[PICS]Don't forget to change your cabin filter!

After I took my mouse infested filter out I turned the fan on and it sounded like a jet engine. I put an inspection mirror in there with a flashlight and found the issue. A-hole mouse #2 fell down into it when I was cleaning the first mouse and all the debris out. It must have been banging its head on every vane of the fan as it spun around. I used a flexible pickup tool to go in there and pull it out. All is well now.

I'd love to figure out how exactly they're able to get into the cabin filter area from the engine compartment.

It's been asked a few times but couldn't find a solid answer, anyone manage to find the best method of removing it without things falling down and causing the noise? I need to change mine, I'm at 19k.

I can't imagine there is anything you can do. The filter box is just big enough to fit the filter. This video will show you how tight it is. I would say use an inspection mirror and pickup tool to fish anything out before turning the fan back on.

• Like 1

I think you could take one of those flexible thin plastic cutting boards and cut it to the width of the filter compartment, then slip it under the filter before you remove it... You need something thin that could slip in there though...

I just checked mine. Didn't think it would be that bad since as long as it's warm enough (60°+) I have the windows down and HVAC off unless it's raining. Well it was dirty and being that I don't really have the money to buy a new one I just basically slammed it on my open tailgate 2 or 3 good times. I know the filter isn't that much, but I'm looking for a job right now and luckily I have a little $ saved up.

Oh as an FYI, if you have anything in the upper glovebox you'll need to take it out before removing the lower glovebox to get tot he filter. I didn't realize that the floor of the upper glovebox was part of the top of the main glovebox and when I took it out everything in the upper glovebox came crashing to the floorboard lol.

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85

5a24a7bb52acee0fee272bfedfa3923a.jpg

Finally got to changing mine after watching this thread. Wasn't too bad as far as larger crap in there but obviously still needed to be changed after about 25,000. Big thanks to the guys in this thread so I knew what to look for as I went along. I'll definitely be keeping up with this change in the future.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I replaced the air filter on my 2014 Silverado this weekend after 15,000 miles. I saw this thread beforehand while researching the replacement so I was careful to pull the filter out slowly. It was filthy and there were quite a few leaves stuck inside. When I turned the truck on after installing the new filter the AC sounded like it was going to take off. I'm glad that people take the time to post on this site because I know exactly what happened and why the fan sounds like an airplane. I will visit my service department Tuesday.

Dealer informed me this morning that this issue wasn't covered under warranty because I changed the filter myself and it wasn't due to be changed. If I had paid dealer to change the filter they would be liable.

It's your truck and its recommenced service intervals...not mandatory. Tell them to F OFF.

The DESIGN led to the fan failure and it would have happened to any TOP SHELF JUNK TECH who changed it.

I guess the leaves would have degraded over the next 6 months.

some dealers blow...write a bad review everywhere you can. F THEM

• Like 2

I can't imagine there is anything you can do. The filter box is just big enough to fit the filter. This video will show you how tight it is. I would say use an inspection mirror and pickup tool to fish anything out before turning the fan back on.

Guess I'll just have to give it a go and hope for the best. I know mines dirty without even pulling it, I live by backroads and orchards where dust is an extremely common thing. Where's everyone buying there replacement filters?

Just a heads up. I pulled my filter paying attention to which direction was up but not which way the filter came out. I searched everywhere trying to figure out which way to put the new one in. It seemed too loose in one direction and slightly too tight in the other direction but possible.

After about half an hour it dawned on me that the plastic cover left a line accross the front of the old filter. Turns out that it should go in the slightly loose way. With the air direction stamp either to the front or the back but not on the side. Thank you for all the other tips though!