That sensor thang inside my rear axle housing?

Hi all,

New poster here. I have a 2006 Chevy Suburban K1500 LT 5.3l flexfuel. I am rebuilding the rear axles, brakes, backing plate... Have it torn down to the axle housing openings and have pulled the seals and bearings. Something else came out... There is a splined cylinder in a metal ring with a plastic sort of spacer ring or something that came out when the bearing came out.

I tracked it down, and it is perhaps an ABS wheel sensor reluctor? There are front ABS sensors that everyone knows about and talks about. NO ONE seems to have ANY video or photos of these things inside the rear axle housing. My concern is that I think the little plastic spacer ring is busted. I pulled out a few small black plastic pieces from both sides, and it seems very brittle.

I actually found these replacement parts for sale for between $40 and $60 each (ouch!).

I just need someone who has installed these parts to tell me how to do it? Do they just push into the axle housing and await insertion of the axle shaft? Is there any trick to it? Don't want to push bearings in before I have clarity! I would hate to finish my repairs only to find something isn't working with the ABS system due to these rear sensor reluctors. Anyone with pics or video links would be my very favorite member on this forum!!!

Paul

Removal:

- Disconnect the electrical connector.

- Remove the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt.

- Release the wheel speed sensor wiring harness from the retainers.

- Remove the wheel speed sensor.

Install:

- Using a twisting motion, install the wheel speed sensor until fully seated.

- Install the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt.

- Tighten the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt to 13 Y (115 lb in).

- Connect the electrical connector.Install the wheel speed sensor wiring harness to the retainers.Perform a low speed test to ensure the wheel speed sensor is functioning properly.

- Start the engine and allow it to idle.

- Verify the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator remains illuminated.

- If the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator remains illuminated, DO NOT proceed to drive the vehicle until it is diagnosed and repaired. Check the wheel speed sensor electrical connector to ensure it is not damaged and is installed properly.

- Select a smooth, dry, clean, and level road or large lot that is as free of traffic and obstacles as possible.

- Drive the vehicle and maintain a speed of at least 16 km/h (10 mph) for at least 5 seconds.

- Stop the vehicle and check to see if the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator is illuminated.

Thanks for the response, but not what I was describing. Wish I had photos...

When I pull my rear axle shaft, and then remove the rear axle bearing seal, and use a bearing puller to pull the bearing from inside the axle housing... out comes a cylindrical non-metallic piece with a retainer ring and a plastic "spacer." Yeah, go figure. NOT A SINGLE photo or video showing this.

I found the part description:

RING. Electro - Hydraulic Control. Electronic Brake Control..

RING,WHL SPD SEN RELUCTOR(R/AXLE)(ACDelco #12479286). RING,WHL SPD SEN RELUCTOR(8.625 R/GR)(R/AXLE)(ACDelco #12479286)
Now, here is an e-bay ad with a picture...
$(KGrHqF,!lcFIUbwBF0uBSJmpLRVyg~~_35.JPG
I can not for the life of me find any descriptive words about replacing this part.
There is an electrical sensor on the OUTSIDE of the axel housing right about where this part would 'ride' inside the axle housing. The three videos on youtube that show axle bearing replacement never mention this to the extent that one would know how it installs PROPERLY...
Stopped dead in the water. Perhaps my local Chevy dealer could share some knowledge...
HawkPaul

post-144130-0-44244500-1432951951.jpg

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Ah. I've been there recently and due to some screwup I made I'm there again.

First my longish story is at  https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/new-rear-axle-bearings-and-seals.112658/

At some point one other person who had done it chimes in. He had found an installation tool on Ebay to do his. I skipped it. See that top line again...

My left rear wheel bearing went out in somewhat spectacular fashion. The only thing I can say good is the truck got me home from a 9 hour trip. Well, it should have been 9 but a trailer tire shredding late at night made it 13 hours but I digress.

If you clean and carefully examine the inside of the axle you'll find a step that the metal part of your reluctor seats against. There's another farther out for the bearing to seat against. I couldn't find any advice on installing that reluctor either beyond the advice from the other responder on my thread. I went at it without a proper bearing race and seal driver. Just walked a smaller socket around the edges as I drove it in. I'm betting that was my mistake. This time I'm getting the free loaner tool from O'Reilly's. Oh.

In that thread you'll see there are some oddities about that reluctor. It has to spin with the axle to work but there are no splines lumps, bumps, or other things about the axle to drive it. Instead it has some adhesive sorta stuff on it. In my case it took a good bit of driving to get it to stick. I don't know if there was a step I missed to prep it. Again, these things are mystery parts. At any rate several days later it got a hold on the axle and the light went out on my dash.

Good luck.

PatDTN

Edited by txab
fixed link

Did you ever figure out how to install that rear axle ABS Ring? Exact same thing happened to me and im not sure if its just a tap it in with the bearing installation tool or if i need to press it in somehow, also if theres a specific depth or if theres a stop in there....pls help

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2015 at 8:10 AM, newdude said:

Removal:

- Disconnect the electrical connector.

- Remove the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt.

- Release the wheel speed sensor wiring harness from the retainers.

- Remove the wheel speed sensor.

Install:

- Using a twisting motion, install the wheel speed sensor until fully seated.

- Install the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt.

- Tighten the wheel speed sensor retaining bolt to 13 Y (115 lb in).

- Connect the electrical connector.Install the wheel speed sensor wiring harness to the retainers.Perform a low speed test to ensure the wheel speed sensor is functioning properly.

- Start the engine and allow it to idle.

- Verify the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator remains illuminated.

- If the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator remains illuminated, DO NOT proceed to drive the vehicle until it is diagnosed and repaired. Check the wheel speed sensor electrical connector to ensure it is not damaged and is installed properly.

- Select a smooth, dry, clean, and level road or large lot that is as free of traffic and obstacles as possible.

- Drive the vehicle and maintain a speed of at least 16 km/h (10 mph) for at least 5 seconds.

- Stop the vehicle and check to see if the ABS indicator or the traction assist indicator is illuminated.

Ya I have learned the hard way. I just had to order another sensor. My mechanic said it was broke in half like it wasn’t inserted all the way. We are thinking a piece of the original sensor is still stuck in there

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have information on the referenced tool. I have an ABS Light on after installing the reluctor and new bearing. I can spin the reluctor rings from the ABS Sensor hole on that side. I am not sure if it is seated correctly. Initially had the ABS and Traction control sensors on then it went off for a brief period maybe 1 mile and now remaining on. Thanks in advance