In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
collins5004

2006 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0

I have a 2006 GMC sierra Denali 1500 with a 6.0L. I bought the truck in July 2014. It currently has 80,615 miles on it. The truck has very spongy brakes. Has since I got it. At Christmas new pads and rotors were put on all the way around. I was told to test master cylinder by pumping the brakes without the key on. The pedal gets very firm that way. While truck is running I can pump the brakes and they stay spongy and if I hold the brakes I can push pedal to the floor. I was also told it was possible the ABS sensor on the hubs might be bad so to pull the ABS fuse and drive like that. So I did that and there is no change. I’m not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

My boss keeps two Silverado's, BOTH of them have had this problem, ** not sure if that is your problem ** but the ABS was the problem on both our trucks, we use them for snow plowing and we are hard on them (stopping hard over and over, forward and backwards)

Not sure if it was the "ABS sensor on the hubs" or the part at the "brain" but after my boss got the ABS system serviced they work GREAT again, very firm!!

Joe

I have a 2006 GMC sierra Denali 1500 with a 6.0L. I bought the truck in July 2014. It currently has 80,615 miles on it. The truck has very spongy brakes. Has since I got it. At Christmas new pads and rotors were put on all the way around. I was told to test master cylinder by pumping the brakes without the key on. The pedal gets very firm that way. While truck is running I can pump the brakes and they stay spongy and if I hold the brakes I can push pedal to the floor. I was also told it was possible the ABS sensor on the hubs might be bad so to pull the ABS fuse and drive like that. So I did that and there is no change. Im not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flush and bleed the brake lines. Sounds like air in the system.

Hello again Matt,

You already have a thread started for this question:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/171618-2006-gmc-sierra-denali-60/?do=findComment&comment=1607900

My boss keeps two Silverado's, BOTH of them have had this problem, ** not sure if that is your problem ** but the ABS was the problem on both our trucks, we use them for snow plowing and we are hard on them (stopping hard over and over, forward and backwards)

Not sure if it was the "ABS sensor on the hubs" or the part at the "brain" but after my boss got the ABS system serviced they work GREAT again, very firm!!

I'm not sayin Bagger97 is wrong about bleeding them, I'm just sayin in both our trucks it was not an air problem

Joe

I have a 2006 GMC sierra Denali 1500 with a 6.0L. I bought the truck in July 2014. It currently has 80,615 miles on it. The truck has very spongy brakes. Has since I got it. At Christmas new pads and rotors were put on all the way around. I was told to test master cylinder by pumping the brakes without the key on. The pedal gets very firm that way. While truck is running I can pump the brakes and they stay spongy and if I hold the brakes I can push pedal to the floor. I was also told it was possible the ABS sensor on the hubs might be bad so to pull the ABS fuse and drive like that. So I did that and there is no change. Im not sure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Who ever told you that crap can seriously go pound salt , what an idiot !!!!

See a tech , this is not for a veh owner to fix , if you can't do that ... Park it till you can ,

Why you guys mess with brakes boggles my mind !! If you guys KILL someone ... You're ****ed !!!

Think about that , I don't care how handy you guys think you are ,,,,,you're NOT !!!

Edited by govtech4

See a tech , this is not for a veh owner to fix , if you can't do that ... Park it till you can ,

Why you guys mess with brakes boggles my mind !! If you guys KILL someone ... You're ****ed !!!

Think about that , I don't care how handy you guys think you are ,,,,,you're NOT !!!

That's a bit strong and seems quite a blanket statement......

I personally am quite handy and rarely send my vehicles in to see a tech. I've done my own work for 30 years. I have all the tools & know how to use them. Brakes aren't exactly rocket science. Lots of good info online about this stuff.

I know that I will do a better job than most techs, as many of them aren't going to do all the little attn. to detail things that make the job correct. Besides, vehicle work usually isn't worth $100+ per hour, plus super expensive dealer parts.

Sorry, that's just how it is.......

• Like 1

That's a bit strong and seems quite a blanket statement......

I personally am quite handy and rarely send my vehicles in to see a tech. I've done my own work for 30 years. I have all the tools & know how to use them. Brakes aren't exactly rocket science. Lots of good info online about this stuff.

I know that I will do a better job than most techs, as many of them aren't going to do all the little attn. to detail things that make the job correct. Besides, vehicle work usually isn't worth $100+ per hour, plus super expensive dealer parts.

Sorry, that's just how it is.......

Oh sure, like the Tech's are always perfect and the drivers are just idiots. NOT!! The last time we paid for a brake job, the vehicle caught fire! When we picked it up from the repair shop, we immediately noticed it felt like the brakes were dragging, and went back to the shop. The Tech insisted there was no problem, and that he was certified to work on cars, and customers just didn't understand how modern automotive systems were supposed to operate. Well, a few miles, an empty fire extinguisher, and a tow truck later, we found out the wrong rotors and pads had been installed and that the master cylinder was overfilled. Now we do our own brakes, we feel safer, we save money, and we don't have to put up with the lip service from the supposed ASE 'certified' professional, who ended up getting fired later on for repeatedly messing stuff up. Hopefully he didn't kill anybody.

Oh sure, like the Tech's are always perfect and the drivers are just idiots. NOT!! The last time we paid for a brake job, the vehicle caught fire! When we picked it up from the repair shop, we immediately noticed it felt like the brakes were dragging, and went back to the shop. The Tech insisted there was no problem, and that he was certified to work on cars, and customers just didn't understand how modern automotive systems were supposed to operate. Well, a few miles, an empty fire extinguisher, and a tow truck later, we found out the wrong rotors and pads had been installed and that the master cylinder was overfilled. Now we do our own brakes, we feel safer, we save money, and we don't have to put up with the lip service from the supposed ASE 'certified' professional, who ended up getting fired later on for repeatedly messing stuff up. Hopefully he didn't kill anybody.

Shitty deal for sure, sorry for experience