Bilstein shocks thread

11 hours ago, truckmann said:

Funny how 4wheelparts everyday low price is still $13.50 higher than Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T367RUS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_7?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TW9PAD7D7YND

I did the rear 5100's already and the fronts are on my list. Truck already has the RC spacers so I'm in debate on keeping them or not myself. 

I just compared pricing and it comes out cheaper through 4wheelparts using a 5% coupon. The sales tax is what makes the price higher through amazon. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2k10CrewCab said:

I just compared pricing and it comes out cheaper through 4wheelparts using a 5% coupon. The sales tax is what makes the price higher through amazon. 

My experience exactly with 4 wheel parts. 

You can also be sure they will be new undamaged or refurbished units unlike stories I have

heard about some amazon purchases.

8 minutes ago, 2k10CrewCab said:

I just did the same comparison and Amazon is still $24 cheaper on a pair after tax for me.  I would have to pay tax from either place here in OK. Tax was more for 4Wheelparts because there is a store in state. Really I was more making fun of their everyday low price statement when I can find them cheaper at other places. As for getting bad stuff from Amazon, I've never had an issue and if I did get something messed up it's easy to send it back.  

15 minutes ago, truckmann said:

I just did the same comparison and Amazon is still $24 cheaper on a pair after tax for me.  I would have to pay tax from either place here in OK. Tax was more for 4Wheelparts because there is a store in state. Really I was more making fun of their everyday low price statement when I can find them cheaper at other places. As for getting bad stuff from Amazon, I've never had an issue and if I did get something messed up it's easy to send it back.  

Ah ok. We have stores here in CA also but when I went to check out the tax was applied and then refunded so no sales tax. I’m in the same boat as you with Amazon, something is delivered defective and I send it back with the free shipping asap. 

Installed 5100's plus a 1/2" top strut spacer and 1" over rear blocks.  The ride is great, very happy.  So far I feel like this is one of those rare products that does what it says without compromise.  

IMG_7177.jpg

Edited by Leevon

9 minutes ago, Leevon said:

Installed 5100's plus a 1/2" top strut spacer and 1" over rear blocks.  The ride is great, very happy.  So far I feel like this is one of those rare products that does what it says without compromise.  

IMG_7177.jpg

Looks great, did you have to swap out upper control arms? I’ve been reading that trucks with the stamped steel UCA need to swap them out. Also, what size tire is that and any rubbing issues? 

Thank you! I plan to swap out my stamped uppers...have personally seen them fail on 2.5" level kits.  The alignment is spot on for now though.  275/70/18 BFG's no rubbing whatsoever even at stock height.  I did order some 1.75" spacer/adapters for looks, should be in this week I will get some real pics then.  

Edited by Leevon

So I recently purchased a set of the 5100's (all four corners) for my 2018. The plan is to just go up to maybe the third setting up front and leave the rear stock. 

I chatted to one of the local shops, which specializes in lifts/etc. And they recommend that I level the front with a lower strut mount extension (the 2" rough country for example) and keep the Bilsteins at the stock setting. Therefore the spring isnt preloaded as much, and gives a much better ride.

Only issue, I'm thinking the 2" level night be too much. Really dont want any type of squat and still want a bit of a forward rake. 

Should mention I'm on stock wheels/tire size. 

9 hours ago, LoweredKlass said:

So I recently purchased a set of the 5100's (all four corners) for my 2018. The plan is to just go up to maybe the third setting up front and leave the rear stock. 

I chatted to one of the local shops, which specializes in lifts/etc. And they recommend that I level the front with a lower strut mount extension (the 2" rough country for example) and keep the Bilsteins at the stock setting. Therefore the spring isnt preloaded as much, and gives a much better ride.

Only issue, I'm thinking the 2" level night be too much. Really dont want any type of squat and still want a bit of a forward rake. 

Should mention I'm on stock wheels/tire size. 

This helps to explain the Bilstein lift vs preload (spacers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBpLKyaG9BE

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LoweredKlass said:

I suppose I should have asked, will the truck ride just as well on the stock setting as it would on the lifted levels? 

I just wondered if the lighter/lifted settings preload the springs more than on the stock setting? 

Seems I keep getting different opinions, so I'm second guessing everything lol

I've been wondering the same thing. I currently have the RC spacer with the stock shocks and plan to do the fronts sometime soon. Debating if I should keep the spacer with the 5100s or not. I already replaced the rears. 

Went ahead and ordered my front shocks today. Ebay has a 15% off anything code. I ordered from this seller because they didn't charge me tax and shipping is free so my total was $163.17 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bilstein-24-238304-5100-Ride-Height-Adjustable-Shock-Absorber/221879155060?epid=217725717&hash=item33a9073974:g:qGEAAOSw2PtasubL&vxp=mtr 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2018 at 10:38 AM, truckmann said:

I've been wondering the same thing. I currently have the RC spacer with the stock shocks and plan to do the fronts sometime soon. Debating if I should keep the spacer with the 5100s or not. I already replaced the rears. 

Just installed the 5100 all around on a 14 denali 2wd, boy what a difference! I had the 2.5 RC kit and replaced with a 2.5 strut spacer and 5100 at stock setting. Now the truck is leveled, i do have 1" more in the back that came with the rc 2.5 kit. Firmer ride not by much but trucks feels more planted and big bumps are felt less. hope this helps.