GM cutting warranty and included maintenance in 2016

Gorehamj

It's all about the $$, you buy an American vehicle these days and you get to know the service dept. by their first names. Must be killing their bottom line to have to do all the repairs for free. Instead of improving their product they shorten the warranty. When you used to be able to work on them yourself, or at a local service station for a decent price, it was not that bad. Now when you go into a dealer to price a repair you leave in disbelief at the price. I still don't understand how the poor quality parts that have a shorter service life than other foreign brands and the sub-par engineering benefits the long term reputation of a company. Not that they care that it looks bad for the US too....If they go ahead with this I wouldn't even consider another GM product.

Hardly. My 2011 made one unscheduled trip to the dealer in 73,000 miles. The whole imports being better thing died years ago, media bias and ignorance keep it alive.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Discontinuing the 10 Year / 100,000 mile warranty in 2016, what’s GM doing?

• In my mind it's called, Cost Shifting from GM directly to the Customer.
  1. If you’re really producing a high quality product, it does not cost anything for a good warranty, nothing or very little goes wrong.
  • Now what happens if company is producing a questionable quality product or planning to do so with lots of problems?
    • In this case a company will have to be extra, extra careful on what and how long they warranty their product.
      • If you don’t supply a quality warranty, there’s not much incentive or reason for quality testing and good solutions before production.
        • After all the cooperation will not be responsible for any repairs and the replacement parts will be more pure cooperate profit.
  • GM, What are you doing?

• Haven’t we seen enough lately to make us wonder, if your cooperate greed and loyalty falls beyond your customer?

What a big disapointment. I just had to get my torque converter replaced on my Silverado. It was just days from the warranty ending and with 76,000 miles. When I purchased the truck, I knew that the 4 spd transmission wasnt the best, but the waranty cinched the deal for me. I wouldn't have bought the truck if it didnt' have the 100K powertrain coverage. I guess I'll be looking elsewhere for my next truck.

Hardly. My 2011 made one unscheduled trip to the dealer in 73,000 miles. The whole imports being better thing died years ago, media bias and ignorance keep it alive.

They don't put all those black dots in the Consumer Reports results for no reason. Before buying an Audi A6 TDI we went to our brand new state of the art local dealership. We drove a new Impala, an SRX and at a GMC dealer we drove a Sierra Denali, big disappointment. The headrests on the Chevy's (and Buick too) stuck out forward so much that we couldn't find a comfortable position to sit in. The brakes sucked and the overall ride was that of a cheap car, and that's after hearing that it was highly rated. I also complained to the salesperson (who knew almost nothing about the products that they were selling) about the quality of the paint jobs, every one had orange peel and a dull shine, including the Caddys. The Sierra sounded like a tin can when on the road, had a bad hesitation and the rear rotors looked like they belonged on a bicycle, price was way too high too. The SRX drove like a Chevy, nothing special. My neighbor bought a new CTS a couple years ago and now says it's the worst car he's ever owned, sucks in the snow and the black paint job is dull and very wavy, looks and sounds like an Enterprise rental car. For almost the same price as a loaded Impala we bought a '14 A6 TDI with 5k on it and it's certified to 100k, and we love it. Quiet, powerful and when you step on the brake it slows down like a 1970 Olds used to. This is coming from a person that only bought GM vehicles, if they wanted to build a quality vehicle they could of many years ago but they don't want too. Their main objective to to make money and make their stockholders happy. I also should mention that I was a mechanic for many years, the GM vehicles had the best technology, especially their engines, which are still better in my opinion but the rest of the systems and parts have too many TSBs and recalls, the quality is not there. I appreciate that on my last '06 Audi wagon I could get 3 or 4 sets of brake pads and not cut or change the rotors. And when you take them off they are vented and very heavy and made of high carbon steel. The rotors on my Sierra delaminated at 37k and the rear backing plate/dust shields all but rusted away to nothing. Look at how many years that they got bad ratings on their braking, all they had to do was increase the size a little but they went for the $$ savings and didn't even care about their reputation or safety. They build a service life into these vehicles, I guess GM realized that they made this life too short and don't want to pay for it anymore. Pisses me off.....God Bless America!

