Doors not "draining" ie: something new for everyone to complai

I have something new for all the crabs to gripe to the dealer about- I took my truck in to the car wash. To really get a good rinse/pressure wash all over and remove the road salt. I had the driver and passenger side doors open and was moving the front seats all the way back to get the weathertech mats out and clean them off as well. When I reached down to pull them out I noticed something very peculiar- in the very bottom of the door jam, where the hinges are located, right where the door gap meets the fender well, what do I find? MASSIVE solid pieces of ice, both front doors (didn't see it in the rears)

So, clearly, there's a drainage/design issue allowing water to pool up to the point it freezes solid, if you live in a cold climate go check it out- I'm amazed

With the record lows in a large portion of US, I'm not surprised about ice formation after a car wash, especially when a vehicle is driven or parked outdoor. I "rinse" my truck at the end of a day whenever conditions allow. Afterward, it's parked inside the garage to keep water on/in it from freezing and to allow it to drain and dry. Sometimes a radiant heater is needed to keep temperature inside the garage several degrees above freezing.

Hate to break it to ya but water freezes below 32F. My door sill is frozen completely over for two months now. Hopefully one of these days the temp will rise well enough above freezing to clean it out but I could be in for another month. I wish I had a garage but sadly my truck will continue to be parked on the street and the melted snow from my boots will continue to freeze when it hits that crisp -15F air

I have something new for all the crabs to gripe to the dealer about- I took my truck in to the car wash. To really get a good rinse/pressure wash all over and remove the road salt. I had the driver and passenger side doors open and was moving the front seats all the way back to get the weathertech mats out and clean them off as well. When I reached down to pull them out I noticed something very peculiar- in the very bottom of the door jam, where the hinges are located, right where the door gap meets the fender well, what do I find? MASSIVE solid pieces of ice, both front doors (didn't see it in the rears)

So, clearly, there's a drainage/design issue allowing water to pool up to the point it freezes solid, if you live in a cold climate go check it out- I'm amazed

Noticed the same thing, but everyone says I complain to much lmao, I don't think there is a drain there if there was it would drain quick enough before freezing

Was it a drive through car wash or was it just an outside/ do it yourself car wash? If it was just a do it yourself, I can believe it, esp if it was below freezing. If below freezing, water will instantly freeze and continue to freeze when sprayed onto below freezing metal. Not much you can do.

I work for a concrete plant, and when below freezing, and you wash down the trucks after being loaded, the truck becomes one huge icicle. Imagine fire departments in below freezing temps putting out a fire, the scene becomes an ice castle.

I think I am being misunderstood here - it wasn't the carwash that caused the ice formation, that just happened to be the place I noticed it. Unfortunately I'm not around my truck at the moment or I would have taken a pic. The ice buildup must have been just from snow/ice/rain/sleet or whatever accumulating there over time, it is odd though because it is INSIDE the door if you know what I mean, I have been through many winters and all my vehicles have always been parked outside and I have never seen this before.

The truck had time to thaw out, but this stuff ice is still there.

it is not only the new gm trucks that this happens to, our 2006 dodge work trucks have this happen severely. It gets so bad that, with the salt in the slush it melts a bit with the sun or a warmer temp day but then freezes overnight and when you open the doors first thing in the morning, that the front edge of the door actually binds with the newly frozen ice chunk in the front fender at the bottom. i have noticed this for a couple of years and it is most noticeable during a prolonged severe cold snap and with vehicles that are never allowed to thaw in a garage and drain.

This ice chunk forms between the inner skin and outer skin of the front fenders at the bottom behind the wheel well and if it stays really cold for a couple of weeks eventually it starts rubbing on the front edge of the doors. I wish i had a picture of one of the trucks to help show what i mean.

crushNchowda... you are getting the ice in the bottom fold of the door if i understand correct?

The only ice we get down here is from the freezer. 0" of snow in Houston for 2015. How are things up north this year? ;)

Stay warm my friends!

The only warmth we get up here is from our fridges. :-) I bet the freezer in my garage has barely had to run all winter. Front page of my local newspaper last week said something about February being one of the coldest months on record here in Michigan. It's gotten up into the 40's and hit 50 twice this week and I've still got snow and ice in my yard that hasn't melted off yet.

Archived