What stubby antenna gets the best reception?

I bought a stubby from the local O'Reilly auto parts, and it seems to work fairly well. I'm located about 25 miles west of Indianapolis where all the stations are and the reception has been good. For what its worth I've not heard much good about the shorter rubber antennas as they tend to arc backwards after running through the wind. It then looks funny when the truck is parked, and or sitting.

Here is the one I have.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MET0/AWRMCF/N0201.oap?ck=Search_antenna_N0201_5187699_-1&keyword=antenna&pt=N0201&ppt=C0325

Just installed a 21" I got on amazon for 20 bucks. comes up to the same height as the XM antenna on the roof, so now it clears my garage with ease. reception is awesome, just as good as the stock antenna.

the only problem was the crappy adapter that comes with it broke when I tried tightening it... but I easily made a new (and better) one at work.

link? Thx!

link? Thx!

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-2006-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado-Antenna/dp/B00SLMH18S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457698771&sr=8-2&keywords=silverado+antenna+21

25 bucks, my bad. still well worth it and don't have the painful slapping sound going into my garage anymore

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaMastsRus-2006-2016-Chevrolet-Silverado-Antenna/dp/B00SLMH18S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457698771&sr=8-2&keywords=silverado+antenna+21

25 bucks, my bad. still well worth it and don't have the painful slapping sound going into my garage anymore

Thanks! I think that's the perfect replacement.

i don't think our antennas have a standard plug for this to work, do they?

I'm not 100% sure. That's one of the reasons s why I haven't done this yet. A while back I pulled the radio screen out of the dash. There is a plug behind it that looks like an antenna plug, but I think there's also one on a module under the passenger side glove box. I suspect one is for the AM/FM antenna and the other is probably for the satellite antenna.

• 5 weeks later...

So I just picked up this one from AutoZone to try it out. I don't listen to the radio often so a may not be the best judge but tested it tonight and was picking up the stations I'm aware of and switching to HD pretty quick. Seems decent for 10 bucks, it's aluminum just fyi...

64059a88ba58f6838b22c093c105e8b2.jpg

e47a3d3ccec008dd09f189c5634f639d.jpg

Sent From My Galaxy S6 Edge+

Just cut your stock antenna to the length you want with a hacksaw or a dremel tool like I did ... I smoothed out the tip and hit it with a black paint on the tip and it's Good To Go!!! If you want you can pull the stock round ball tip and file down the newly but tip and pop the ball on for a more stock look.

I have tried 3 short antennas and I have come to the conclusion they ALL Suck

this is much better then others I have tried.

I cut mine down the 14" and it looks and functions perfectly.

All for the cost of more then likely nothing if you have the tools to do it which isn't much at all.

Enjoy!!! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I recently bought the 'Stubby Antenna' from Craven Speed and while it looks great, the reception is terrible. I read a whole bunch of reviews on them and they were about 50/50, but after about a week with it, I'm looking for something different. Does anyone have any other recommendations? Really looking for an antenna that is shorter than the factory antenna, but still provides good reception on the radio.

Here are a few others I have found.

AntennaX - flex rubber 13"

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Off-Road-13-inch-Antenna-Silverado/dp/B00651C2E0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426602965&sr=1-1&keywords=antenna+x+for+silverado

AntennaX - Billet 14"

http://www.amazon.com/AntennaX-Billet-14-inch-Antenna-Silverado/dp/B00651BIKO/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1426603406&sr=1-1&keywords=short+antenna+silverado

I ordered the same one from craven speed and I am going to have to send it back. What did you end up with and are you happy with it? I do not actually listen to AM/FM radio but I want to maintain the option. The stock antenna was getting caught on everything after I lifted the truck, so it had to go. Thanks!