What stubby antenna gets the best reception?

I recently bought the 'Stubby Antenna' from Craven Speed and while it looks great, the reception is terrible. I read a whole bunch of reviews on them and they were about 50/50, but after about a week with it, I'm looking for something different. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Really looking for an antenna that is shorter than the factory antenna, but still provides good reception on the radio.

Here are a few others I have found.

AntennaX - flex rubber 13"

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Off-Road-13-inch-Antenna-Silverado/dp/B00651C2E0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426602965&sr=1-1&keywords=antenna+x+for+silverado

AntennaX - Billet 14"

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Billet-14-inch-Antenna-Silverado/dp/B00651BIKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426603406&sr=1-1&keywords=short+antenna+silverado

I actually just installed a 5' Antennax on my truck but that was last week and I have not driven it, should be driving it in a few days. Don't really care about the reception as a Never listen to FM... IPOD hookup or XM for me

Stubby antenna regardless will get worse reception no matter what, compared to the stock one. Think about it, the stock one has what like 30" of antenna to grab signal. If you reduce that to a 13-14" antenna, it can only grab that much signal.

• Like 2

I have the AntennaX on my truck. Works well, but I live in a metro area where I only listen to local stations. Reception does fade faster with it than with the stock antenna.

Probably depends on where you live and how far away the stations towers are if a shorty will work for you...

I actually just installed a 5' Antennax on my truck but that was last week and I have not driven it, should be driving it in a few days. Don't really care about the reception as a Never listen to FM... IPOD hookup or XM for me

Well let me know how it works for you. I have the stubby now and reception is very spontaneous. If I got with the AntennaX, I'd probably go with the 13 or 14".

Stubby antenna regardless will get worse reception no matter what, compared to the stock one. Think about it, the stock one has what like 30" of antenna to grab signal. If you reduce that to a 13-14" antenna, it can only grab that much signal.

I understand that. I live in the suburbs, about 20 miles outside of Houston, so I didnt think reception would take too big of a hit, but apparently I was wrong. I'm thinking with a 13-14" antenna, I'd be better off.

I have the AntennaX on my truck. Works well, but I live in a metro area where I only listen to local stations. Reception does fade faster with it than with the stock antenna.

Probably depends on where you live and how far away the stations towers are if a shorty will work for you...

What length did you go with? Did you get the billet or the rubber one?

Well let me know how it works for you. I have the stubby now and reception is very spontaneous. If I got with the AntennaX, I'd probably go with the 13 or 14".

I understand that. I live in the suburbs, about 20 miles outside of Houston, so I didnt think reception would take too big of a hit, but apparently I was wrong. I'm thinking with a 13-14" antenna, I'd be better off.

What length did you go with? Did you get the billet or the rubber one?

5" billet From Amazon Link

• Like 1

I had an avalanche prior to this sierra and when i did my antenna delete on the AV, all i had to use was primary wire as my antenna. Attach some good primary wire to the antenna base and run it under the wiper cowl to the drivers A pillar, then up the A pillar.

The older gen tahoes and yukons had a similar setup from the factory

I got one from O'Reilly for $8 when I bought my old 2010 Silverado, then moved it over to my '14. Worked perfectly since day 1, including HD stations.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MET1/CKRM1R/N0201.oap?ck=Search_antenna+-+universal_-1_-1&keyword=antenna+-+universal

My stubby from craven speed is horrible. Loses hd signal all the time. Drives me crazy so took it off and put the old antenna back on. U can turn hd off but as soon as u shut the truck off it switches back to hd again.

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

A shorter antenna should work fine for FM reception where the wavelengths are much shorter than AM. The factory antenna has to account for AM as well as FM so that's why the length is what it is. The lower the frequency, the longer the antenna required. Submarines used to tow an antenna hundreds of feet long.

Edited by HighwayStar
  • Like 1