ATTENTION anyone with oil pressure issues

• 1 month later...

I am currently experiencing an oil pressure issue on my 07 LH6 Sierra. I have 138,500 miles on the motor and on cold starts 8 hours or so or on very cold days the gauge takes a second or 2 to pressurize up to about 50 psi. Once I begin driving it while it's cold or idling to warm up, the pressure will drop to 15-20psi at stop lights but is at 50psi driving, 2 or 3 times the lifters have made noise because of it, but don't make noise while the pressure is maintained. I make sure to keep it above 20psi at stop lights and such just so nothing terrible occurs. After the motor is at operating temp 210*, the pressure maintains 40psi at idle and 60psi while driving and is as quiet as a church mouse. I've run Mobil 1 5w30 since 60k when I bought it except for 2 or 3 times it had Dino in it. The pressure sensor was replaced last winter with a Napa one and is functioning properly according to a tech 2 scanner. I spoke to the mechanic who maintains the ambulances for the dept I'm in and he said he believes the motor is shot and should trade it in. I don't want to believe that, any insight? Is it a dead motor? Is it the o ring on the pick up tube sucking air until the metals warm and seal properly? I'd like to keep this truck a few more years since it's paid off.

We've changed the oil pressure sensor twice on my dad's '06 4.8 and nothing needs to be removed at all, most definitely not the intake manifold. We don't have small hands by any means but all you need is patience and a good mental image of what that area looks like.

The second sensor went bad on the way home while still hours away, but since the engine didn't blow up he just drove it home! lol

I've got a 2003 Yukon Denali with about 316,000 miles on it. I had the annoying bouncing and dinging oil pressure gauge for a long time until if finally just died. My mechanic replaced the oil pressure switch and it didn't change a thing. Still no reading on the gauge. The mechanic said those gauges were very problematic and difficult to replace and he wasn't worried about it. He said oil pressure is not as big a concern as it was many years ago and if I didn't have oil pressure I would hear it! Haha! Anyway, I've been driving it all over Virginia for about a year with no reading on the gauge but I'd kind of like to get it working.

• 1 month later...

5.3 from hell....... I had an AFM lifter crap out on my 09, 52 thousand miles, took it to the gmc garage, $2700 and a week later, it runs, but the oil pressure drops so low it locks a code. Also, the AFM, which is what they were supposed to fix, doesn't work. I removed and replaced the lifter oil filter and sender (which you can do without any special tools or removing anything else - lots of youtube videos of it) but no help. I think they contaminated the sump and crap went through the oil pump. I cut the filter open (600 miles on it) and it was full of metal. The oil looked like sick metal flake paint. Back to the garage, where they wanted another $1800 to fix it. I told them to keep the piece of crap. Then they said they would replace the pump, put in a new suction o-ring, install the baffle later 5.3s have for $750, so I told 'em to do it. They pulled the cam, and it had spun a bearing. They also replaced all that for the same price. This time it took 2 weeks and 2 days....... It does run well now, and has great oil pressure, but I feel like I can't trust it now, and feel like GM pulled another "let's develop this technology on the road at our customer's expense" trick. I could have had a new motor in less time and probably less $$. So don't ignore your low oil pressure warning.... and don't but any 2007-8-9 AFM equipped pos.

WIsh I

For those of you that have noticed oil pressure drops, etc. There IS a screen below the oil pressure sending unit that does become clogged!! I have an 07 GMC Sierra, 4x4 Crew Cab, SLE2 package, 144,000 miles. 5.3 litre. I change my oil faithfully at 3000 mile intervals, use Castrol GTX High Mileage oil and Purolator oil filters. Air filter gets replaced every other oil change. Now for what happened...... very cold day, pulled out onto the Interstate and accelerated only to hear the truck rev, and go nowhere. Dropped it out of overdrive and got going, then lost that gear. Limped it to a shop in 2nd....yes the tranny went out. Had a new tranny installed and the mechanics called me and said when they test drove the truck, it had lost oil pressure and shut down. They replaced the oil pressure switch, and it had 40 psi of pressure but slowly dropped down to nothing and shut off. By now the first thought was oil pump or pick up. I called a couple of shops to get answers, and no one ever mentioned (or had even heard of) a screen located just below the oil pressure switch. Called local GM dealer and did confirm that there indeed is a small screen below the switch. $5.80 filter screen. We pulled the old one out, put in the new screen, reinstalled the new pressure switch and all is good. Now some of you may know about this little screen/filter. But I did not, and neither did a few reputable shops. Basically I am posting this to inform others. That's what we're all here for. I'm not sure if this filter is installed on other engines, or even what model year. Maybe someone that knows can chime in. In this case it really paid to call a GM dealership with a good service department. I might have been pulling an engine over a $5.80 filter screen. As to why it plugged up, I'm not sure. We cut apart the oil filter, and no sludge or foreign material. Hopefully this post will help inform someone and save them some big bucks............Or maybe I live in an area where we are way behind on our info on GM vehicles....lolattachicon.gif20150109

Wish I would of read this several weeks ago. I got my truck from the body shop due to a hit and run, 5 minutes after leaving shop I got a low presure warning. I went to autozone and they read the check engine light and it threw a "oil pressure switch" code. So, I was like alright I can make home (1 hour away) and I'll fix it tomorrow. Well half way home the engine developed a series knock so i stopped right away. Truck is no at a service shop and they are going to rebuild motor due to oil lose.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the castech 5.3L engine build issue in this thread. It's pretty well known, but for anyone not aware...if you have low oil pressure issue along with mystery coolant leak, then you probably have sludge build up in your oil pan from coolant leaking. Oil pump sucks up sludge, which clogs the filter. Coolant leak stop has solved the problem for me..just be sure you get all the sludge out of the oil pan.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well everyone here is the latest update to my situation. After my oil pressure issues were temporarily fixed it happened again but this time much worse!! Engine light came on and told me to shut down engine immediately! After towing to garage they tell me that my number 4 lifter collapsed and caused other damage as well and had to replace everything. So after multiple calls to Chevy Corporate and $3800 later (we split costs) I had my truck back and running great. Untilllllll, 3 weeks ago and the number 6 lifter collapsed!!! This time it was under warranty thank goodness (would have been another $1000), but truck is back and running great again. All this and still only 68, 000 miles on the truck!!!

Good luck fellow Chevy owners.

• Like 1

My gauge does not drop to zero or kick a low oil light, but the press fluctuates per rev of the eng. the press moves between just below or at 40 during idle up to 50-55 during rev.

Is this caused by the little filter? My pops said it was the bypass in the pump clogged or stuck.

thoughts???

thanks Gents

^^ Sounds like normal operation. Oil pressure varies with rpm's. It will be lower at idle and higher with higher rpm's. If you have 35 at idle and 50-55 with higher rpm's, you're doing just fine.

thanks.. I seen someone say "you must be a ford driver because your used to the gauge not working..." yep my first Chevy lol

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I bought this screen but want to make certain my 04 Chevy Tahoe z-71 5.3l build date July 03 has this screen before I go dropping it in my motor can anyone confirm this for me

Did you ever find the filter. I looked in my 05 suburban and also could not find one.