Discontinuing the 10 Year / 100,000 mile warranty in 2016, what’s GM doing?

• In my mind it's called, Cost Shifting from GM directly to the Customer.
  1. If you’re really producing a high quality product, it does not cost anything for a good warranty, nothing or very little goes wrong.
  • Now what happens if company is producing a questionable quality product or planning to do so with lots of problems?
    • In this case a company will have to be extra, extra careful on what and how long they warranty their product.
      • If you don’t supply a quality warranty, there’s not much incentive or reason for quality testing and good solutions before production.
        • After all the cooperation will not be responsible for any repairs and the replacement parts will be more pure cooperate profit.
  • GM, What are you doing?

• Haven’t we seen enough lately to make us wonder, if your cooperate greed and loyalty falls beyond your customer?

GM's loyalty is to shareholders first, then customer. They will do something that gives the shareholder something to smile about, then, they will undo it to get the customers back, and cycle around again. In the meantime, the aftermarket warranty companies will blossom again. Guess it will be getting the dealer to toss in an aftermarket warranty on the next purchase, or go back to the 3 year lease, May not ever own it, but then again, I will never have to pay for repairs.

funny, my 2010 silverado started pissing oil and tranny fluid from their garbage pot metal crimps coming out of the tranny and oil cooler at 60k miles. GM tried to tell me that the lines coming out of the motor and the tranny were not covered under the powertrain warranty. Thats until i explained that if I simply let the lines run dry, the motor and tranny would fail, costing them thousands of dollars to replace, as opposed to $600-750 to replace all the cooling lines now.

I ended up settling for $150 out of pocket and they took care of the rest of the estimated $700 job.

Not all gm vehicles are "problem free"....... and the 5/100k warranty gave me the piece of mind incase mine was one of those taht were not problem free.

Like i said before, bye bye GM and hello 2015 Ram.

I have 160k on my 07 Sierra 1500. Went thru hell trying to get them to fix oil burning issue. They reringed engine at 75000 finally. My 11 escalade has a lifter tick. Loud enough I can hear it in house. It's intermittent. They keep blaming the vvt saying the computer is opening the exhaust valve a little early to help warm up the cats faster and get engine to closed loop mode faster. Doesn't matter to them that it does it no matter if the engine is cold or 210° sitting at a light after driving it 45 minutes. Got 75k on it. Their most likely trying to stall me till warranty out.

I have 160k on my 07 Sierra 1500. Went thru hell trying to get them to fix oil burning issue. They reringed engine at 75000 finally. My 11 escalade has a lifter tick. Loud enough I can hear it in house. It's intermittent. They keep blaming the vvt saying the computer is opening the exhaust valve a little early to help warm up the cats faster and get engine to closed loop mode faster. Doesn't matter to them that it does it no matter if the engine is cold or 210° sitting at a light after driving it 45 minutes. Got 75k on it. Their most likely trying to stall me till warranty out.

Actually the flaw in their logic is even simpler that what you say. VVT is done via a cam phaser mounted on the front of the cam. Since there is only the one camshaft, and change in VVT is done equally to both intake and exhaust, because there is never a time that no intake valve is happening right when they want to alter exhaust valve timing. Besides, they are not altering the oil pressure within the valve lifter, so why would the valve have excessive clearance to make it noisy?

Don't all O2 sensors have heaters? I know at one time there were two different O2 sensor "types", one being heated having 3 wires, and one not heated, having 2 wires.

If the tick is that loud, and can be reproduced for them to experience it, they should have been able to isolate the location of the noise. Ticking noise can only have a couple to a few causes.

