barry G's 1996 gmc 4x4 5spd

barry G

headlamp casings

those arrived today with my gmc manual, and the billet oil filter.

post-139084-0-42546000-1423503585_thumb.jpg

new lamp

post-139084-0-85156400-1423623978_thumb.jpg

old lamp. All studs and adjustments are stuck. I had to remove it as a whole. This means grille removal. I can ony guess these are 344,000 miles. 1996 original. The same opaque appearance as the blinker lense below it. The blinker/parking looks normal opaque. Not sure what the story is on the headlamps. It was actaully almost impossible to see.

I decided I liked nothing but the headlamp casings, and that is out of necessity. The kit came with corner lenses and blinker/parking as well.

I may use the blinker/parking for switchbck led, add more white light with parking lights...but for now, just headlamps.

I lubed the hell out of the studs, hand tightened back in. I installed the LED headlight bulbs, pre-install checking.

A sign a truck sat around: the lamps are so old, the visibility cannot even feed my 20/10 eyesight. Not even yellowed, just sand blasted or chemicalled into worthless. The studs broke before the plastic did not. So the whole assemblies come out as one, and get chucked into a dumpster.

A peculiar find, rummaging through rockautos part list for front brakes.

This truck has dual piston front calipers, and there is none listed for a 1996 k1500... they are all single piston in the parts list. Maybe I got an upgrade from previous owner.

edit:

headlamp casing installed, found i need a new bumper filler to get grille correct. Hanging on good for now. LED headlamps were worthless... ridiculous. The lubed up studs allowed to remove the headlamp casings and change bulbs back to original easy enough...and right back together. Hand tightened. Very bright now, in the new casing. High beam is the brightest since my time with airplanes. I will not be making both headlamps kick on at the same time after all.. leaving it al alone. Just needed casings, and watt drops elsewhere to go big lights.

two bulbs swapped to 194 LED must have added to the circuit as well..that is about 30 watts saved on those little bulbs. looks good.

The tail lamps are getting full swap, LED built in. I found a broken latch, but lamp case holds on normal. I examined the circuit type design for the 3057/3157.. and do not like it. Looks like the bulbs are melted into their sockets. Speaking of stuck..the 194 up front on the corners, had to be dug out of ther sockets as well. That is a gm trait bringing me all the way back to my 1978 delta 88, 20 something years ago. Even got the same color plug. :)

manual tranny fluid swap on the nv3500 later this week.. and this highway super star rally car... truck is ready to go by my own standards.

Edited by barry G
  • Like 1

I am writing about this rig in two places at once, hence the quotes.

This town I am living in is central, northern maine. Extremes the nation would raise an eyebrow at sometimes. It gains hot spot and cold spot, at least once a year.. over the entire lower 48. Last night was 23 below.

A lot of trauma, and drama I won't mention. I am not from this region, and I had this vengeance to conquer it one last time. The 1980s and into early 90s was so very tragic here. I was a teen, going to school here for the last few years of it.

Vehicles was a #1 subject. I never forgot the trucks that came around as new during that time...like a savior of life. Those would be the TBI, injections.

21 below last night, truck sitting for a couple of days.
Started right up. The oil pressure with the billet filter is gaining some old nitrates random, it shreds the particles. I loved that event on my old subaru when it got the billet for the first time. That needed some real oil filter indeed. I am so very familiar with this routine and the oiling..not just for this gmc. Engines with the nitrate seals do not do synthetic. Now would be the time to check for leaks on the two piece seal engines of old, after the big oil flow change. This one is ready to go...as the 96 is one piece, I am sure that helped this subject. 40psi nominal (full warm running down the road).

Took a ride to the nearest town, where the school was, and every memory seemed to be a bad one..as if I bit my tongue and joined a war if it meant dying to get out of here. All the vehicles sucked... my school level was way off the wavelength, my social skills being that of a new yorker more than a lumberjack. The ride to school on that damn buckboard yellow bus in the cold like today. 7f and snowing, I feel I conquered something on this one ride. I used to come flying through with my monte carlo SS in the 90s.. but winter is something I seemed to have avoided during those years... only to visit grandma (rip).

