[PICS]Don't forget to change your cabin filter!

I'm sure this happened to me over the weekend. I turned the A/C on yesterday for the first time this week and I have a noise. Looks like I'll be taking it apart as well. What made it take so long? The whole removal, or trying to diagnose the noise?

Changing the cabin air filter only took about 10 minutes. Diagnosing the noise, removing the floor kick panel, removing the blower motor to extracxt the leaf. then putting it all back together took the time.

John

Amazing just in a year to have that much dust and debri. Do you live in a rural area?

Suburban/rural. I do drive on dusty roads sometimes though. The filter was pretty nasty. It even had a somewhat bad smell on account of the decaying vegetable matter it had collected in the past year.

John

I suspect the same thing happened to me last fall. I removed the original air filter, cleaned it some light air pressure, and re-installed it. After turning the HVAC motor on, I can hear a noise coming from the HVAC motor area. Took the filter back out and everything looked fine but this time I ran the motor without the filter. Noise was still there. Ended up taking it to the dealer since it was under warranty and they were able to fix it (they didn't say what the cause was and I didn't ask).

If there is anything on top of the filter that isn't small enough to be in the media, I'm not sure how you would pull it out without debris following down into the squirrel cage (very carefully I guess).

This is an obvious design flaw, with as many folks have had it happen. I've been living with that damn loud fan for like 3 months now. Glad to know it is a leaf.

Almost need a thin sheet of cardboard or plastic to slip under the filter before you pull it so it could catch anything that might fall down.

Kinda bull$#!+ that we have to deal with this, but it's really not that surprising...

• Like 1

It is amazing what that cabin filter will catch. I was bad and let my 02 go about two years. Man what a mess came out with the two filters that were in there. Needless to say, I had way better air flow out of my vents. I try to keep it changed on a yearly schedule now. I just get my filters from Amazon. Seems to be the best price since I'm a Prime member.

• Like 2

Changing the cabin air filter only took about 10 minutes. Diagnosing the noise, removing the floor kick panel, removing the blower motor to extracxt the leaf. then putting it all back together took the time.

John

I gotcha. I just pulled my glove boxes out (for more room) and ran the fan without the filter. Still noisy and I can't feel anything with my finger tips in the fan. Looks like I'll remove it tomorrow. Any surprises once I take the kick panel off? Edited by Brews02ws6

I was surprised at how dirty mine was too. But then again, when you see all of the pollen that sits in the truck in the spring and other junk floating in the air, it makes sense. Mine was a dark gray. A/C smells better too after the change. While the filter was out, I vacuumed all around the bracket that holds the filter. Planning to change it once a year now.

While I don't like my wife's Charger, this is one of the areas I have to give Dodge props on. The cabin air filter is changed from under the hood right by the firewall. Comes out pretty easily, lift open the cover, and pull straight up. Any debris doesn't have the chance to fall into the cabin side either. When I saw what it takes to change the filter in my truck, I knew the filter was an afterthought for GM.

It sure makes it easy for debris to fall off the top of the filter by the way it is designed. The opening the filter has to come out is the exact size of the filter so pulling it out will cause any items to get pulled off the top as you pull the filter out.

I'm thinking next time I change the filter, I'll fabricate a vacuum cleaner attachment to get down in the around the bend to get any debris out.

Maybe I'll make a screen that goes under the filter and stays in the slot. If any debris is on top of the filter and gets raked off, it'll only fall as far as the screen - where I can get at it.

Since it not only happened to me, but others as well, the problem is endemic.... Design flaw! Way to go Valeo. We need a TSB to retrofit with a factory screen.

Getting the blower out isn't too hard. Removing the underdash panel off is a little annoying. Getting the underdash panel pack and all the screws back in is a major PITA! There's one screw in the back right I didn't put back in because I gave up trying to get it to line up.

John

Edited by jgedde
  • Like 1

damn it... so that is what happened to mine... ill let the dealer fix it.

They'll probably charge :happysad: you since:

1) The problem is caused by their design flaw.

2) It's not an OEM leaf!

Then figure out a way to have it be it your fault....I've owned many GM cars bought from several dealers, and that is very often the case... My front wheel well liner was scraping on the tire with the wheel all the way t the right. It had been doing that since day one. The service manager told me it was because I drove through the snow! REALLY???? #1, the truck should eb able to drive in snow. #2 it did that since I picked the truck up.

I wish GM offered better customer service... My neighbor's BMW was dead in his garage. I checked the battery for him and found it dead. Since he had to get to work, I jumped it for him. After jumping it, pretty much every idiot light on the dash was on. He didn't feel comfortable driving it, so he called BMW. Now mind you, this was on a Sunday, and the car ran and drove. BMW told him not to drive it; they'd come by with a flatbed and tow it to the dealer for him within two hours and deliver a loaner car! After that, he drove it around the block and the lights went off on their own. The battery still ran down though. BMW fixed it, but I never asked what the problem was...

John

Edited by jgedde

Well, finally got around to doing this. Those kick panel screw are a PITA! Found the leaf, reinstalled, and it runs quietly again. And I left the worst screw off the kick panel, farthest one to front passenger side.

I replaced the air filter on my 2014 Silverado this weekend after 15,000 miles. I saw this thread beforehand while researching the replacement so I was careful to pull the filter out slowly. It was filthy and there were quite a few leaves stuck inside. When I turned the truck on after installing the new filter the AC sounded like it was going to take off. I'm glad that people take the time to post on this site because I know exactly what happened and why the fan sounds like an airplane. I will visit my service department Tuesday.

• Like 2

Just got it back from the dealership. As suspected there was a bunch of shit that fell down into the blower motor. They cleaned it out and they ordered the parts to do TSB PIT5245 which they think will prevent the shit from getting into the A/C system to begin with...