Headlamp Housing - Condensation

• 4 weeks later...

This happens with my 2016 Sierra. Dealer said some document came out on it. Ironically, my 2010 didn't have the problem or any problem. The heat from the headlights may be the cause but a sealed unit should be protected so that it doesn't happen. Also, a vehicle costing this much should have zero problems, especially when new. Dealers and factory are famous for selling vehicles with outstanding recalls and TSBs so fogged headlights isn't a surprise.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up putting 1 large silica bag taped in each headlight under the projector. I had moisture in the passenger side lamp for over 2 weeks. They were fairly large water droplets that were dripping down to the bottom of the headlight. The moisture "strip" was at the bottom of the light where the Sierra SLT LED strip is. 2 days later, headlight is completely dry.

Highly recommended if anyone needs a solution.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up putting 1 large silica bag taped in each headlight under the projector. I had moisture in the passenger side lamp for over 2 weeks. They were fairly large water droplets that were dripping down to the bottom of the headlight. The moisture "strip" was at the bottom of the light where the Sierra SLT LED strip is. 2 days later, headlight is completely dry.

Highly recommended if anyone needs a solution.

Looks like i will finally be taking this route, with it being winter and lots of moisture here when i wash the vehicle both lamps get condensation in them. When i park up in the garage the LH clears overnight but the RH side seems to be taking a long time to clear, i think what doesn't help is the air cleaner obstructs any residual heat from the engine whereas the LH is wide open!

Also it doesn't help that my drive to work is not even 5 minutes.

Edited by Comscan

Looks like i will finally be taking this route, with it being winter and lots of moisture here when i wash the vehicle both lamps get condensation in them. When i park up in the garage the LH clears overnight but the RH side seems to be taking a long time to clear, i think what doesn't help is the air cleaner obstructs any residual heat from the engine whereas the LH is wide open!

Also it doesn't help that my drive to work is not even 5 minutes.

These are the ticket. Worked great for me when I didn't screw a dustcover back on completely. Can bake and reuse them as well as check the meter to see when they're no longer absorbing. I keep them in my gun safe, they work well there too!

https://www.amazon.com/Stack-SPAD-60-Desiccant-Long-Gun-Cabinets/dp/B002V3CHKA

Sent from my kayak

• Like 1

These are the ticket. Worked great for me when I didn't screw a dustcover back on completely. Can bake and reuse them as well as check the meter to see when they're no longer absorbing. I keep them in my gun safe, they work well there too!

Sent from my kayak

Awesome, on order from same and expected this Friday, guess I can also use them in my gun safe too!

Sent from my kayak

So far so good, I put them in just below the projector housings yesterday morning then left the truck in the shop to help speed the process up, drove home last night in -10c conditions parked up in my own none heated garage and this morning not a sign of moisture. I guess the final proof will be when I wash the truck?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/19/2016 at 9:52 AM, dbrohrer said:

I had condensation in both headlights of my 2014 GMC Sierra. Would really show during rainstorms or car washes.

I put a dry silica pack in each headlight, under my HID bulbs.This cleared my headlights right up. They have been clear for about 8k miles. I did recharge them once (take the silica packs out and put them in the oven at 280 for a couple hours).

These are the biggest packs that I could fit through the access hole. The fit is tight, but they will slide in and sit just below the bulb. Put a little 3M tape on the bottom to make them stay put in the headlight housing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L882NM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(You need to purchase 2 of the above or something similar)

Hope this works for you guys.

I tried this after I saw this guy’s idea and it works great. I bought two and put them right inside the dust cap and didn’t even use any tape or anything. Haven’t had a problem since and it’s been almost a year now. 

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AND VERY CHEAP!

glad i found this thread and now know that I am not the only one experiencing this...  purchased a BRAND NEW set of OEM projectors to install on my LT and had the same thing happen after a decent rain, and a decent temp change....

k1q7bm.jpg

ke6c6o.jpg

ojds0k.jpg

Ill be going with the moisture packet deal if it continues to be an issue

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I would look real close... my 2014 silverado has little cracks all over the lens... and loaded with pit marks.. We never noticed the moisture in the lens til we went to clean the grill... we discover all this when the truck was barely 2yrs old.  Went to our dealer he said oh you must of hit a bird... well another person looked at it later and said oh man did you notice you have the same cracking in the same place on the other headlight... we went back to the dealer and he said he would call the manufacturer, came back and told us Yes they know they have a issue out there but not going to do anything about it at this time... and that if i replaced them to keep the receipt.  WELL I'M NOT SPENDING 1500 BUX TO REPLACE THIS ISSUE ON A TRUCK THAT ONLY HAS 56.000 MILES ON IT .... pictures do know justice... but when we took it to dealer is they ask us to turn the lights on and that is when we seen the whole damage loads of little cracks and pits throughout the whole lens.  And the guy that sold us the truck said. "that looks like a mold issue at that manufacturing of the lens.  BINGO.  But they won't budget on fixing this.

100_0144.JPG

Edited by Debbie Morgan-Saur
trying to get better pic

On 10/14/2013 at 1:41 PM, jomuehlbauer said:

Hey guys,

Quick question. I bought a 2014 Sierra SLT last week and took it up north to the cabin over the weekend. I drove through a lot of rain throughout the whole weekend. The truck was 2 days old with 400 miles on it and I noticed the inside of both healights were foggy one night, towards the bottom over the LED running light.

Has anyone had this issue? Or has anyone herd of this being a problem?

I am taking it back to the dealer this week for some gm accessories so I am interested to see what they say.

There is a plastic cap on both headlight housing (driver/passenger) side that allow you access to your low and high beams. Check to see that the plastic cap has not rattled loose and has a tight seal. I had the same problem when i upgraded my driving lights to LED. 

I hope this was helpful.