I just bought 2001 GMC Sierra with the same damn problem..extremely frustrating. I've completed several fresh drive cycles in the last few days to no avail..however, when I first brought the truck in to the smog center this morning the tech said it completed. Then when he "double checked" it before running the actual smog, it failed...this left me confused and a little pissed off...

Yeah, I'm almost a year out, as of May, and still hasn't cleared and ran the Sec Air System I/M ready test. It is stuck in INC. There is another thread with relevant info to the this problem....no solution has revealed itself yet, short of taking the vehicle into a dealer or independent shop and opening up your bank account wide for exploratory "diagnosis."

Other thread: http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/trying-to-pass-smog-in-cali.76752/page-6

I'm having this same issue 2000 Silverado 5.3l also in Cali.............I've had engine light activated countless times over the 16 years with this truck always the same code P1416 changed 2ndary A.I valves never made a difference, changed upstream O2's ............every 2 years at smog time it always manages to give me the light when about to test so I try to plan ahead ..........always seems to be a hassle but I'd clear the codes and drive a bit wouldn't take too long to do it's thing (the drive cycle) and I'd be good to go. Not the case this time. Although I thought it was................. this year however I have the wonderful code pending P1416 2ndary A.I not ready----- phenomena, what a gift. Just learning about it, hence my being here and writing this. Paid Reg but of course have no valid tags which has made the 250 plus miles already driven more nerve racking then I care for, with the seemingly rabid law enforcement in my slice of Bay Area Heaven and more miles then it ever required previously. After reserching the topic this morning and getting copies of the different system cycle requirements I/M's most importantly for me(I hope) what it takes to complete Secondary Air Injection monitor I noticed something I have failed yet to do or incorporate in my driving. I'm going to go do it now in accordance with I/M and prey it works !!!!! That missing piece is the air conditioning:

IDLE TIME: Run engine (do not drive) for 2 1/2 minutes with the air conditioner on and rear

defroster on. During this period the ECU will be running the Oxygen Sensor Heater self-test, Air

Injection System Passive Air test, EVAP Purge "No Flow" test, Misfire Detection.

ACCELERATE: Turn off the air conditioner and rear defroster and begin driving your Silverado.

As soon as possible apply half throttle until 55mph is reached. The ECU will now run self-tests

on the Misfire Detection, Fuel Trim, and EVAP Purge Flow.

THIS IS NOT THE ENTIRE PROCESS JUST THE PART CONTAINING A/C

Have you guys already tried this ????????????

I'm off to do so now and will report back results.

The full procedure is here:

http://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/2569/Secondary-air-monitor-will-not-run-2001-Chevy-Silverado-5-3L

Hope this F*#K!*G does the trick ............................................To Be Continued

Thanks for posting that et888. Can I ask where you ran across that piece of info that states to run the A/C as part of the drive cycle requirement to get the Secondary Air System to run? I ask that because I've floated that idea for almost a year and every tech or auto shop person thought I was nuts for suggesting that. My truck currently does not an A/C that actually cools. I can turn the A/C on at the dash, but the compressor doesn't turn on. About 18 months ago I noticed the effectiveness of the A/C was going away, so I suspect a small leak somewhere. I have not had it looked at, and in my experience finding a small A/C leak can get expensive quickly and since this truck isn't worth much being 15 years old, fixing the A/C has not been high on the priority list.

Any suggestions or info where you found the A/C info related to drive cycles would be appreciated. Good luck and keep us posted if that takes care of it for you.

Thanks for posting that et888. Can I ask where you ran across that piece of info that states to run the A/C as part of the drive cycle requirement to get the Secondary Air System to run? I ask that because I've floated that idea for almost a year and every tech or auto shop person thought I was nuts for suggesting that. My truck currently does not an A/C that actually cools. I can turn the A/C on at the dash, but the compressor doesn't turn on. About 18 months ago I noticed the effectiveness of the A/C was going away, so I suspect a small leak somewhere. I have not had it looked at, and in my experience finding a small A/C leak can get expensive quickly and since this truck isn't worth much being 15 years old, fixing the A/C has not been high on the priority list.

Any suggestions or info where you found the A/C info related to drive cycles would be appreciated. Good luck and keep us posted if that takes care of it for you.

Smogtips.com http://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/2569/Secondary-air-monitor-will-not-run-2001-Chevy-Silverado-5-3L

• 2 weeks later...

Oops. Had this problem on my 01 blazer. Took it to a mechanic that I was referred to and found out there is a software update for the computer. Had it updated and 2 all monitors set to ready except the evap. And I didn't have to do some weird drive cycle either.

• 1 month later...

Guys

I had the same problem with my 2001 Silverado 5.3. In California. What a pain...

After spending days and north of $100 at the shop running monitor checks and idle tests (to no avail), here's how I fixed it myself:

1. Disconnect the battery.

2. Change the plugs, wires, clean the Mass Air Flow Sensor, and clean or replace the air filter (everything in front of the injectors).

3. Add a bottle of Lucas Injector Cleaner to the tank.

4. Reconnect the battery.

5. Run the silly drive cycle a couple times with the tank about 1/2 full.

6. Then drive another 50-80 miles for good measure.

7. Say three Hail Mary's.

8. Check the scanner for a reading like "Test Complete"

I don't know which of these steps did the trick, but one of them worked!

ps - if your plugs are frozen stuck, use a product called Aero-Kroil. NAPA sells it behind the counter in Cali. It's like Liquid Wrench on crack.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So the thing I posted previously above that I found at http://www.smogtips.com/smog-question/2569/Secondary-air-monitor-will-not-run-2001-Chevy-Silverado-5-3L

did not work for me, but this past Saturday I had the check engine light come on which in this case that's a good thing because it means it finally ran and completed the monitor. Checked with the code reader and like has been the case for me for maybe 8-10 years p1416 secondary air inj 2nd bank. I cleared the codes and have been driving around a bit. If things go as they have in the past it will be ready to test pretty quick. I didn't do anything but drive ..........So I have no answers, Sorry

• 4 weeks later...

