Bilstein shocks thread

Tomorrow, I’m taking off the monotube Ranchos and putting on Bilstein 24-238304 height adjustable in front at stock level and leaving the Rugged Off Road level kit installed, and installing the Bilstein 5100 33-238319 in the rear.  The stock Rancho monotubes are terrible.  2200 miles with the Ranchos is all I could take.  

Edited by jimbrown1
  • Like 1

Motofab CH-1R

I ordered it on Amazon for $54.99. 

They call it a 1" rear leveling kit, which is deceiving, at least to me. I almost ordered the 2" figuring they meant a 2" block. I wish they just sold them by block size and let the user determine what the result would be. It's my understanding that stock block in newer models is 1 1/4". If you pull the stock block and replace with a 2", you should receive 3/4 inch of rear lift.

To be honest, I also looked at the 5160. $200 more than the 5100. $280 if you like those billet aluminum clips at $40 a pop.

If I drove a fair amount of washboard roads or off road, it would be worth it to pay an extra $200 minus the clips. I'm 99% paved roads and they have the same plumbing, valving minus the reservoir. 

Suspension's are good investments, but where do you stop and it starts adding up. I still need wheels and tires. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Red_5 said:

I was planning on 6112s up front and 5160s out back. I like the idea of a slight lift in the rear, do you have a part number for the block you're planning to use?

See above.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jimbrown1 said:

Tomorrow, I’m taking off the monotube Ranchos and putting on Bilstein 24-238304 height adjustable in front at stock level and leaving the Rugged Off Road level kit installed, and installing the Bilstein 5100 33-238319 in the rear.  The stock Rancho monotubes are terrible.  2200 miles with the Ranchos is all I could take.  

You have the kit that mounts at the bottom of factory strut? What are you getting 2"? I'd be interested to see or hear what UCA 's look like after this. If I was you, I'd reference mark of even snap a before and after phone pic. I thought of spacers, Bilstein warns against. Lots of guys have spacers and 5100 adjustables and say it;s great. 

Assuming your getting 2" , 5100 at Max is roughly 1.75. I called Bilstein and only asked about 3rd and 4th setting ride and he insisted that it's designed to have the same ride and maintain a correct UCA angle. I should note this has been disputed by others back and forth. 

The best answer is from a guy that kept his current wheels and tires and just swapped struts. Majority of people are doing the level at shops and changing wheels and tires in one shot to benefit from lift/level. Some going from P rated to LT, larger rims, different offsets. You can easily increase even tire weight 50% by small change from stock P rated 20" to a LT with conservative 33" tire . Lots and lots of variables. 

That big stamped UCA comes into play if you get to aggressive with lift, offset or wheel size. Good luck with the new Bilstein's. Hope it works out great whichever way you go. 

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

You have the kit that mounts at the bottom of factory strut? What are you getting 2"? I'd be interested to see or hear what UCA 's look like after this. If I was you, I'd reference mark of even snap a before and after phone pic. I thought of spacers, Bilstein warns against. Lots of guys have spacers and 5100 adjustables and say it;s great. 

Assuming your getting 2" , 5100 at Max is roughly 1.75. I called Bilstein and only asked about 3rd and 4th setting ride and he insisted that it's designed to have the same ride and maintain a correct UCA angle. I should note this has been disputed by others back and forth. 

The best answer is from a guy that kept his current wheels and tires and just swapped struts. Majority of people are doing the level at shops and changing wheels and tires in one shot to benefit from lift/level. Some going from P rated to LT, larger rims, different offsets. You can easily increase even tire weight 50% by small change from stock P rated 20" to a LT with conservative 33" tire . Lots and lots of variables. 

That big stamped UCA comes into play if you get to aggressive with lift, offset or wheel size. Good luck with the new Bilstein's. Hope it works out great whichever way you go. 

Yes, the Rugged off road kit are bottom mount spacers.  I've been running the kit right after I bought the truck and had put 50 miles on it along with LT 275/60/20 BFG All Terrain TA KO2 tires and stock 20" wheels with no rubbing at all.  The angles after installing the level kit were close to stock based on pics I took and kit raised the front end to be within a 1/4" of the rear height so it is totally unnoticeable in difference, almost level.  By running the Bilsteins at stock height I should just get the better ride without any difference in height from what I have today.  I am looking forward to getting rid of these so called monotube Rancho shocks.

Here's a link to the kit I had installed at my local All Out Off Road shop in the Houston area. 

https://www.ruggedoffroad.com/product-page/2007-2017-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-1500-6-lug-2-0-leveling-kit

• Thanks 1

Well folks I have had a build up of anticipation in reading these threads about the Bilstein's.  I will only say they have so far exceeded expectations.  The dampening is just so much better than the Rancho's, much less bounce in every setting I drove in today.  They do seem to keep the truck much more stable when taking on the road.  I was only able to hit some thoroughfares up to 55 or so and drive the bumpy busy streets that I travel and it was night and day.

Cannot wait to get them off road and see how they feel in that scenario as well.  Putting the Ranchos on CL tomorrow.  Maybe I can get someone to buy them.  Bottom line..... money well spent. 

Just do it, don't wait. 

4W

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4weight said:

Well folks I have had a build up of anticipation in reading these threads about the Bilstein's.  I will only say they have so far exceeded expectations.  The dampening is just so much better than the Rancho's, much less bounce in every setting I drove in today.  They do seem to keep the truck much more stable when taking on the road.  I was only able to hit some thoroughfares up to 55 or so and drive the bumpy busy streets that I travel and it was night and day.

Cannot wait to get them off road and see how they feel in that scenario as well.  Putting the Ranchos on CL tomorrow.  Maybe I can get someone to buy them.  Bottom line..... money well spent. 

Just do it, don't wait. 

4W

The ride with the Bilsteins is so much better.

Edited by jimbrown1
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheGreatOne said:

How is the ride in the BFGs?....any complaints?

No complaints.  Ride is much more controlled and I’m very happy with my setup. 

• Like 1

Has anyone used these on a 2wd with the black shocks? Im about ready to level mine with the 5100s but wonder if it really improves the ride that much. Mine doesn’t seem to ride as bad as the ranchos. 
Mine is a 4wd but had non-Rancho black shocks. My big complaint was large bumps & dips like speed bumps at slow speeds or big undulations at high speeds, the wheels would leave the ground on the rebound (or if they didn't that's what it felt like).

I don't know if all the black shocks are valved the same as the OEM sites list dozens of different part numbers.

The difference after changing to 5100s was day & night for the front end, not saying they are like a serious off road shock, they just work & ride like any decent vehicle should do, swallow bumps rather than crashing over them.

The difference in the rears was not as noticeable for me but I'd rather have everything matched.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’ve read and read... now my head hurts!

on a stock 2018 Z71, that I assume has the control arms everyone hates, if I install the 5100’s on highest or next to highest setting, with a 33” tire (275/60-20) will I have any rub? 

Yes from what i read that is true. If you go taller than 33" tires U WILL RUB. Any taller lift you will need new UCA's and a bonified suspension lift. At least 2k for all that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk