Wiper Blade Chatter?

I seem to get really bad wiper blade chatter...where the blade is literally bouncing across the glass causing an uneven wipe and bad noise. I've tried several different kinds of blade and they all do it. Its entirely the driver's side.

What am I missing here?

Recorded video:

https://youtu.be/S_Fx4PUWYoU

[Video]https://youtu.be/S_Fx4PUWYoU

I haven't tried any new blades yet cause these still work "fine" and I'm a cheap ass lol but I have the same thing happen to me. What seemed to help it for a couple months was to put a nice heavy coating of rain-x on the windshield. Helped it glide across. That and I turn them off during a drizzle so I don't have to hear it haha

My theory is that the wiper blade is too long for the amount of spring pressure the arm has against the glass....more spring pressure would keep the blade ends pressed against the glass better and not allow them to "flop around".

But since I can't increase the spring pressure, I'm going to try shorter blades. Maybe 18"

I find that each time I use my wipers, after putting the truck in the garage, I lift up the wiper blades and then put them back down. This keeps the rubber from taking a set as a result of the downstroke from when the wipers were shut off the last time. It allows the rubber to return back to a "center position". I find that they last longer that way. Im crazy like that.

I find that each time I use my wipers, after putting the truck in the garage, I lift up the wiper blades and then put them back down. This keeps the rubber from taking a set as a result of the downstroke from when the wipers were shut off the last time. It allows the rubber to return back to a "center position". I find that they last longer that way. Im crazy like that.

I'm too lazy to do this lol

My theory is that the wiper blade is too long for the amount of spring pressure the arm has against the glass....more spring pressure would keep the blade ends pressed against the glass better and not allow them to "flop around".

But since I can't increase the spring pressure, I'm going to try shorter blades. Maybe 18"

Would it be possible to buy a stiffer spring and replace the factory one? I know you can buy all different size springs at Home Depot , I replaced the spring on my four wheeler brake pedal to make it it stiffer

Mine does it too... Until there's actually water on the windshield. The Rain-X likely helps because it allows the blade to slide more easily. Lifting and lowering the blades after use likely doesn't "center" them as much as merely prevent them from developing a memory from the downstroke as described (remember when GM used to retract the wipers under the hood and it raised the blades off of the glass?).

The biggest issue I have with wipers is that the driver's side blade ALWAYS develops a small crack in the center and leaves a swept line right across my field of view. Happens to every single vehicle I own.

Thanks for posting that video. I needed a good laugh.

The next time I'm planning on crashing into a convenience store, I'll be sure to use those blades to get all of the condiments and household products off of my windshield.

Take the truck to the dealer-ship, there is a "un-written" consumable items guarantee to replace them for the first 20,000 km's (at least up here in Canada). Its not well advertised, but I have had 2 new sets of wipers replaced on previous trucks.

Thanks for posting that video. I needed a good laugh.

The next time I'm planning on crashing into a convenience store, I'll be sure to use those blades to get all of the condiments and household products off of my windshield.

Ah shit that's the hardest I've laughed all day [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Archived