Important NHTSA warning issued to GM truck owners in salt states

Gorehamj

Yep -stainless will last forever, it's just tough to work with if your flaring and bending for brake lines. Fuel lines throw a curveball into the mix - I haven't looked for a tool that makes those flares, since I don't do many newer vehicles (I turn them down - the money isn't worth the aggravation to me alot of the time). Most of the time with those, I'll cut the fancy fittings off and double clamp R9 hose to it, on my own stuff or friends vehicles if requested.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing we are seeing here in Ontario is the use of 'enviro friendly' chemicals that are being used in place of salt. They are highly corrosive once in contact with metals. It does not happen overnight, but after a season or two, they can do a number on things.

A good spring wash, then Krown rust control late summer.

The environmental b/s is ruining this country. I can't even tell you how many thousands of dollars it's cost me personally, let alone the rest of the population. Nowadays the environment trumps all - even human life. :nonod: Strange, twisted, upside-down world we live in today ...

I just found out from a neighbor that their fuel tank connection was also chewed on by vermin, requiring a replacement line! Question for the group: does anyone know of a fix to protect the lines? the dealer mentioned placing mothballs on top of the tank, but that seems like a real PITA solution. Is there a more-permanent way to protect the fuel lines from rodents?

• 6 months later...

You can get complete pre bent replacement fuel and brake like sets from Classic Tube . Either stainless or reg steel, comete wuth fancy factory connectors. I replaced all my fuel and brake lines with stainless a few years back, wasnt hard to do. If you use copper alloy be sure it is DOT approved for brake lines.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sorry not sure why link didnt post, it is www.classictube.com

You can get complete pre bent replacement fuel and brake like sets from Classic Tube . Either stainless or reg steel, comete wuth fancy factory connectors. I replaced all my fuel and brake lines with stainless a few years back, wasnt hard to do. If you use copper alloy be sure it is DOT approved for brake lines.

Sorry not sure why link didnt post, it is www.classictube.com

Not sure why link didnt post, www.classictube.com

• 6 months later...

I have a 2001 2500HD with 1300,000 miles not rusted out like most, does have usual junk rear bumper. I haven't only driven it 2 winters. I have also was a previous mechanic for 20 plus years never can I remember brake lines rusting like these but they were put inside frame rails and made with better materials. If this issue only appears to be with 1999-2007 trucks I would say GM realized they had an issue.

As far as the Highway Safety Division. They are more worried about "defective" Key switches that turn off and only make it harder to stop and steer rather then an actual Safety device that would make the vehicle not stop at all.

And an underbody wash is not going to get up in between the top of the frame and box or cab where the lines are clipped in a clip that's pointing up.

I have been driving for 30 plus years and always been faithful to GM but In my opinion the last good GM truck rolled off the line in 1998

Archived