I just had this happen to my 2015 Tahoe. (Yes its out of warranty) $300 + for the repair.

I'm surprised that with this being a known problem that GM isn't covering this for its customers.

I'm somewhat concerned that this could happen again ---- Does anyone know if the fix is a true fix or a band aid?

The add-on bracket evidently is a GM quick fix.. Where the bracket holds the two high pressure lines together. What it "supposed" to do is probably stop or limit the vibration of the HP line that has the elbow in it from vibrating. Without it, the elbow will over stress and eventually crack, like mine and many others have done.

I know the dealership will only warrant its repair for 30 days.

But if this doesn't fix the issue I could go through this again.

I'll definitely see if my dealer can do anything since I have the TSB to clearly indicates that this is not a customer abuse or normal wear and tear issue.

• 2 weeks later...

I get one vacation a year...nothing says go to hell GM like a 16 hour drive home in 90 degree plus weather with n your wife and 2 dogs.

My wife has a bad sun burn on her right shoulder from driving with the windows down.

I just had the dash put back together from rattling apart for the fourth prior to leaving on the trip. 2014 Sierra crew all terrain 27,800 miles.

DEALER TRIP NUMBER 21

I think I'm calling a lawyer in the morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to me this past weekend. 2014 Sierra SLE with appx 27k miles. Air blowing warm. Took it to dealer and said condenser was leaking. Didn't say how, didn't ask. Thankfully all covered under warranty. According to job sheet they replaced condenser, Freon and recharged.

Just picked my truck up today...had to have the condenser. Apparently it had a crack in it and all the freon leaked out last week with temps around 97...ugh! 40,822 miles and a sizeable repair bill at $755.53.

Thank goodness I only had 36,000 miles when a lifter seized and damaged the camshaft. Truck was in the shop 10 days but at least warranty covered that repair.

Two major repairs in the last 5000 miles.

• 1 month later...

Man now Im getting nervous. I have 33, 000 on my 2014 and a couple times the air will go warm but cool off again about 30 seconds later. Its done this a couple times last summer but did it last week twice. I haven't had a chance to bring it in yet.

Man now Im getting nervous. I have 33, 000 on my 2014 and a couple times the air will go warm but cool off again about 30 seconds later. Its done this a couple times last summer but did it last week twice. I haven't had a chance to bring it in yet.

If yours goes warmer then cold again could be low on freon/refrigerant. Mine just one day was working and the next nothing. I'm taking it to the dealer today, hopefully is something cheap to fix.

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

https://m.youtube.com/user/jorgerangel159

I own a 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Texas Edition. Same issue as I am seeing from previous posts. Cracked AC hose at the weld. Of course my vehicle is two months out of warranty. 15,000 miles, 3 years old and kept mainly in the garage and used for family trips. Noticed two days ago that only warm air was blowing out of my vents. Took vehicle to the dealer to try to talk about warranty work, and I explained to him about the AC not working. Then I am told that this happens often on the Silverado's. As if my rims and tires constantly being tried to be stolen and now an AC problem to worry about in the future......WHY wont GM cover this?????? Is too much to ask for a 50K$ vehicle to last 6 years and not have to worry about major maintenance or engineering defects/flaws? Thanks Chevy, while my friend who drives a Toyota Tundra laughs at me.

eaf1a0656b44738704b809fe159fb2e1.jpg leaky hose on top of compressor is my guess, is a big leak so it was puddling n it dripped down to the compressor

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

https://m.youtube.com/user/jorgerangel159

Edited by NitroDatsik

• 1 month later...

LIVE CHAT

Connected to Agent

Robert Tuma:10:19:09 AM

GMC - Service on a vehicle I own

Connection established.

Welcome to GMC

Connecting.....A live chat agent is now entering the chat.

Scott:10:20:23 AM

Thank you for contacting GMC Customer Assistance, Robert my name is Scott. Your Safety is very important to us at GMC, so please remember to not use any hand held device whenever you're driving.How can I assist you today?

Robert Tuma:10:23:51 AM

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra truck. I have 42,000 miles and am no longer under warranty. Last week my AC stopped working, I called the dealership where I have always had all maintenance done and asked when I could bring it in... I was told that I would have to wait until Nov. 7th... I live in Texas; even in October AC is a must... So I decided to try and figure it out myself with Google... I got online and found out that since 2014 there has been an 8 dollar bracket that could have prevented this, yet was never installed on my truck even after have only dealing with the dealer.

Robert Tuma:10:24:48 AM

I couldn't wait, so I bought the parts myself and had an local mechanic test and verify the fix...

Robert Tuma:10:25:58 AM

$231.11 cost for repair, $64.09 cost for GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Hose Assembly, $8.66 GM Bracket Part#23264893

Robert Tuma:10:26:47 AM

The $8.66 bracket could have prevented this issue from the very beginning... #PIT5331

Scott:10:27:05 AM

I apologize that your AC stopped working,Robert.

Robert Tuma:10:29:29 AM

I believe that I should be reimbursed for my cost; it seems that fixing known issues should be a benefit of using the dealer for maintenance.

