Where did GM get the design for the diesel engine?

Well, I was motivated to think that the 2.8L Dmax primarily came out of the VM diesel platform 2.8L based on the details I was seeing in the new motor. Well, it seems that is the case. The chief designer for the 2.8L Dmax started on the project while he was at VM Motori when GM had 50% stake in that company. So, the 2.8L Dmax is indeed a motor that is based on the VM 2.8L and not some GM/Izusu collaboration....

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/1511-interview-nicola-menarini-global-program-manager-and-chief-engineer-gm-duramax-2-8l/

• 2 months later...

GM has a diesel in the plans for their 1500, as does Ford. Pay attention in 18 for ford and 19 for GM.

I wonder what diesel motor GM will use, the up to date 4.5 V8 or a new V6 ?

If they stay around 3L size, they should just increase the displacement a little on the 2.8L they already are using instead of going to a V6. Save on R&D and production costs and offer similar torque as the 6.2L gasser while delivering all of it at half the RPM. In the interest of full disclosure, I don't care for V diesels no matter who makes them. I prefer inlines. If GM goes the V6 route, I wouldn't ever give it a second look. Which means they probably will.

I wonder what diesel motor GM will use, the up to date 4.5 V8 or a new V6 ?

With fuel prices at an all time low is be willing to bet the diesel plans are shelved for now.

That's possible. American OEM's and not just GM have been dicking around and procrastinating broadening the diesel lineups here while the rest of the world has moved on. American OEM's have no problem putting a diesel version of just about every vehicle they make for outside N America, but God forbid they actually give us those same options. I have been pitching a fit about this for years. Even before the diesel emissions nonsense came along.

I like how the article stated that all large commercial fleets are on diesel. Sure would be a surprise to me. I cover almost 3000 miles a week driving my semi truck, I see a lot of pickups going up and down the road. I have done my own little un-scientific surveys of pickups I have seen, especially fleet pickups like utility companies, agriculture cooperatives, railroads, state and local government fleets, etc and it is clearly a gas to diesel ratio of 3 to 1 across the board. Similar for many individual owners. There are many variables why fleets and folks buy diesel or gas. A diesel F150 or a diesel 1500 would sell, but not at the numbers that the Truck Trend article suggests. I would guess it would be a similar ratio like we see between the 6.2L gasser and the other gas engines in the 1500.

Archived