_zpsblpbsyzt.png

if you got the rigid mount, the lights will just tilt down. i had to do the same thing to mine b/c my lights were shining up into 18 wheelers lol. just push on the bottom of the lights from the outside and they should tilt right down

Installed the Rigid SAE/DOT fogs a couple weeks ago... what a pain in the ass to get them installed. I didn't have fog lights on my truck, only the blanks so it pretty much entailed tearing apart the front of the truck. But! the stupid things out shine my Morimoto HID's. they are impressive, have a perfect beam for fogs.

fogs1_zpsblpbsyzt.png

Adjustment can be done by just angling the light down a bit. Nothing complex, just push it downward. If you can't, then try loosening the bolts holding it to the bracket and try aiming it down

• 2 months later...

Ignore the trimming on the stock fog black bezels-I hogged them out very big just to make fitting easier. I have new ones I'm going to trim to final dimensions and install. Anyways I finally installed the Rigid SAE fog lights up front with the Rigid bracket. These things are great-you could almost use them as headlights. To fit them you need to trim the black or chrome foglight bezel as well as clearance a few areas in the stock fog light housing "bucket". Only issue I have is I cannot get the Rigid brackets perfectly level. I took a burr bit to the factory fog light holes (plastic) to allow the bracket to get perfectly level-otherwise I couldn't properly aim the fogs.

post-204-0-84356100-1437187615_thumb.jpg

Just wondering, I replaced my fogs with Rigids. Will doing this void any warranty? I was told that the dealer could try to blame any electrical problems on the lights if they wanted to since I hooked up to the factory Fog light wiring.

Just finished my DOT install. Pretty straight forward. I purchased a harness to connect to the factory fog switch so I didn't have to cut into the wires. Took one of the ends off the harness and soldered it together with the rigid wires before hand. Used some shrink tubes and silicone tape to waterproof the connection. Toughest part was reaching the top screws. I couldn't figure out a way to fit a wrench back there to make sure the lock nuts were tight so I hope they hold. I'll check them in a month or so to make sure they aren't loosening up. Was pretty surprised how easy it was especially because I've never done anything like this before. If anyone has some questions feel free to ask.

f08a6b7220bf3090b1837abc533d6e61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a 1/4" ratchet with about a 16" extension and a U-joint socket attachment to get to the top nuts. I pulled the fender liner back to get at it easier. I just put the socket on the nut on the back and had my dad turn the allen screw from the front. It was kind of a paint but it worked.

Ignore the trimming on the stock fog black bezels-I hogged them out very big just to make fitting easier. I have new ones I'm going to trim to final dimensions and install. Anyways I finally installed the Rigid SAE fog lights up front with the Rigid bracket. These things are great-you could almost use them as headlights. To fit them you need to trim the black or chrome foglight bezel as well as clearance a few areas in the stock fog light housing "bucket". Only issue I have is I cannot get the Rigid brackets perfectly level. I took a burr bit to the factory fog light holes (plastic) to allow the bracket to get perfectly level-otherwise I couldn't properly aim the fogs.

This is what I wanted to see! Finally, someone has done the DOT lights on a Silverado. Just waiting on the trim dimensions of the new sleeves so I don't have to buy new ones haha

Anyone that has installed their rigid fogs still have their stock GMC headlights? Would there be noticeable difference in color between the two?

Do you have to buy the Rigid Pods or can you buy amazon pods? Also will they fit in the Rigid brackets?

These are the pods http://www.amazon.com/OC-Driving-Dually-Tractor-Motorcycle/dp/B00EPKV7OE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0CAC6ZTBJR8HKR4R6P11

I'm sure some of the "knockoff" brand pods would work in the Rigid brackets, but I'd make sure the mounting holes are in the same location and the pods are the same size otherwise they won't square up in the rigid brackets.

I bought rigid pods because I knew they'd fit and they are quality pods. They give off a ton of light, are extremely durable, and have a lifetime warranty.

Anyone that has installed their rigid fogs still have their stock GMC headlights? Would there be noticeable difference in color between the two?

Big difference.

Archived