Scott:10:30:39 AM

To clarify did you have the repair done at a GM Certified Dealership, a Certified technician or a independent mechanic?

Robert Tuma:10:32:54 AM

I can call and ask if they're certified, the GM Dealership had a waiting period that was to long for 90+ degree weather... I took the truck to a place called Lorentz Motors in Lewisville, TX. They fixed the issue in just a few hours.

Robert Tuma:10:35:22 AM

My dealer in Carrollton, Classic Buick GMC of Carrollton has had ample opportunity to add the bracket, as all other maintenance has always been performed there.

Scott:10:36:12 AM

Lorentz Motors did all the repairs?

Robert Tuma:10:36:41 AM

http://www.lorentzautoinc.com/

Robert Tuma:10:36:50 AM

Yes, they did all repairs

Robert Tuma:10:39:45 AM

They're ASE

Scott:10:41:52 AM

Since the repairs where done at a third party shop and not done at a GM Certified Dealership, there will be not reimbursement from GM.

Robert Tuma:10:45:22 AM

Okay, I'm sharing this conversation in every forum I can... The fact that there has been ample opportunity for GM to fix an issue they knew about, but ignored, is something people should know about. This will also weigh heavily on future vehicle purchases.

LIVE CHAT

Connected to Agent

Robert Tuma:10:19:09 AM

GMC - Service on a vehicle I own

Connection established.

Welcome to GMC

Connecting.....A live chat agent is now entering the chat.

Scott:10:20:23 AM

Thank you for contacting GMC Customer Assistance, Robert my name is Scott. Your Safety is very important to us at GMC, so please remember to not use any hand held device whenever you're driving.How can I assist you today?

Robert Tuma:10:23:51 AM

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra truck. I have 42,000 miles and am no longer under warranty. Last week my AC stopped working, I called the dealership where I have always had all maintenance done and asked when I could bring it in... I was told that I would have to wait until Nov. 7th... I live in Texas; even in October AC is a must... So I decided to try and figure it out myself with Google... I got online and found out that since 2014 there has been an 8 dollar bracket that could have prevented this, yet was never installed on my truck even after have only dealing with the dealer.

Robert Tuma:10:24:48 AM

I couldn't wait, so I bought the parts myself and had an local mechanic test and verify the fix...

Robert Tuma:10:25:58 AM

$231.11 cost for repair, $64.09 cost for GM Original Equipment Air Conditioning Hose Assembly, $8.66 GM Bracket Part#23264893

Robert Tuma:10:26:47 AM

The $8.66 bracket could have prevented this issue from the very beginning... #PIT5331

Scott:10:27:05 AM

I apologize that your AC stopped working,Robert.

Robert Tuma:10:29:29 AM

I believe that I should be reimbursed for my cost; it seems that fixing known issues should be a benefit of using the dealer for maintenance.

Scott:10:30:39 AM

To clarify did you have the repair done at a GM Certified Dealership, a Certified technician or a independent mechanic?

Robert Tuma:10:32:54 AM

I can call and ask if they're certified, the GM Dealership had a waiting period that was to long for 90+ degree weather... I took the truck to a place called Lorentz Motors in Lewisville, TX. They fixed the issue in just a few hours.

Robert Tuma:10:35:22 AM

My dealer in Carrollton, Classic Buick GMC of Carrollton has had ample opportunity to add the bracket, as all other maintenance has always been performed there.

Scott:10:36:12 AM

Lorentz Motors did all the repairs?

Robert Tuma:10:36:41 AM

http://www.lorentzautoinc.com/

Robert Tuma:10:36:50 AM

Yes, they did all repairs

Robert Tuma:10:39:45 AM

They're ASE

Scott:10:41:52 AM

Since the repairs where done at a third party shop and not done at a GM Certified Dealership, there will be not reimbursement from GM.

Robert Tuma:10:45:22 AM

Okay, I'm sharing this conversation in every forum I can... The fact that there has been ample opportunity for GM to fix an issue they knew about, but ignored, is something people should know about. This will also weigh heavily on future vehicle purchases.

Sounds like if I had used a GM Certified Dealership, I might have been reimbursed.

I doubt it. .. I'd be shocked if gm paid for it since you're out of warranty.

Regardless, the non gm dealer was just a quick and easy excuse for your person on chat.

This is an easy post warranty repair for gm to make easy money on. Gm won't admit to a design fault for this.

Edited by j13smiley

• 1 year later...

Well hell, I rolled up to the garbage dump this morning with a load of junk to drop off, decided to roll up the windows because the hot weather was producing a heavy stinch out there. Flicked on the ole AC and got mildly warm air. Nice weather I pop the sunroof and the windows, I haven’t used the ac for a good month or more. 90+ temps at the dump isn’t the best time for it to go out! I’m in a 2015 Sierra, 65xxx miles, only issue I’ve encountered with the hvac. I’m not mechanically inclined, but if I have instructions I can fix some stuff. Is this something that can possibly be done on my own in the garage, or do I need professional help?