The heater is excellent. The 20 below needed a 15minute warmup, to be sure of heat moving correct, and no thermostat getting confused. That is a battle that can still happen today. The wall of cold up front is so contrasted, the engine tries to be aircooled for too long, battles the thermostat. The american stuff knows how to keep feeding the heater as a priority. Very glad I got this truck. Made a record breaking cold seem simple. A little more aggression on the brake pulling back in, and found how cold the tires are...a slight bouncy wiggle of a mud truck, but still very good. The 16 inch tire, and sidewall is great for going down the road, snow etc.. but on brakes in the cold..the 17 inch or bigger would be better. I do want more highway superstar on the 5 speed 3.73 combo, and will keep an eye out for the next generation chevy wheels. Exact fit, and correct.

The 96 is still impressive in the steps of evolution for the complaints that lingered for decades... I have no problems at all, just adding extras in this extreme place. This year of truck onward could have decades to go, and be surreal at it...every situation maine has to offer.

I have four 1157 LED for the front parking on the way, and 10 of the 194 LED bulbs for the dash. Other than that.. I am liking as it is. The transmission is a tell all for temperature and ready to roll.. I hav ebeen using that fact about manuals for a long time. From kenworths to subarus and gmc pickups. I love the manual transmissions...they can tell no lies.

We are now under a blizzard warning. Another 12-18 inches on the way.

I also got this cheap dash cam from ebay, tried it out in the truck.

http://vimeo.com/119501284

10F in the sun.

Edited by barry G

• 2 weeks later...

some updates..

18 parking lamps swapped. The only two left external are the middle bulbs, for engineering reasons. Rather than playing with a load resistor to get the brake relay, and domino effect for ABS, etc etc.. just two bulbs left in the middle of tail lamp, and conservative versions. still hot tamales, but conservative for the design.

I wanted a little heat back there anyway. Last night was the third evening greater than -20F here this winter, alot of -18F, etc.

coldest month on record for bangor maine.. I live 30 frigid more miles to the north.

Hyper flashing did occur, after the swap, and went and got the ep29 electronic balancer flasher/decoder. Fell right into place.

I knocked off 40+ amps in parking lamp runtime.

The brakes, first ride out, nearly thumped me off the steering wheel. I must have stopped a bleed between brake switch, brake relay, and flasher. Very defined. That ABS is computer controoled, bleed would be a silent monster indeed. Conquered something I did not expect. Nice surprise.

I also found this truck had twin piston calipers. the 1996 only shows as single in the parts lists. Somebody did an upgrade apparently.

Now onto the grand finale of interior...

all courtesy bulbs that come on when you open the door are now LED. Even the door panels light up (not a common sight beyond a cadillac).

post-139084-0-60632000-1424809695_thumb.jpg

8 lights in the dash, 2 down by the 4x4 shift lever...and glove box.

post-139084-0-46660700-1424809931_thumb.jpg

it may be more than 40 amps as total savings, but I only mentioned the lights that stay on with the parking switch turned on.

..and did i mention I am in love with this trucks cold starts. I have never ever had anything this confident...ever.

Last night was -23F. It still has the factory recommended 600cca battery size. My subaru with a 1.8 liter takes the same size. Just simply incredible.

Edited by barry G
  • Like 1

3rd brake light LED

checked with multimeter as to what was needed, and added two 1 watt 194 LED.

considering brake lights as parking..and even more busy.

The external LED swap is complete.

6 parking/blinker up front.

Reverse and top bulb in tail lamps lense. Middle bulb had to stay incandescent for the brake relay (like a load resistance trigger).

2 bulbs for the third brake light.

2 license plate lights.

12 bulbs exterior.. this is almost 200 watts dropped, and bleeding numbers unknowable conquered dramatically. The third brake light swap was so dramatic, the alternator let out a growl.

Added ep 29 balancer flasher.

the ABS is some kinda super mode right now, I am loving what this did. The brakes are very very strong. I am finding I am letting the throttle go a little further as a result.

I found it to be an overlap at the brake switch...after not knowing aBS was not at full fast functions in the first place, I deciphered the surprise anyway.

The flasher relay, brake relay, and brake lights, and the two blinking lights in the dash...they all know the ABS.

Peculiar to some..but it is not. Computers work with circuits. One switch trigger, and any computer will focus a connection, in the plans or not. It is based on that one switch. It is fun to find what knows what in these overlaps. 1996 is a great year for up and coming computer gurus. A lot of simple lessons to fix, not much drama.

The festoon bulb in the dome light will make all courtesy lights LED, and finished with interior.

interior totals out at 16 bulbs.

food for thought..

500watts at 12 volt is 41 amps.

almost half an alternators ability....just for light.

getting old...more than 100 years. I was ready to move on with LED.

Edited by barry G

obd2 scanner, a car wash, and first 1000 miles

been almost a month.

Record breaking cold, average mean temp for more than 30 days is at 5F for my region.

Several 20 something belows, the coldest being -26F.

100 inches in the formal numbers for snow. Have not seen above freezing since December. Seems next week a 38F is in the forecast.

The quick sale of this old gmc has proved itself. I would not recommend that to anybody...near dusk sale, get a listen to the engine and go with your intuition after some finger taps. It is not bragging to go through 22 vehicles in maine.

I know vehicles blindfolded. ..real shame.

looking forward to the obd2 checking, very easy. I stayed old school since 1987. Loved the challenge, still have a 1 barrel rochester sitting on a ten geared subaru. I just started the other day. The new engine I built is so cold, I cannot get a burn in temperature. This means ground loop, lack of alternator. I gained some unique unforgettable skills here.

I am also making a point to go with iron engines only.

First car wash, as I bought it dirty. Getting a closer look at things, as I am a welder, engine builder... I do it all.

The to do list is most impressive for what I have paid for this truck.

flat stock to refurbish bed sills, and two rocker panels started off fresh to add my own custom finishes.

banged the one dent out of the door to make it seem a little less dent. I have determined this particular dent will never come out to be beautiful. May as well get a fairly straight line out of the bottom of the door. A door shell would be a fun subject this summer.

I like dupont/nason paints and extrem 2 urethane.

the mist black, code 41U is very impressive. Even at 18 years old, I stepped back and paused to get an admiring look at this old truck.

I also found 4600 is max hp, and laughed. I had not gone past 3k rpm even needing to be aggressive. The supercharge sound of a cold nv3500 is a fun thing. I decided to try out a bigger throttle when it was warm...8f in the sun to be exact, and let off at 4k rpm , a vortec bellow and a racing tranny sound. I love it. i do not care what the power number is written.

Edited by barry G

28F today in the sun.

Tackled a hot heater motor the other day, i knew it was young. . popped some rivets to get it apart (very familiar routine), added some synthetic grease, aligned and back together.

makes a great spare to recover one that has been sprung. A lot less vibration...just not perfect. Greasing the motors also gives an indication of how much airflow was missing before and after. I loved this heater on first impression, now it is even better.

I found one on ebay with a 10 year warranty. Knowing what it takes to make a long lasting one, I gave them a try, and have it in the mail.

www.ebay.com/itm/370922086365

I also got the obd2 scanner, read up on how the gm models work. cleared a fake code for o2 heater (also very common here), and noticably gained power, and mpg.

22mpg like a rock. My bro-n-law had one of these in the 90s, and he predicted it right on the money.

inspecting things closer, will get all the cross sills for the bed, and some replacement rockers in as a fresh base for my custom chores that follow.

other than that, best purchase I have ever gone through. In 1996, i bought a genuine 1984 monte carlo SS, the differences of that 1 year are never forgotten..but anyway, those came with an "H.O. 305", this truck is near identical in feel and power, except for the extra in the slippery manual tranny. I am loving that fifth gear...and the injection. I must confess, I believe it is amazing. This exact version of whatever they have done. I love it.

one last quibble, and I have the same complaint from a tiny 80s subaru to my dads kenworth w900...

the shifter. it is never right for my ...stature is the word I guess. I am either leaning to the right or leaning forward. Looking around for an extension, angled back.

I did try something different, make my foot press clutch all the way in, and leave the seat there. When I sit back, get comfortable..the shifter is very close to good, but I do lean a little.

I am only 5 foot 9, just peculiar. I have had two single cab trucks, my only complaint was not being able to lean seat back. I was looking forward to the extended cab, no extra doors opening. Glad I found this.

Edited by barry G

accel 8.8 300+ wires

post-139084-0-25380700-1425596158_thumb.jpg

cut to equal length, added the ends. Used factory boots for the disty side.

the plug side is very rugged, I like this version of wires.

also made the coil wire..gave it a few more inches than oem. Used factory ends and boots.

I bought the wires for something else a few years ago.

good thing I dug in, as I found two broken boots, and seeming quite old. I felt some hitching last evening.. first intuition upon sight of the 1/4 inch oem wires was to throw them away. I do this for all my projects. I go as far as keeping ends or boots if need be. This vortec does not have in kits what I want exactly. The 8.8 is good and hefty, leaving future coil options endless.

