In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Towing

Anyone towing a trailer at or above the limit of the truck? Have a 5.3 4x4 with 3.42 rated for 9600lbs. Looking at a new 30ft rv to replace the pop up and wondering what it's like to tow at full load. I believe the trailer will be at the limit. What problems should I expect?

Biggest issue will be trailer sway, and fun in the wind, it is still a half ton, with that said I am not the trailer police or that "guy" plenty of them on here, if your doing a few trips a year plan accordingly, if you will be doing alotta traveling and indure alot of terrain you may want to go with a 3/4, I will be towing my boat with my half, 10k but at the same time I feel the boat is a easier tow, more aerodynamic, not as much of a sail as a camper, also its not as top heavy, I only do 1 to 3 trips a year that are 100 miles each way, just couldn't justify a 3/4 ton for the rest of the year, and my everyday towing is within 4 miles if the boat needs gas, boat ramp is 1 mile away from my house, with my past truck 2005 crew 5.3 3.42's I would get 11 mpg towing the snowmobile trailer, (enclosed) when i took the boat on a similar trip she grabbed 10.5 mpg and towed the same, it was due to the big brick pushing thru the wind that the snowmobile trailer was

• Like 1

OP, I'm in your situation. I haven't gotten a camper yet, but it'll likely be a larger one and most of my trips wouldn't be longer than a 100 miles, flat terrain, and only a few a year.

However, I will plan on watching my payload and carefully pack. I believe the actual vehicle payload is where the truck could potentially be at it's limit.

I have a 2014 1/2 ton Sierra with the max tow package. I believe it's rated at 12,700 lbs. of towing capacity. My travel trailer is just under 10,000 lbs. loaded, and I haven't had any issues at all. Part of the solution is a good weight distribution hitch and sway control, and proper loading inside the trailer. The biggest issue is wind resistance - it's like dragging a parachute. I average about 8 - 9 MPG cruising at 60 - 65 MPH on fairly flat terrain. Although I'm not really maxing out the ability of the truck, I thought I'd throw in my $.02.

• Like 1

It's all about the hitch.

A "little" over on weight aint gonna kill you (although some pretty freaking smart engineering eggheads put the max GVW and GVWR info out there for a reason!!).... but the weight distribution and SWAY will! Spend the money ($300 to 500) on a good hitch. Pay attention to how you distribute weight inside the trailer. I put heavy stuff over my trailer axles so as not to drop my back bumper or more importantly pivot my steering axle to weightlessness.

As far as motor and tranny go... Put it in tow/haul and go!

Be smart. Don't drive cocky.... you'll be fine.

Edited by NoMoRage

Anyone towing a trailer at or above the limit of the truck? Have a 5.3 4x4 with 3.42 rated for 9600lbs. Looking at a new 30ft rv to replace the pop up and wondering what it's like to tow at full load. I believe the trailer will be at the limit. What problems should I expect?

I agree on the hitch comment...also be sure to weigh your fully provisioned rig...you may find that upgrading your receiver is in order to more effectively manage your tongue weight. Mine pulls just fine at just over 37' long, over 10k lbs and over 1200 lbs of tongue. I did add helper springs to the back in an attempt to manage the squishy suspension, a 14k equalizer to fully restore load to the front, curt class v receiver and Bilstein 5100s..... what are your proposed trailer specifications?