searched and cannot find straight answer

Hey guys, new here and frustrated... I own a 2004 Yukon XL 4x4 2500 6.0l 210k

my issues consist of a slew of codes and terrible towing power with moderate fuel mileage.

Here's my codes

P0446, P0452, P1516, P0300

Those are my current codes, now the problems in having is sluggish pulling power under normal driving conditon with no load seems to run fine but just seems the 6.0l should have much more than she does.

Under a 10k load she struggles, big time. Higher rpm over 3k. She clanks she sputters she pings and doesn't shift until throttle is released.

rough idle at random times.

14mpg consistently

I had the dreaded "engine power loss" but I pulled throttle body cleaned the crap out of it and replaced a broken ground wire from hood to firewall don't know which one fixed it but I have yet to have that issue pop back up since. But now it is this issue.

I need assistance asap I use this truck to pull on a daily basis and it's so frusturating being the slow person rolling up a slight incline with a trailer

Thank you all in advance for any advice, any input is appreciated I am not familiar with the 6.0 nor the entire vortec system.

I don't know what those codes are but for general power and mileage performance, the O2 sensors should be replaced every 80k-90k miles according to my GM tech. I have done it on 3 1500's in the past few years & just did my 2002 2500 6.0. All trucks showed mileage improvement as I record all fill ups. The 2500 drives better now. Knock sensors were also replaced on 3 of the 4 trucks and that also helped.

The 2500 was throwing a knock sensor code & I put new plugs & wires and that code went away for a while.

I try to always run Chevron gas. Honda and Chevy reps have told local dealers that the manufacturers have less fuel system problems with Chevron. Some people say they get better mileage with Chevron. I also run non-ethanol fuel if I am close to that station.

Sorry this won't help now, but might help prevent codes in the future. Sometimes you must get all the sensors right to find the real culprit. The grounding issues can be tough to narrow down.

Good luck.

Hey guys, new here and frustrated... I own a 2004 Yukon XL 4x4 2500 6.0l 210k

my issues consist of a slew of codes and terrible towing power with moderate fuel mileage.

Here's my codes

P0446, P0452, P1516, P0300

Those are my current codes, now the problems in having is sluggish pulling power under normal driving conditon with no load seems to run fine but just seems the 6.0l should have much more than she does.

Under a 10k load she struggles, big time. Higher rpm over 3k. She clanks she sputters she pings and doesn't shift until throttle is released.

rough idle at random times.

14mpg consistently

I had the dreaded "engine power loss" but I pulled throttle body cleaned the crap out of it and replaced a broken ground wire from hood to firewall don't know which one fixed it but I have yet to have that issue pop back up since. But now it is this issue.

I need assistance asap I use this truck to pull on a daily basis and it's so frusturating being the slow person rolling up a slight incline with a trailer

Thank you all in advance for any advice, any input is appreciated I am not familiar with the 6.0 nor the entire vortec system.

pay for a diagnoses like everyone else ,you are clueless on what is happening ,,,,,sorry ,work truck means GET IT FIXED NOW ,not check the internet ,,,sweet jebus you guys

The first code is for evap vent valve under the vehicle, replace the valve and gas cap. The second code is for tank pressure sensor, check for leaks at the sending unit on top of tank, and lines. Also could be related to evap valve from first code. Third code is throttle body, That will give you all sorts of drive ability problems like you are having. Low power, not shifting proper. My guess would be a new throttle body is needed. The last code is misfire. That could be related to throttle body, or something else. These are just my guesses, you should have them diagnosed before throwing parts at the truck.

pay for a diagnoses like everyone else ,you are clueless on what is happening ,,,,,sorry ,work truck means GET IT FIXED NOW ,not check the internet ,,,sweet jebus you guys

Ya know not everyone has the extra couple hundred bucks to throw at the dealership when I have my own code reader to check real time statistics. I am simply asking more knowledgeable individuals opinions on these issues because I did read these problems are common issues so my thought was let's see what had and has not fixed these problems. No offense to you or anyone else if you still have a truck under warranty or go to gm with every problem you have. But I don't do that. I'm my own mechanic and it's served me well for many years.

