Intellilink Issues and more…. come on in

Just had my 2015 GMC Denali at the dealers after waiting until I got 4200 miles on it to let things settle out. I took it in for the 'clunk' at times in the 8 speed: their response: "could not duplicate customer concern", the squeaky flapper valve in the exhaust: "could not duplicate customer concern" What the service consultant said: (it works within GM limits and they don't have a solution anyway), for the dim headlights of which they had no idea there was bulletin, but GM has no bulbs. And that the Intellilink wouldn't send the pre-defined messages in response to text messages on my iPhone 6, which they said does not work with Apple phones, due to Apples limitations.

So the only thing did was they reprogrammed the HMI module with the latest updates per doc 4078565 and the service tech said he was able to receive texts and send them through Siri.

But NOW: Intellilink no longer recognizes any voice commands for any of my music on my iPhone… doesn't matter if its bluetooth connected or by USB cable, or on the SD card. It responds to everything with "pardon me" and after 3 attempts it says "goodbye" It only recognizes voice commands to change XM radio stations and navigation commands. Nor can I get text messages anymore through Intellilink. The system was working perfectly before I took it in, other than it would not send the predefined texts in response to a text msg. So aggravating to take your truck in, leave it for 3 days and have it come back worse than when it went in.

At times when I leave my iPhone plugged into the cable, I come out and find the battery completely drained. Has happened many times. Why would my iPhone drain if left plugged into the USB?

I'm waiting for GM to get bulbs to them and I'll take it in again, but at this point I don't have much confidence in getting anything done. After driving my old Z71 Sierra with just an AM/FM radio for 15 years, I guess I was expecting too much.

Anyone else have this problem with the Intellilink system and possibly any solutions?

The voice recognition for music (either via my iPhone, iPod, or USB thumbstick) has NEVER worked in my 2015. I'm surprised to hear yours used to work. All I ever get is "Pardon?"

Every so often, the text message part of my Denali's Intellilink refuses to read anything from my Android phone. The little spinner will spin for a second or two, and that's it. If I go through the hassle of un-pairing from both devices, turning off the truck for a while, then pairing the devices again, it will work for some time. Then rinse and repeat.

There's actually a slew of other bugs I've found, but that's because I am a software engineer and couldn't help bang on it in various ways. For example, when you turn the truck on, everything in the unit is trying to boot up at the same time. That includes the voice command stuff, which makes itself available for use even before its actually ready. Almost anything you say into it will not be understood until about 30 seconds later when its finally actually loaded. The uConnect units Dodge uses have the same boot problem, but they actually disable the voice command feature until its ready, and then give you a little message when it actually is. Much better handling. I sent my list of bugs to GM, which all I got back was a "here's a case number, goodbye!"

My entire Intellilink went out after only 1500 miles. A new unit was installed and the voice commands usually worked pretty well. I had an older iPod connected via USB and I have galaxy S5 hooked up via BlueTooth. Both worked well with the system, but I could never get my text messages to read.

Just had my 2015 GMC Denali at the dealers after waiting until I got 4200 miles on it to let things settle out. I took it in for the 'clunk' at times in the 8 speed: their response: "could not duplicate customer concern", the squeaky flapper valve in the exhaust: "could not duplicate customer concern" What the service consultant said: (it works within GM limits and they don't have a solution anyway), for the dim headlights of which they had no idea there was bulletin, but GM has no bulbs. And that the Intellilink wouldn't send the pre-defined messages in response to text messages on my iPhone 6, which they said does not work with Apple phones, due to Apples limitations.

So the only thing did was they reprogrammed the HMI module with the latest updates per doc 4078565 and the service tech said he was able to receive texts and send them through Siri.

But NOW: Intellilink no longer recognizes any voice commands for any of my music on my iPhone… doesn't matter if its bluetooth connected or by USB cable, or on the SD card. It responds to everything with "pardon me" and after 3 attempts it says "goodbye" It only recognizes voice commands to change XM radio stations and navigation commands. Nor can I get text messages anymore through Intellilink. The system was working perfectly before I took it in, other than it would not send the predefined texts in response to a text msg. So aggravating to take your truck in, leave it for 3 days and have it come back worse than when it went in.

At times when I leave my iPhone plugged into the cable, I come out and find the battery completely drained. Has happened many times. Why would my iPhone drain if left plugged into the USB?

I'm waiting for GM to get bulbs to them and I'll take it in again, but at this point I don't have much confidence in getting anything done. After driving my old Z71 Sierra with just an AM/FM radio for 15 years, I guess I was expecting too much.

Anyone else have this problem with the Intellilink system and possibly any solutions?

Almost every issue you stated sounds like USER ERROR. Luckily I am familiar with your concerns and can help.

Your tranny clunk: I can't help you.

Squeaky flapper valve: grease or lube it?

Now then, the older HMI software you had prior to the update was NOT setup by GM and Apple to reply with pre-defined text messages for ANY iPhone. This is widely known common knowledge and your salesperson should have explained this to you.

After the HMI update, from what I understand the voice commands were removed for use with an iPhone in favor of using SIRI through the system. To access SIRI through the system HOLD DOWN THE TALK/SPEECH button UNTIL SIRI RESPONDS. Then you can reply to txts and search for music on the phone.

This does not mean they updated the system to allow pre-defined messages when paired with an iPhone. That still will not happen.

