How do I test for vibration and clunky shifts at delivery?

I ordered a 6.2L CCSB which has a target production week of next week. So I'm hoping for delivery around 2nd - 3rd week of May.

When I go to "meet" the truck, I'd like to tell the dealer that I'd like to take a fairly extensive test drive.

Of all the issues I've read about here, the scariest are the vibration and the clunky shifting so I'd like to test the truck for those as best I can in a reasonable test drive.

On the vibration, my notes from past research here say look for it between 35 and 45 MPH and when accelerating lightly uphill. My notes also say that shaking is primarily in the steering wheel but also pedal and possibly the floor at highway speeds. Are there any other circumstances I should test? I'm assuming the vibration will be clear if it happens - I just want to run the truck through as many scenarios as I can.

Same for the clunky shifting in the 8-speed, though my understanding is that this one is more hit-or-miss/ghost in the machine. I will try to get a cold start (rather than having the truck warmed up before I drive it). Is there any other circumstances I should test?

I really hate going into what should be a positive experience on the lookout for negatives. But I also don't want to get stuck with a "near lemon" for $50K.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The vibration you can feel at 35-45 I believe sometimes to be attributed to the V4/V8 mode switching. If I do neighborhood driving my truck seems so undecided and rough. I just keep the truck in M5 if I'm not on the highway and its 10x better.

So if you do notice something give that a shot. Love my truck and wouldn't trade it for anything... Maybe an 8spd though!

Be sure you drive around a few parking lots and residential areas while fluctuating from a 15-35 mph speed. If your transmission acts confused, then you'd better learn to live with it. A few say theirs gets better with mileage, but my 6 speed never did, and is still as horrible as day one. Also be sure to hit the highway at the 70-80 mph range. Many of the owners with vibrations notice them at a lower speed, and then also in the 70-80 mph range.

Be sure you drive around a few parking lots and residential areas while fluctuating from a 15-35 mph speed. If your transmission acts confused, then you'd better learn to live with it. A few say theirs gets better with mileage, but my 6 speed never did, and is still as horrible as day one. Also be sure to hit the highway at the 70-80 mph range. Many of the owners with vibrations notice them at a lower speed, and then also in the 70-80 mph range.

Thanks, Newell33. This is exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

I ordered a 6.2L CCSB which has a target production week of next week. So I'm hoping for delivery around 2nd - 3rd week of May.

When I go to "meet" the truck, I'd like to tell the dealer that I'd like to take a fairly extensive test drive.

Of all the issues I've read about here, the scariest are the vibration and the clunky shifting so I'd like to test the truck for those as best I can in a reasonable test drive.

On the vibration, my notes from past research here say look for it between 35 and 45 MPH and when accelerating lightly uphill. My notes also say that shaking is primarily in the steering wheel but also pedal and possibly the floor at highway speeds. Are there any other circumstances I should test? I'm assuming the vibration will be clear if it happens - I just want to run the truck through as many scenarios as I can.

Same for the clunky shifting in the 8-speed, though my understanding is that this one is more hit-or-miss/ghost in the machine. I will try to get a cold start (rather than having the truck warmed up before I drive it). Is there any other circumstances I should test?

I really hate going into what should be a positive experience on the lookout for negatives. But I also don't want to get stuck with a "near lemon" for $50K.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Be shure to check the tire p.s.i via the up/down buttons on the right side of the steering wheel. It will show up on the small info screen. Take your time and pay attention to details. Seems like every auto I buy the whole experience seems like a blur after the papers are signed and the truck is in my driveway. I know it sounds elementary but trust me I've bought 5 new Silvys in the last 7 years. It would also be a good idea to go and "scout out" a good stretch of road to do your test drive on that is close to your dealer in a truck that you are familiar with just to have some sort of reference. These new trucks feel and drive a little "different" for lack of a better word so if you feel something quirky go and drive a few other trucks on the lot.

For the vibrations, as some members have already stated, you want to drive the vehicle on the highway (70MPH+ would be preferable). Both my 2014 and 2015 vibrated severely at these speeds. Be sure to maintain a speed (72-73 if possible) for a few miles and see if any vibrations pop up. Then I would try to increase and decrease your speed and see what happens. My vibrations generally arose after maintaining a certain speed for a few moments and if I changed speeds up or down. Again, mine were only at highway speeds.

As far as the clunky 8-speed......I would hope that you will get one of the updated units that GM has allegedly fixed. From reading posts on this forum, it appears that owners of mid to late January built 6.2L/8-Speeds, have not had any "major" issues with their 8-speeds. The issues with my 8-speed stemmed at lower speeds, specifically pulling from a stop or decelerating to a stop. I try to get some miles on it in a city like setting or maybe drive it around a few parking lots, getting up to 30-35, then coming back to a stop. Do that a couple times....if you dont hear of feel any issues, you should be good to go. Mine made the clunk from day one and you would know if something was wrong it.

Good luck and keep the group of us posted once it comes in.

Archived