Finally got my painted rear bumper ends installed. What do you think?

I finally got my new rear bumper pieces in, painted and installed. What do you think?

I think it makes a world of difference and really cleans up the back of the truck. Plus since painted my badges I have no more chrome on the truck. I was really pleased with the quality and fit of the parts since I didn't go OE (purchased from RockAuto).

Before (Chrome)

post-49091-0-20579800-1427208075_thumb.jpg

After (Painted)

post-49091-0-36783400-1427208103_thumb.jpg

No, it's the actual metal bumper end. Got them at RockAuto for about $95 a piece.

The hardest part was removing the old rivets. When I replaced them I used 1/4" stainless nuts and bolts since I didn't want to mess with rivets again.

Ahhhh, I see. I was hoping it was just a painted "skin" that would just cover up the chrome part. That sounds like a bit of a pain to change out. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble. They look really good though!!

I did this recently as well. For anyone else out there thinking of doing this, I purchased mine from Amazon for $112.19 total (for both pieces with shipping). Search for "silverado rear bumper cap." They are aftermarket parts but worked perfectly. They came powder coated black. Also used these as an excuse to buy a rivet gun...

Ahhhh, I see. I was hoping it was just a painted "skin" that would just cover up the chrome part. That sounds like a bit of a pain to change out. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble. They look really good though!!

It wasn't really that hard to do, just took some time. The first side took the longest because I drilled out the center of the rivet and when that didn't work, I kept trying to drill it out but it kept spinning. So I took an old chisel and just took off the top of the rivet and punched the flared end down through the hole (if that make sense). Since they are aluminum rivets they came off really easy. The second side only took about 5 minutes to remove since I figured out the best way on the first side.

If I had to do it again I bet I could have the old parts off and new parts on in less than 45 min. If you can get the parts at a decent price I'd definitely do it.

It wasn't really that hard to do, just took some time. The first side took the longest because I drilled out the center of the rivet and when that didn't work, I kept trying to drill it out but it kept spinning. So I took an old chisel and just took off the top of the rivet and punched the flared end down through the hole (if that make sense). Since they are aluminum rivets they came off really easy. The second side only took about 5 minutes to remove since I figured out the best way on the first side.

If I had to do it again I bet I could have the old parts off and new parts on in less than 45 min. If you can get the parts at a decent price I'd definitely do it.

Cool. Thanks for the information. I'm going to look into it.

Archived