What stubby antenna gets the best reception?

• 2 weeks later...

My 50cal antenna works way better than stock and it looks even better...

i'm glad you had better luck than me...I got one and tried it this week...I live in a metro area and it struggles to stay connected to the main stations around here...sending mine back... :(

Some more details

1) Unscrew antenna

2) pop off plastic cover

3) unbolt 3 small bolts holding antenna on

4) find antenna wire and pop off grey wire retainer from truck (be careful not to pull out antenna wire from antenna base)

5) route antenna base near fender

6) Take small round grommet from bed and place in hole of plastic cover

7) Re-attach antenna, place bolts into 3 holes, attach plastic cover

8) zip tie antenna to inner fender (I will take pics to show how I routed)

and can always put back to OEM if reception does change, but I haven't noticed any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i went to do this, this weekend...but my socket wrench wouldn't fit into the area that the small bolts are...do you know off hand the size of the bolt so i can get a different wrench to get this done?

i went to do this, this weekend...but my socket wrench wouldn't fit into the area that the small bolts are...do you know off hand the size of the bolt so i can get a different wrench to get this done?

I think I used a small socket with extension. Maybe 8 or 10 MM

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I use logic that a shorter antenna would get worse reception naturally. But I'm new to this so I'll make my question as simple as possible.

I have the stock factory antenna and I'm considering adding a tool box to my bed and adding another antenna to increase signal, same height. I've also considered putting two antenna's on the toolbox, shorter as to not pass the cabin roof so I don't hit anything in my condo garage like I do now with my factory unit. My truck isn't lifted and I still hit certain points in the garage. I will be lifting my truck enough so I don't hit anything and will definitely be making more contact with the factory piece.

So I'm wondering if I could get a shorter antenna to replace the factory one, then 2 more antennas short enough that they don't pass my cabin roof.

What do you guys think???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My antenna was 2 inches too long and rubbed against my garage door. I was worried about losing reception with a stubby antenna. I took the antenna off, used a leather glove to protect the antenna and held it with a pair of vise grips. Put vice grips on the little ball on the end of the antenna and pulled it right off. I cut 2 inches off with my Dremel. The wire that is wrapped around the antenna will need to be resecured to the antenna near where I made the cut, so I put an inch of shrink tube on and press fitted the little ball back on. Shrink the shrink tube, paint black and done. Works great. 

Don't buy anything. Follow this post and it's completely free. I didn't lose any reception at all.

Radio antenna

Below: You can do this with pretty much any late model and classic GM truck. On some, the Tahoe/Yukon has a cover with no hole so no grommet required.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Egm-trucks%2Ecom%2Fforums%2Findex%2Ephp%3F%2Ftopic%2F165883-Radio-antenna%2Fpage__view__findpost__p__1521553&share_tid=165883&share_fid=33003&share_type=t&share_pid=1521553

Here are my results.
81965e6cf3ca5c73a10adf815f9f4e61.jpgaaf5d5110513bc28928107e50b14fa71.jpg

I flipped mine upside down and lost all reception