This change was very noticable. No ticking in the exhaust to notice.

This is a very robust setup already with the e-core coil, computer controlled. These plug wires are right at home. No desire to upgrade anything else, just the wires.

Idle dropped to 700...and all the stuff that goes with good wires. I think something may have been blipping the oil sending unit, as that seems a little smoother as well.

more amp drops.

some might have guessed a genuine gmc has a unique lighting sometimes. the way blinkers work, or the edges of dash lights flicker down on their own. Some think its a silent genius.

I know to look over everything closely.

post-139084-0-36749800-1426205922_thumb.jpg

Found the old commander electric brake and unhooked that completely..this means auxiliary bolt underhood, and the molex under dash, removed it from truck. The cold start was just as robust as modern as a 6.2. It shot up to 1300 and worked down quickly.

It had a problem I guess, with the commander gadget.

I also unhooked a large red wired in photo, left dangling for some amplifier.

got a door pin and bushings in the mail, decided i needed 2, and the weather is headed for 5F in the middle of march, so standing back awhile more.

I also go the official title in the mail and intuition proved true. The odometer is "exempt", this is legal for doubted and ok. (I knew it was not the miles - I have been around used vehicles too long)

..and I also found the polyurethane cab mounts complete, brand name, 70 bucks. Always wanted to try those. Nitrile disappears random here in my locale..and it is not salt to blame. Could be exceeding cold temp value, my only guess. The ones in the truck are holding up, but cracked. It is not just gm with the tropical rubbers. Everything I have owned needed them too young.

dialing in equal length plug wires, first day above 32F, I opted to floor it to 4600 rpm on maines 75mph highway. This truck is surprisingly fast and powerful. fuel mileage changed, I am glad i did that. A glimpse at the sidewalls in a peculiar angle of the sun has little dimples like you see on dragsters..all four Cooper tires. It is not my imagination..this truck is quick enough to need high tire ratings. I will be stepping those up to 116 sidewall and T speed, white lettered, same size. For now, lots of miles left, will go along with them good.

I am into photography, First photo was in 2004, 1megapixel. Mostly machinery, never people. According to google stats, I have uploaded 3900+ photos since 2007.

post-139084-0-31609300-1426207222_thumb.jpg

anyway,

this is my favorite photo of the truck thus far. The salt line revealed on a frigid day. I have a 36 mile ride to the city, and I admit, I am no slow poke getting there. Both sides are exactly symmetrical. Reminded me of a serpent or dragon.

I wonder if anyone airbrushed designs like that on their truck, after winter did something art like.

Edited by barry G

as mentioned in previous post..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131330348902

the polyurethane mounts. I almost got the standard cab set, and would have been perturbed at a couple of them missing.. gotta pay attention.

extended cab has a couple of more than standard.

post-139084-0-48145300-1426207947_thumb.jpg

the brand is Energy Suspension.

• 3 weeks later...

1 door pin, 4 bushings

post-139084-0-81629100-1427727184_thumb.jpg

my brother and I tackled this. We analyzed one bent pin, 4 bad bushings. The bent pin was also worn at one end, beyond the bushing. I had a steel one as brand new, zinc coated. It seems the original are like an aluminum, or soft..does not seem like steel. so, back together, a little bit tougher than 18 years and 300k miles.

The rains after more than 90 days will be coming through, had to get this done.

my bro-n-law has been a gm truck guru since the late 80s. He also drives a black extra cab to this day. Much newer than mine. He has had many. I had no idea he had one before I bought mine. It was a funny thing to catch onto when I pulled in for the first time...two black extra cab 4x4, in the family.

Anyway, he had the spring tool, exactly right for the trucks doors since 1988, made easy work of this. the passenger side has been redone by somebody else, and spring is not installed. I am slapping in a spring from a 1985 subaru cylinder head, calling it good. :)

post-139084-0-68740900-1427727467_thumb.jpg

post-139084-0-45750400-1427727481_thumb.jpg

the bigger chore for the day was putting the pennzoil 1qt jug pump to use, and flushing tranny out for genuine gm fluid. This was extremely costly given the quantity of just 3 quarts.. but I know better being a former quick lube man. It has to have it.

Sure enough, the fluid in it was from someone with a 1.95 to spend on the wrong fluid. I am glad to get that out of there. This place at night still gets quite chilly, so cryogenics wins the case upon the super slick of real fluid. I noticed shifting is very nice and easy now...idle noise in neutral subsides with time. Any load at all is like brand new. Between the doors in the right spot, and the tranny lube. I have never been in a truck that was so close to a cadillac ever. And I am not even done yet.

up next is eight cab mounts, by energy suspension.