Also, you need to have the notifications turned on for the bluetooth connection with the truck. ON YOUR IPHONE Do this to check: press settings app, press bluetooth, make sure it is turned on, under devices look for the name of your paired vehicle and tap the blue i circle to the right of the name. Make sure "notifications" is turned ON. That allows the iPhone to send txt messages into the intellilink system.

If that does not help, delete your paired phone from intellilink and forget the device in the iPhone and re-pair it and everything should work as designed after that.

Lastly, your truck does NOT charge your phone when you leave it plugged into the USB ports, or any port for that matter. A minute or so after locking the truck it will power down all power ports. Simply open your door, dont get out and lock yourself in and watch your phone charge stop. Also in reverse it will not drain the battery of the phone. So I am not sure what is going on there!

Almost every issue you stated sounds like USER ERROR. Luckily I am familiar with your concerns and can help.

Your tranny clunk: I can't help you.

Squeaky flapper valve: grease or lube it?

Now then, the older HMI software you had prior to the update was NOT setup by GM and Apple to reply with pre-defined text messages for ANY iPhone. This is widely known common knowledge and your salesperson should have explained this to you.

After the HMI update, from what I understand the voice commands were removed for use with an iPhone in favor of using SIRI through the system. To access SIRI through the system HOLD DOWN THE TALK/SPEECH button UNTIL SIRI RESPONDS. Then you can reply to txts and search for music on the phone.

This does not mean they updated the system to allow pre-defined messages when paired with an iPhone. That still will not happen.

Also, you need to have the notifications turned on for the bluetooth connection with the truck. ON YOUR IPHONE Do this to check: press settings app, press bluetooth, make sure it is turned on, under devices look for the name of your paired vehicle and tap the blue i circle to the right of the name. Make sure "notifications" is turned ON. That allows the iPhone to send txt messages into the intellilink system.

If that does not help, delete your paired phone from intellilink and forget the device in the iPhone and re-pair it and everything should work as designed after that.

Lastly, your truck does NOT charge your phone when you leave it plugged into the USB ports, or any port for that matter. A minute or so after locking the truck it will power down all power ports. Simply open your door, dont get out and lock yourself in and watch your phone charge stop. Also in reverse it will not drain the battery of the phone. So I am not sure what is going on there!

BVONSCOTT,

Thanks for the help you suggested. It's posts like yours that help us more technology challenged folks to get our supercomputer vehicles performing correctly.

Transmission clunk I've decided to just see if it gets worse and then take it back to them…. I've got 100K miles for them to get it right. The squeaky flapper valve, I asked them about lubing it and they only said, that if I did that, and then a fix came out and they sent it in to GM and they found the lube, they might decline the warranty as the "consumer altered the part and created the problem"… wtf! So I guess i'll live with that for awhile too and see what comes of it.

The service writer finally told me that the predefined messages would not work with an Apple iPhone and I was good with that. I found on another post about holding down the speech button to go through to SIRI and can reply to txts that way, so far so good. But I use an old iPhone as just a music server connected by USB and I have an SD card with music. Connected by USB I get album art and the Intellilink screen shows a complete browsable directory of all my music. Before the HMI update, I could just ask the GM system to find and play a song and bingo, it works! But now, only my bluetooth connected iPhone can only do that through SIRI eyes. If I ask for a song that I know is on the SD card or on my USB connected music server only iPhone, it only says "Pardon". And if you get SIRI to play the music, you don't have access to any of the normal browse function or any of the buttons across the bottom of the screen that allows you to pull up music by playlist, artists, albums, song, or genre etc. that you would normally have available. So to me thats a huge step backward.

As far as receiving text messages, I had all the correct settings on my iPhone as you describe, and finally after multiple deletes and re-pairing that feature all of a sudden started to work as of last night.

It is my USB connected old iPhone (music only server) that sometimes when I go out to my truck after sitting overnight, the battery will be completely drained. It's as if when you shut down the truck, the connected iPhone server keeps on playing until it runs out of battery. I would assume, maybe incorrectly, that when the truck shuts down, it should also tell the music to stop playing, but apparently it just keeps on running until the battery dies. I am aware of the GM feature that after about 15 minutes, all the power to any ports will be turned off to prevent any devices inadvertently left on, from draining the vehicles battery. Even my old 2000 Sierra had that feature:) I know the Intellilink system puts the connected device in a pause mode when it shuts down, so I'm not sure what is going on there. I have not checked to be sure that it's not Pandora that may be causing the power drain though. GM may not have assumed anyone would use an old iPhone as a music server that would stay connected 24/7.

But aside from these little issues, I love my new truck. Put 5000 miles on it in less than 3 months!

No prob.

It sounds like they removed the voice command feature for connected devices. I have the old software so mine works but I am wondering if I update to the new software if will also take that out. Not that I ever use it, I just touch the screen to find songs. I will have to find a document regarding this to be sure.

Devices connected by USB and currently playing a song should stop after turning off the truck. Maybe watch and check it to see that it is stopping, and if not you will have to manually stop it every time you use it. Since I don't use anything other than my main iPhone to play music I take it with me every time I get out so I havent noticed those issues.

• 8 months later...

@

BVONSCOTT

I just purchased the 2015 GMC 2500 Denali Duramax. Love the truck.

just upgraded my iPhone to the 6s (from the 5). The 5 worked perfectly. The 6 (after deleting the connection on both the truck end and the phone end multiple times) will not function with Pandora via Bluetooth. Works fine via USB. Any advice?

Archived