L83 Cam Swap

A cam in the new DI motor is expensive. You have to pull the pan.....no more gaskets....all sealant.....sucks.

20 hrs of labor.

The LT1 cam itself is cheap from GM at just over $100. An aftermarket cam will run 3-4'times that, plus springs, gasket kit, etc.. Labor is the big end if you're not doing it yourself.

Saw a Lingenfelter video and some others. Nobody mentioned pulling the pan. What's the reason for pulling the pan?

In a truck, the radiator and condenser have to be removed from the path of the cam. On a vette, I would guess pulling the motor would be the way to go.

Edited by spurshot

on the vette the actual pan has to be removed to do the job, but looking at this trucktrend article, maybe not on the truck, which is awesome.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1501-2014-chevy-lt1-comp-cam-swap-bigger-bumpstick/

it appears it may just be the dry sump pan on the Z51 needs to be removed for a cam swap. the wet sump pans like in a truck may be ok, making the swap way easier/cheaper.

Edited by Higgs Boson

Any update on this? We are all looking to you!

The first online GM dealer cancelled and refunded my order. I just reordered with our website sponsor GM Parts Direct. We'll see if they can get the cam, gaskets, intake manifold, etc.

on the vette the actual pan has to be removed to do the job, but looking at this trucktrend article, maybe not on the truck, which is awesome.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/engine/1501-2014-chevy-lt1-comp-cam-swap-bigger-bumpstick/

it appears it may just be the dry sump pan on the Z51 needs to be removed for a cam swap. the wet sump pans like in a truck may be ok, making the swap way easier/cheaper.

It's not obvious why the pan would have to be dropped, even on the vette. Maybe something about the front timing chain cover is different? Just the same, changing a cam in the vette seems to me would be much more work in the vehicle.

• 2 months later...

I did the cam/pushrod/valvesprin swap on the 6.0 LQ9 in my 03' myself so I have some experience, but these newer motors appear to be harder. I'm surprised you are going through all the effort for the swap and you are't going for an aftermarket grind. When you factor in the cost of tuning(either buying EFI Live or HP Tuners or having it custom tuned), its almost worth going for something that makes a noticeable difference. Either way I respect anyone that is willing to do their own mechanical work.

I did the cam/pushrod/valvesprin swap on the 6.0 LQ9 in my 03' myself so I have some experience, but these newer motors appear to be harder. I'm surprised you are going through all the effort for the swap and you are't going for an aftermarket grind. When you factor in the cost of tuning(either buying EFI Live or HP Tuners or having it custom tuned), its almost worth going for something that makes a noticeable difference. Either way I respect anyone that is willing to do their own mechanical work.

I get where you're coming from. You're thinking big power gains. I'm looking for a bit more power, but not willing to kill low end power and loose large numbers of mileage. The factory LT1 grind keeps the full throw of variable cam timing and there should be a minimal mileage impact.