What stubby antenna gets the best reception?

My stubby from craven speed is horrible. Loses hd signal all the time. Drives me crazy so took it off and put the old antenna back on. U can turn hd off but as soon as u shut the truck off it switches back to hd again.

I don't know if you've looked into it already, but I never even knew my radio had HD until 6+ months after owning it. Then I found the setting and turned it on. I can't imagine it turning back on by itself if I turn it off, since it didn't start out that way. But mine is the LT model, so maybe there's a difference between LT/LTZ.

By the way, all black is looking good!

I've had them on past trucks and sometimes it did seem the reception wasn't the greatest. This time I just cut off about 1.5 inches from the top of the stock antenna so it no longer hits my garage opening at my house. No issues with reception or HD signal that I've noticed.

I don't know if you've looked into it already, but I never even knew my radio had HD until 6+ months after owning it. Then I found the setting and turned it on. I can't imagine it turning back on by itself if I turn it off, since it didn't start out that way. But mine is the LT model, so maybe there's a difference between LT/LTZ.

By the way, all black is looking good!

i go into menu on radio. HD-switching. Turn it off. As soon as I turn the truck off and back on it switches to on again

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

I just installed the craven speed stubby yesterday.... should have searched the forums sooner. It sucks. the only reason i wanted a shorter antenna was so it doesnt whack the garage door on the way in and out.

the stock one has a smaller wire coiled around it and then a small ball on the top. if i trim the top off about 4 or 5 inches would it ruin the antenna?

• Like 1

My antenna kept hitting the garage as I drove through it for work. So I just popped the ball of the antenna off, dremmel'd about 2 inches off and popped back on the antenna. I've no degradation in reception.

• 1 month later...

I just installed the craven speed stubby yesterday.... should have searched the forums sooner. It sucks. the only reason i wanted a shorter antenna was so it doesnt whack the garage door on the way in and out.

the stock one has a smaller wire coiled around it and then a small ball on the top. if i trim the top off about 4 or 5 inches would it ruin the antenna?

ya I got the stubby and it really sucks. Can't keep HD station and can't pick up my talk radio fm station. Input the old one back on for now. Let me know if u find one that works

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

I would try antenna X if your looking for a short antenna, tried my FM today and worked the same as is it with the bigger antenna.

does your stereo have HD? Or is yours 2015

Sent from my iPhone

using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Just installed a 21" I got on amazon for 20 bucks. comes up to the same height as the XM antenna on the roof, so now it clears my garage with ease. reception is awesome, just as good as the stock antenna.

the only problem was the crappy adapter that comes with it broke when I tried tightening it... but I easily made a new (and better) one at work.

I bought a stubby one on amazon, and it didnt get a few stations I usually got with the stock antenna. One of which is my favorite sports station, so had to go back to stock. Ugh