Thanks to you everyone else for the helpful hints and tips I am going to try a few different possible solutions.

Don't take it personal, that's a normal 'take it to a dealership you know nothing' post.

Some people just don't understand that there actually are people in this world that maintain and fix their own vehicles. Everybody doesn't want to run to a dealership to spend hundreds of dollars whenever they have an issue.

Forums are about helping people, asking questions, talking about issues they may be having, and learning. This forum is a great place for that, but no matter where you go, there are always some smart allicks around, that's just the way it is so don't feel as if anybody is being personal with you because changes are, they are not.

If you know anybody who owns a garage or have a mechanic friend, I would try going that route and explaining your issues to them before ever going into a dealership. Most of the time the small shop guys have the best and smartest mechanics working for there. They also do much better quality work from my experience, their livelihood depends on it. (I give a friend of mine a hand at his 4x4 shop when I have time and the customers always give us those compliments).

It may seem strange but those dealership employees are not always familiar with the vehicles that come in for service and may actually know less than you. Many of them rely on calling GM and getting an answer/fix to a problem over the phone from another GM Technician. There are also dealerships that have outstanding mechanics but sadly, there are few of them left.

Anyway, Good luck finding the root of your problem and keep posting your updates as things start getting better.

Ya know not everyone has the extra couple hundred bucks to throw at the dealership when I have my own code reader to check real time statistics. I am simply asking more knowledgeable individuals opinions on these issues because I did read these problems are common issues so my thought was let's see what had and has not fixed these problems. No offense to you or anyone else if you still have a truck under warranty or go to gm with every problem you have. But I don't do that. I'm my own mechanic and it's served me well for many years.

Thanks to you everyone else for the helpful hints and tips I am going to try a few different possible solutions.

Sorry if I struck a nerve ,these codes are for a guy that has a few things like a scanner and service information and the ability to follow a code etc etc

ALOT of people don't have those items to begin to fix their veh's

That,s all I meant

Good luck

Don't take it personal, that's a normal 'take it to a dealership you know nothing' post.

Some people just don't understand that there actually are people in this world that maintain and fix their own vehicles. Everybody doesn't want to run to a dealership to spend hundreds of dollars whenever they have an issue.

Forums are about helping people, asking questions, talking about issues they may be having, and learning. This forum is a great place for that, but no matter where you go, there are always some smart allicks around, that's just the way it is so don't feel as if anybody is being personal with you because changes are, they are not.

If you know anybody who owns a garage or have a mechanic friend, I would try going that route and explaining your issues to them before ever going into a dealership. Most of the time the small shop guys have the best and smartest mechanics working for there. They also do much better quality work from my experience, their livelihood depends on it. (I give a friend of mine a hand at his 4x4 shop when I have time and the customers always give us those compliments).

It may seem strange but those dealership employees are not always familiar with the vehicles that come in for service and may actually know less than you. Many of them rely on calling GM and getting an answer/fix to a problem over the phone from another GM Technician. There are also dealerships that have outstanding mechanics but sadly, there are few of them left.

Anyway, Good luck finding the root of your problem and keep posting your updates as things start getting better.

Take it easy will ya, I never said dealer , nice rant though

• 1 month later...

been working on cars/trucks/tractors/atv's. motorcycles since I got a DL in 1974. Before that it was anything without a motor. Never been employed to work on them.

I'll admit that when I was a kid most of my buddies knew how to fix things because most of the men they knew came through the depression. Today I only know a few who could do more than an oil change.

If anyone is willing to make mistakes they can get to be a person who knows what's what. It's an education and educations cost. Don't be afraid to fail.

When I was a kid I had a harley, at one time it kept perfect time. I doubt anyone here has ever heard one in perfect time. Most things a guy can do with a minimal outlay in tools and a lot of tools can be rented for free. There are times when a scanner is required, like to buy one and I might if I ever need one more than once in my life (that will be the next time I need the timing set which can only be done with a scanner-sucks).

You can make your truck run perfect. I've gone as far as getting a replacement work truck while I fix mine and then selling it after.

Learn to fix things, your country depends on it.

• 4 months later...

Archived