I used to run Rhoads lifters in my 351C in my 78 King Cobra way back when. These lifters were designed to essentially bleed down with lower oil pressures, then as oil pressure increased, and engine speed increased, the leak slowed down, and eventually stopped leaking altogether. Purpose of those lifters was to allow the use of a pretty wild hydraulic cam on the street. At idle the leaking lifters reduced valve lift and duration, and at speeds over about 3500 the lift and duration would return to published numbers. Without them, idle was 1100 to 1300, with not enough engine vacuum to run power brakes. With them, idle was 700 to 800, and over 18 inches of vacuum at idle. Only real issue was the cam did not sound as nasty at idle. Car had a C4, 3000 stall converter, manual valve body, and sounded similar to mechanical lifter engine. Not ticking, but a mechanical noise. A lot of text just to say if one is ticking, it cannot be caused by something impacts all cylinders. On my example, as I said, no tick from one lifter, ever.

funny, my 2010 silverado started pissing oil and tranny fluid from their garbage pot metal crimps coming out of the tranny and oil cooler at 60k miles. GM tried to tell me that the lines coming out of the motor and the tranny were not covered under the powertrain warranty. Thats until i explained that if I simply let the lines run dry, the motor and tranny would fail, costing them thousands of dollars to replace, as opposed to $600-750 to replace all the cooling lines now.

Something you need to keep in mind. Had the transmission and or engine run out of oil due to leaking, GM would give you hard time regarding a warranty claim. Owners are required to verify oil levels at a regular basis. If an oil line explodes or gets blown off the connector, you are still required to stop immedietly, but safely, even if you are on the highway when the oil level light for engine comes on, and likely once the torque converter is no longer filled with oil, the actual hydraulic flow required for the converter to work would make the transmission to no longer drive the vehicle. Since the converter is not passing any power to the transmission, no damage will likely come from it. And also due to know fluid, means no oil pressure in transmission, that also means the clutch packs cannot even begin to apply. But, again like the engine, warranty would likely be denied.

For my issue its the lifters. There's a tsb on the lifter noise. There's also a tsb on the vvt exhaust thing. The vvt tsb also states it would only do this when engine is cold.

Getting off topic though.

I won't buy another new gm product beginning in 2016. I'll buy used, pay off quickly and drive it till the wheels fall off.

Not sure what year your truck is but, GM has had the 5yr/100000mile powertrain warranty for decades. The 3/36000 warranty you mention is the standard new vehicle warranty(commonly known as "bumper to bumper" warranty). The warranty being talked about here is the powertrain warranty.

I was thinking the extended power train warranty at 5yr/100,000 went into effect in 2008 or around bankruptcy time frame.

edit: found link. The 5/100 warranty took effect the 2007 model year. http://www.autonews.com/article/20150312/RETAIL/150319950/gm-to-cut-chevy-gmc-powertrain-warranty-to-60000-miles-from-100000

I know that both my 2000 GMC Sierra expired on everything except paint/corrosion & maybe something emission related at 3yr/36,000.

Pretty sure the 2001 Pontiac Trans Am was the exact same.

Someone mentioned GMs extended warranty that they sell? Could be mistaken, but generally the extended warranties that sales guys have

pushed are aftermarket co's(not GM owned) & the sales guys keep a big percentage of that sale. So yeah, can see dealerships pushing for

a shorter factory warranty package.

For those switching brands, go read about some of the awesome warranty experiences at those other brands forums for fun.

Btw, what is Fords power train warranty? How has that affected their sales with a more complicated engine set up? Just asking?

...So yeah, can see dealerships pushing for a shorter factory warranty package....

Not only that. The dealer is the one who takes your old truck for trade in.

I can hear it already: "...yeahh...I can't give you more than that...you know...it's hard to sell a truck with no warranty left...".

Maybe it'll effect the used car marked more than the buyer who can afford a new truck every three years.

so long

j-ten-ner

Not only that. The dealer is the one who takes your old truck for trade in.

I can hear it already: "...yeahh...I can't give you more than that...you know...it's hard to sell a truck with no warranty left...".

Maybe it'll effect the used car marked more than the buyer who can afford a new truck every three years.

so long

j-ten-ner

I thought that as well, GM has very good resale value of used trucks. I would expect the resale value to become diluted after 2016 due to the warranties being shorter. Just like the later GMT 800 style of trucks, if you can find a low mileage 2006 they are at a premium right now. There are a lot of folks that don't want the AFM garbage in their trucks.

Archived