ET888 your problem might lie within the check valve on the right side of the engine (Bank 2).

I am currently having the monitor not resetting problem too.

Going to take on a little more lengthy drive. I have cleaned the 02 sensors, maf sensor, new cats, cleaned egr valve, cleaned all air pump components, replaced bank 2 check valve bank 1 was holding pressure so didn't feel the need to change it. truck runs great and pump only comes on for about 45 seconds but pumps very well and you can feel it sucking the air into the pump. mine too says atmosphere on the scanner. still not sure what that means but will update after lengthy test drive.

It's time for an update with my 2001 Silverado 4.8 problem. After 13 months, the Secondary Air System I/M Readiness test has FINALLY completed and run. Last month I broke down and had the A/C repaired as driving around with no A/C was getting old. A/C had leaked refrigerant at the charging port. ~$230 later and I have functioning A/C. I gave the truck a few weeks of driving with A/C on, and plugged in to check the Sec Air Sys I/M. As of last week, it was still showing Incomplete. Fast forward to yesterday....I plugged in again and the Sec Air Sys I/M Readiness test has FINALLY completed and gone to "OK."

Quick like today, first thing this morning....I went and had the smog check completed and ran to AAA so I finally have tags for the first time in over a year. I am making a leap here......but I DO think that the A/C being functional is one small part of the Secondary Air System running it's self test and flipping the I/M Readiness Status to OK.

I spoke to a friend that is a GM Tech and he told me there is a lot of strange code in the factory program that can make even a seasoned tech scratch their head when diagnosing problems. He wasn't certain that the A/C was linked to Sec Air Sys, but said there is a strong possibility that it was.

• 7 months later...

I read this thread with much interest, as I got into this issue after a P1781 code on my 2001 8.1L Sierra. As usual, Murphy strikes and the code showed up on the day I intended to take the truck in for Ca SMOG. After a bit of research, I found the P1781 code was related to an older, low voltage battery issue with the Allison transmission and that there had been a ECM update described in a TSB. A new battery fixed the base problem, but I was told that I could have no record of a code to pass the new (post mid-2015) CA rules and to clear the code and drive for a couple of days to set the tests. Only then did I find that everything went complete, except the secondary air. I have the original service manual and found the attached drive cycle. I also have inop AC due to probable leak in evaporator area, which is very expensive / difficult to fix. After about 10 drive cycles, turning everything I could on, turning the wheel back & forth to load the engine at cold start, etc. I still had no luck getting the monitor to pass. On investigating the secondary air system, the pump was like a shop vac, so there was no lack of air going in. However, the rubber hose part of the vac line going to the valve on the pump output was in bad shape (working, but degraded after 15 years) and easily replaced with much better 5/32 vac line. I then dismantled the rest of the system and found the check valve on one side was fine, but the other side had a slight "back crack" where it did not totally seal pressure coming from the exhaust manifold. I found Standard Brand AV56 check valves online (Rock & others) and Standard Brand VG222 gaskets, noting that nearly all parts for the 8.1L are no longer available from GM. The AV56 check valves are physically the same size, but (possibly because they are new) have a slight restriction on air flow from pump to manifold. Therefore, I replaced both OEM valves with some difficulty. As the pair of pipes to the left and right manifolds were not available, I had to cut the old valves off. I started by removing the valve assembly (bell shape) from the threaded section and then carefully cutting the threaded section attachment along the pipe until I could break it off the pipe without damage to the threads on the pipe. After cleaning as much crap on / in the pipes as I could, the new AV56 check valves were screwed on with some old aircraft anti-seize compound that I had. I also had to manually trim the VG222 gaskets with angle snips as they were larger than OEM and the bolt holes were not in the right place. After all that work, additional drive cycles still did not get the monitor to pass. At this point, into the local dealer for at least the ECM update for the original problem and hope that it might help with the monitor. The initial report from the dealer, actually very honest, was that there was nothing actually wrong with the mechanics and that they would perform some drive cycles with whatever they found from GM. In the end, they got the monitor to pass, without needing an AC fix, for $360 (reprogramming and the drive cycles). I did note that they used a half tank of gas and nearly 100 miles during their drive cycles. The 9/2/2016 CA Smog Check OBD Reference describes all the standard exceptions to the "all monitors must pass" requirement, with the Instruction to the Inspector of "Likely broken vehicle; Repair and Retest." All I could think of was welcome to crap from the Peoples Republic of California!!

• 1 year later...

SOLVED

I battled the secondary air not ready a few years ago in my own 2001 GMC Sierra 5.3L.   Did all the mechanical checks and drive cycles for over 2000 miles. 

ADD THIS TO YOUR DRIVING CYCLE, it worked for me.  Park next to the the highway or open road and turn the key off.  Start the engine, then immediately (while the secondary air pump is still running) get up to 60 MPH and hold for a couple minutes.  I saw mine become ready in under a minute.

The secondary air pump runs every time I start my vehicle for 30-60 seconds.  I recommend doing this before the engine is up to operating temp to ensure the air pump runs while getting up to speed.