'14+ 5.3L Have magnetic drain plugs?

FL335i

Gold plug my friend. They have some awesome magnets. I've been using them for years. I even sent them some custom VAC Motorsports BMW differential plugs and had them put their magnets on them. Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm ordering one today. I'll post the part #.

Update: AP-04, 12mm plug. Do a lookup and it pulls right up on their site. I got a plug and 3x extra washers shipped for just under $25. Not sure what the dealer is using for oil, they don't list it on the ticket. But I'm running what is spec'd. 0w-20 Mobil 1. I read the manual and it's very gray, pretty much states GM calls for 0w-20, but not to use 10w-30 and thicker. They don't touch the 5w-30 grade. Hence not mandating the dealers use 0-20. So dealers can technically use 0-20 or 5-30 according to our manual. Which I'm sure 99.99% of dealers are using, Syn 5-30.

Gold plug my friend. They have some awesome magnets. I've been using them for years. I even sent them some custom VAC Motorsports BMW differential plugs and had them put their magnets on them. Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm ordering one today. I'll post the part #.

Update: AP-04, 12mm plug. Do a lookup and it pulls right up on their site. I got a plug and 3x extra washers shipped for just under $25. Not sure what the dealer is using for oil, they don't list it on the ticket. But I'm running what is spec'd. 0w-20 Mobil 1. I read the manual and it's very gray, pretty much states GM calls for 0w-20, but not to use 10w-30 and thicker. They don't touch the 5w-30 grade. Hence not mandating the dealers use 0-20. So dealers can technically use 0-20 or 5-30 according to our manual. Which I'm sure 99.99% of dealers are using, Syn 5-30.

The new GenV 5.3 and 6.2 take 0w20. We have tons of it in stock and its all we use in them. Whatever you use, as long as it meets Dexos certification you are fine. 4.3 and the 6.0 use 5w30 Dexos.

I really like the Dimple magnetic plugs, the magnet is incredibly strong and I am enclosing the website address below:

http://magneticdrainplugs.co/recentgmandbuick.php

A little more expensive than the earlier mentioned plugs, but they are awesome.

Vehicle Care section is pretty clear in the 2015 manual:

Viscosity Grade
Use SAE 0W-20 viscosity grade for
the 5.3L and 6.2L V8 engines. Use
SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade for the
4.3L V6, and 6.0L V8 engines.
Specification
Use and ask for licensed engine oils
with the dexos1® approved
certification mark. Engine oils
meeting the requirements for the
vehicle should have the dexos1
approved certification mark. This
certification mark indicates that the
oil has been approved to the dexos1
specification.

I found a '14 manual for you:

Viscosity Grade
SAE 0W-20 is the best viscosity
grade for the 5.3L and 6.2L
V8 engines. SAE 5W-30 is the best
viscosity grade for the 4.3L V6, and
6.0L V8 engines. Do not use other
viscosity grade oils such as
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, or 20W-50

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I really like the Dimple magnetic plugs, the magnet is incredibly strong and I am enclosing the website address below:

http://magneticdrainplugs.co/recentgmandbuick.php

A little more expensive than the earlier mentioned plugs, but they are awesome.

Never knew a drain plug could be awesome.

The new GenV 5.3 and 6.2 take 0w20. We have tons of it in stock and its all we use in them. Whatever you use, as long as it meets Dexos certification you are fine. 4.3 and the 6.0 use 5w30 Dexos.

From your response, I assume you work at a dealership, if so maybe you have some insight to my question.

Why does the 4.3L call for 5w-30 while the 5.3L call for 0w-20?

Doesn't the 4.3L use the same dual stage oil pump as the 5.3L?

Any issues you could think of if one were to run 5w-30 in the 5.3L?

From your response, I assume you work at a dealership, if so maybe you have some insight to my question.

Why does the 4.3L call for 5w-30 while the 5.3L call for 0w-20?

Doesn't the 4.3L use the same dual stage oil pump as the 5.3L?

Any issues you could think of if one were to run 5w-30 in the 5.3L?

Couple great questions. 4.3 vs 5.3/6.2 on the oil deal. Not sure why to be honest. Possibly a fuel economy reason? Due to the 5.3 being the volume engine and to help their CAFE scoring they went 0w20 in the V8 engines, while the 4.3 is a V6 so right off the bat the fuel efficiency would be higher. Just a theory.

All three engines (4.3, 5.3 and 6.2) use the dual stage oil pump.

As for 5w30 in the 5.3 (6.2 as well), that is a great question. Now, the 6.2 LT1 and LT4 engines in the Camaro, Corvette and CTS-V, all use 5w30. Both engines run the dual stage oil pump. Why the difference in oil weight? Not sure...performance application is the #1 thing that comes to mind. So, could you run it? Seems plausible to me. The only thing that comes to mind for the 0w20 is fuel efficiency.

Archived