Why one vs other??

Why did you pick the one over the other, Silverado vs Sierra?

Obviously the Silverado out sells the Sierra by huge numbers, so there's not really any competition here. I went with the Sierra, mainly I don't care for the Chevy's front fenders, to square shape for me. To me, the Sierra front end looks bolder and more truck like.

So far, the only negative thing I discovered by going with the Sierra, Ranch Hand doesn't not offer a brush guard if you have the front park assist. Ugh!

I hear the Sierra tends to cost more, but I couldn't imagine by much. I also had a youngster tell me that the GMC is an "old man's truck"!

What say you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a Chevy because the rebates at the time were higher than GMC. But I like the GMC better. Just saved me roughly 10000 to go Chevy.

I have always liked the look of the GMC over the Silverado. Even back in 2002 when I had a Silverado. I wanted to do the GMC front end conversion. I bought that truck because it was the right price. I bought my latest GMC because It's exactly what I wanted.

Back in the day, a Pontiac was a bit more upscale than a Chevy....Since GMCs were sold at the Pontaic dealers, I think that carried over to them also. I have always preffered the look of a GMC, but know they are basically the same

Back in the day, a Pontiac was a bit more upscale than a Chevy....Since GMCs were sold at the Pontaic dealers, I think that carried over to them also. I have always preferred the look of a GMC, but know they are basically the same

First off I've always had Chevys, but I have nothing against GMC obviously. Especially in earlier gens where they looked exactly the same with different emblems. With the new K2s I prefer Chevy over GMC because of the looks. I like that it's blocky like my 86 Custom Deluxe and has trim around the headlights like my 98. Plus too be honest, the Sierra looks similar to all of the other full size trucks out there with the bigger grille that extends more forward than the headlights. At least the Silverado looks different. Then you take in account of the Sierra headlights not being up to par.

I too decided because of the front end, which I liked better on the Silverado. I liked the the headlights and grill better and the only GMC package that was even close was the AT but there were certain options I could not get with that package. The only other was a Denali, which I still liked the Chevy better, but they were about $3000 more. So for me it was looks and the exact options I wanted that were only available on the Chevy.http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o561/swizbicki/IMG_0405%201_zpsxahpp9ol.jpg?1428972026095&1428972026442

At the time Chevy got into pickups gmc didn't make one. Gmc only made bigger trucks. buick,olds,Pontiac and caddy dealers complained they didn't have a truck to offer so gmc started making pickup. The Chevy truck had used the car motor and gmc used Pontiac and buick engines then in 1939 gmc used their own med duty engines for the pickup which had hi pressure oiling and insert bearings where chevy had babbited bearings low pressure splash lubrication. quality of the gmc was better than Chevy hence the difference in price. in 1973 that all chance since now they both come down the same line. Ive always been a gmc guy and I got both of my last trucks cheaper than Chevy.

The looks of the AT, plain and simple. Plus I've always thought the GMC was just a taaaad bit cleaner in the looks department.

Look at virtually any GMC advert, and they put the AT front and center.

At the time Chevy got into pickups gmc didn't make one. Gmc only made bigger trucks. buick,olds,Pontiac and caddy dealers complained they didn't have a truck to offer so gmc started making pickup. The Chevy truck had used the car motor and gmc used Pontiac and buick engines then in 1939 gmc used their own med duty engines for the pickup which had hi pressure oiling and insert bearings where chevy had babbited bearings low pressure splash lubrication. quality of the gmc was better than Chevy hence the difference in price. in 1973 that all chance since now they both come down the same line. Ive always been a gmc guy and I got both of my last trucks cheaper than Chevy.

Thank you for the history lesson. I had no clue to why or how the split between Chevy and GMC.

Archived