Edited by barry G
  • Like 1

weld and fuel pump

cracked a door jam, and spider'd fractures at the latch pin.

Gave it a weld.

post-139084-0-39546900-1428295597_thumb.jpg

less than perfect, but doing the job for now.

I was joking that I did not unhook the battery...wonder'd what was going to get the static bomb later. I am very familiar with welding and steel failures in maine (it is not in a book exactly).

Sure enough, got home, liking the quiet ride, good looking door alignments...

went to start today, no fuel pump.

post-139084-0-58704800-1428295731.jpg

thanks to the net, I got a 2 day delivery on the way. I bought the entire assembly, as Carter brand.

I am hoping the brass bearings makes a little noise.

Delphi was in the same price range, and am aware of the parts groupy argument for this truck. Carter does alright by me.

the other items I am awaiting are the top door seam by LMC truck. there is two versions for 88-98, and this trucks factory seal looks like neither one offered.

Will have the side of the windshields plastic trim pulled back up, and the new seals in soon enough.

blew out a nest by the ecm, painted inner fender well. I just knew something was going to get a ground change. It chose the ever convenient to get to, fuel pump of all things.

I am very tempted to rip a hole through the bed..but won't.

Edited by barry G

fuel pump installed

My dad paused at the end of the driveway on my rural road, at 80 feet long in a kw900. I knew he was coming, the jake brake shakes the valley of this little town.

The door pops open, and I pluck the biggest manliest generator at 63cc needing two stroke oil.. I have ever seen.

post-139084-0-08485700-1428591011_thumb.jpg

Cut the hole with a drill, jig saw..and stuff runs real smooth on a generator, ever noticed?

I did buy that generator..for 70 bucks. Reminded me of working airplanes. Self sustaining wherever the hell you landed.

post-139084-0-15202000-1428591232_thumb.jpg

I also may have found the pump killer... an old nail was hanging out of the rear left tire. Got a fresh plug in. I am keeping the old Coopers, not made anymore, for the duration of welding chores. Tires gain a blister sometimes, the energy of welding. By fall, a set of 5 that does not go extinct as soon as you buy them. I am thinking goodyear wrangler, or a bf goodrich something.

The fuel pump lid was very old, the vent tube nearly had a hole in it. A splice on the original ground, reveal at least 2 pumps in the past. The sending unit has a burn mark, at near empty setting. At least four 20 something belows and a record breaking winter written...

I have no complaints getting the whole new setup installed. I noticed the stickers on top..this Carter 80001S can be used for any 96 and later vortec. 4.3L to 454.

Edited by barry G

upper door seals

found these at LMC truck, and they are precise in labeling the 2 versions. My truck had neither one by factory. In the long term, this left the side plastic trim for windshield sliding down into the wrong spot, leaving a gap..and leaving the top of door to close tighter than the rest. With the top too tight, the bottom wants out...bya very small amount. So..its like a cat chasing its own tail even after aligning with new pins and bushings, and in my case, I cracked a door jam being too ambitious.

post-139084-0-17759600-1428764765_thumb.jpg

These are nice quality, easy to install. I only need some heat to get the windshield plastic back up into its correct spot. the new seal holds it proper. Being it is already a very quiet truck at the cabin, this will be a nice finish. I can undertsand how it went unnoticed. No leaks and quiet already.

Very nice. You've put some serious work into your truck.

not yet, this is actually my easy going chores.

Yesterday, on the new LMC upper door seals, I pulled up the plastic side pieces on the windshield to be in the right spot. Should stay there now, but this is all unglued, no helpers to be where it is at contently..

I am setting up all the little measurements, then onto cab mount rubbers, than hardline the rockers (weld).

I may be making them out of some stainless steel sheet I have, as they are 2 layers deep already.

The cab corners, whole length, are at 3 layers.

great candidate for the real offroad truck that needs to be a super car once the highway is reached.

I wanted to do this with an old ten geared subaru, and I I did get a lot of weakness out..but still disappointed.

Glad to be back in my favorite stuff. A v8 minimum for me.

I intentionally sought out the 5 speed...took several months on search lists.

I also found this truck really is not a z71, the custom order compilation may have had the logo shipped with it however. I like the diffs a little more forgiving, it has saved my life already.