Blackbear tune on a 2014 5.3 / 3.42 to improve towing performance.

Hey guys,

I just bought a travel trailer with a dry weight of 5500 lbs. I've only taken it for a short test tow so far, and it's the only thing I have ever towed. I expected it to pull a bit better, but maybe that's just how it is.

So far my truck just has a flo pro muffler. Also added a K&N intake, that makes more noise than anything, and I swear reduced power. Think I'm gonna put the factory box back on.

My question is, will a Blackbear tune improve towing enough to risk losing warranty? Or should I just suck it up for now. He has done my last two trucks with great results, but GM sounds like they won't be overlooking tunes, in the event of a critical failure.

Anyone have experience with before and after results?

VMaxtastic, I have the 5.3 with 3.42s, a K&N CAI, and a BBear tune, and can give you my opinion of this setup.

I also have a Outback 250rs, that's about 6300lb dry.

I'll try to write up a longer post tonight however you can also feel free to give me a call on my cell as I'm currently driving across the state of Texas and will be in the car for several hours:

VMaxtastic, I have the 5.3 with 3.42s, a K&N CAI, and a BBear tune, and can give you my opinion of this setup.

I'll try to write up a longer post tonight however you can also feel free to give me a call on my cell as I'm currently driving across the state of Texas and will be in the car for several hours:

I would be interested to hear your opinion on this set up. Been going back and forth and BBear tune for awhile now.

If performance while towing is the priority, it needs to be a Max Tow so it will have the 3.73's, tow mirrors, enhanced cooling, larger rear diff and upgraded rear suspension.

I dont tow much weight but I too plan on getting a Blackbear Tune very so "Still waiting on my BACK-OrderED Dynamax Cat-Back" From Summit Racing.. I already installed my K&N CAI its noisy without the exhaust to even out the sound but did seem to improve my gas mileage, in my last 14 the exhaust took away the MPG gain that the CAI added. Iam going with the $600 EFI Live Tuner, I may do another vehicle later. My question is that will it help the sluggishness down low or just cruising around? My truck rarely sees more than 3000 RPM but here lately Ive touched 5K a time or 2 for a few seconds on fresh oil. Iam excited to get this tune soon after I get that exhaust, their saying 6/24 now so the time may be near.

I dont tow much weight but I too plan on getting a Blackbear Tune very so "Still waiting on my BACK-OrderED Dynamax Cat-Back" From Summit Racing.. I already installed my K&N CAI its noisy without the exhaust to even out the sound but did seem to improve my gas mileage, in my last 14 the exhaust took away the MPG gain that the CAI added. Iam going with the $600 EFI Live Tuner, I may do another vehicle later. My question is that will it help the sluggishness down low or just cruising around? My truck rarely sees more than 3000 RPM but here lately Ive touched 5K a time or 2 for a few seconds on fresh oil. Iam excited to get this tune soon after I get that exhaust, their saying 6/24 now so the time may be near.

The BB tune will tremendously improve power under 3k rpm by removing most of the torque management. Shifts will be better and transmission will not hunt for gears. I've towed a couple of times since I got the tune, probably around 5k lbs and its been great. Great power off the line and vastly improved passing power. I have similar upgrades as you. You will like his tune.

• Like 1

A good tune can be a great help for towing. A bit more power and better throttle response is nice, but the biggest differences I found were in fixing the shift points in tow/haul mode and cooling.

The shift points in tow/haul mode are a disaster for the 6-Speed from the factory--to the point many people don't use it when towing. That's too bad because tow/haul mode also gives you more aggressive grade braking which is really nice. I'm sure Black Bear will give you details on what they change but I'd guess they change many of the same things I did.

For cooling, the fans can be turned on much more aggressively. With the stock tune they're not on full speed until your engine is at 244 degrees. That's way to hot for most people to feel comfortable--especially in the middle of nowhere with your family in the truck. Turning the fans on more aggressively will give you much more breathing room. If you combine that with a 180 degree thermostat you can turn them on even sooner and harder. The fans don't only cool your coolant, they also are responsible for cooling your engine oil and transmission fluid. Keeping them on at a higher average speed when towing up hills in the summer helps the truck a lot.

I noticed you have a 623 number, are you in AZ? I also live in AZ and tow up 8-9k going north frequently in the summer and absolutely hate the way the temp rises on the truck and the shift points on stock.

Very interested to hear about your results on the tune.

Hey guys,

I just bought a travel trailer with a dry weight of 5500 lbs. I've only taken it for a short test tow so far, and it's the only thing I have ever towed. I expected it to pull a bit better, but maybe that's just how it is.

So far my truck just has a flo pro muffler. Also added a K&N intake, that makes more noise than anything, and I swear reduced power. Think I'm gonna put the factory box back on.

My question is, will a Blackbear tune improve towing enough to risk losing warranty? Or should I just suck it up for now. He has done my last two trucks with great results, but GM sounds like they won't be overlooking tunes, in the event of a critical failure.

Anyone have experience with before and after results?

Most of our customers have not had an issue with the factory shift patterns in tow/haul mode when all else is considered. We will certainly make changes for individuals that have concerns in tow/haul mode, but it is not a regular thing.

We do not recommend a lower temperature thermostat, as all of our dyno testing over the years has shown greater power output with coolants temps of 230 than 200. We don't advise running at 230* due to being closer to the boil over point, but also do not advise running cooler than stock due to that.
Fan operation is bumped up in most cases, but is only relevant at slow speeds, as more air is pushed through the radiator above ~40mph than the fans can draw; the ECM shuts the fans off at higher speeds due to this. Higher fan speeds also rob power, due to the initial draw on the alternator.
  • Like 1

Most of our customers have not had an issue with the factory shift patterns in tow/haul mode when all else is considered. We will certainly make changes for individuals that have concerns in tow/haul mode, but it is not a regular thing.

We do not recommend a lower temperature thermostat, as all of our dyno testing over the years has shown greater power output with coolants temps of 230 than 200. We don't advise running at 230* due to being closer to the boil over point, but also do not advise running cooler than stock due to that.
Fan operation is bumped up in most cases, but is only relevant at slow speeds, as more air is pushed through the radiator above ~40mph than the fans can draw; the ECM shuts the fans off at higher speeds due to this. Higher fan speeds also rob power, due to the initial draw on the alternator.

This is good to hear about the thermostat.

I will be working on my tune here hopefully this weekend and will be bumping the fans to kick on pretty early, my truck seems to heat up very fast on even smallish hills when towing. I have now recently added a light bar to the inside of my grill that blocks some of the air flow so I'll really need the fans to be on sooner than later.

When you do make changes to the tow/haul mode shift points what do you do? I am trying to decide if I'm going to change anything in there but don't want to stress my tranny either.