GMC Factory Sound System (Non-Bose) not emitting certain frequencies o

So, I've noticed this issue ever since I got my truck and for a while there I thought I was crazy. For details sake, I own a 2014 GMC Sierra SLE, so non-Bose.

The problem appears when listening to music. The best example I can think of is when listening to Bohemian Rhapsody some parts of the chorus are not properly emitted through the speakers. The most glaring of them is in the intro chorus;

"Bohemian Rhapsody"

Open your eyes,
Look up to the skies and see,
I'm just a poor boy, I need no sympathy,
Because I'm easy come, easy go,
Little high, little low,
Anyway the wind blows doesn't really matter to me, to me.
When it hits the underlined part there are no lyrics emitted through the speakers, only the instrumentals are emitted. This happens several times through the song again towards the last segment. It also happens on various other tracks ranging from several different genres. This is just the most obvious one.
For reference all of this music is downloaded straight from iTunes, so its the non-DRM high-bit rate versions. This issue only happens through my truck speakers and not while listening through headphones or other devices. Music is being played back through the bluetooth but also happens via aux cable. Sound settings are set to factory with the sound stage set via dead center of the truck.
Does anyone else experience this? I can take a video and upload it to youtube but I'm sure it will be flagged due to the music.

I was curious about that part of the song so I just listed to it on my PC. It's about 38 seconds in. The lyrics "little high" comes through the left channel while "little low" comes through the right. Same results with my MP3 player and headphones.

I'm gonna try this in my truck tonight. Will let you know what I find.

Ok, curiousity got me, and I had to go dig up the MP3 to try out in my truck. Like gone_fishing, my MP3 is a 128kps copy, where "little high" comes out of the left speaker, and "little low" comes out of the right speaker. No playback issues in my truck.

Yay! Finally, an issue reported on the forums that my truck doesn't have!

So, I've noticed this issue ever since I got my truck and for a while there I thought I was crazy. For details sake, I own a 2014 GMC Sierra SLE, so non-Bose.

The problem appears when listening to music. The best example I can think of is when listening to Bohemian Rhapsody some parts of the chorus are not properly emitted through the speakers. The most glaring of them is in the intro chorus;

When it hits the underlined part there are no lyrics emitted through the speakers, only the instrumentals are emitted. This happens several times through the song again towards the last segment. It also happens on various other tracks ranging from several different genres. This is just the most obvious one.
For reference all of this music is downloaded straight from iTunes, so its the non-DRM high-bit rate versions. This issue only happens through my truck speakers and not while listening through headphones or other devices. Music is being played back through the bluetooth but also happens via aux cable. Sound settings are set to factory with the sound stage set via dead center of the truck.
Does anyone else experience this? I can take a video and upload it to youtube but I'm sure it will be flagged due to the music.

Dude I hate to say this but you have blown speakers. This happened in my 2007 Silverado and is a notorious problem for GM vehicles without Bose systems. In fact I expect my speakers to go out eventually on my 2014 as well. I noticed it on my 2007 after I had bought the Beatles Remastered collection and it was such a good deal off Amazon that at first I thought I got ripped off and the CD's were messed up or from Russia or something. After trial and error with other vehicles, I eventually found out that the speaker in my passenger door wasn't working so the parts of the songs that are on the "right" channel weren't being heard. Eventually the driver door speaker went too. The dealer wanted $118 per speaker to replace them since it was out of warranty and I basically told them "eff that I'm not paying that much money for crap that will likely blow again." I went to an aftermarket audio place and put in some Focals which were incredible. When I sold the truck, the Focals were still working great but the rear door speakers had blown as well. To recap....all stock factory speakers were blown by 98,000 miles. The fronts went out at 40,000 miles.

Anyway if your truck is under warranty I say take the free repair. But if you have to pay for it, go to a car audio place and get aftermarket speakers.

I was curious about that part of the song so I just listed to it on my PC. It's about 38 seconds in. The lyrics "little high" comes through the left channel while "little low" comes through the right. Same results with my MP3 player and headphones.

I'm gonna try this in my truck tonight. Will let you know what I find.

Update: Played same song with same results in my truck as on my PC. This was through both my iPod (USB) and FiiO MP3 player (line out).

Archived