2014 Silverado Regear Options - 3.73 or 4.10

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the feedback. I have a possible alternate scenario as well, due to the fact that the 4" BDS doesn't fit a 35" tire on an 18" wheel due to backspacing issues (at least that's what they say). I am not too found of 20" wheels for my particular taste, maybe I'd have to see it on my truck first.

So I'll either need to get a 6" lift to support the 35's and 18" wheels or go down to a 2.5" level and 33x12.50x18. For the latter option, I would still want to regear because I think my truck is sluggish as is with the 3.08. I'm guessing the 3.73 would do the trick.

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the feedback. I have a possible alternate scenario as well, due to the fact that the 4" BDS doesn't fit a 35" tire on an 18" wheel due to backspacing issues (at least that's what they say). I am not too found of 20" wheels for my particular taste, maybe I'd have to see it on my truck first.

So I'll either need to get a 6" lift to support the 35's and 18" wheels or go down to a 2.5" level and 33x12.50x18. For the latter option, I would still want to regear because I think my truck is sluggish as is with the 3.08. I'm guessing the 3.73 would do the trick.

1jeds what size tire did your truck come with?

The factory tires on the 20s is a 31.9" tire. 4.10s seem to be a big jump for such a small tire change.

You have to remember that its not just adding weight to the truck. But its also more weight that has to be rotated. For example my truck came with SR-A's that weigh 39.5lbs my new tires weigh in at 76lbs. I have 3.42's but can definitely see where 4.10's would be perfect.

Mine came with the 265/65/18 or 31.6" tires. I'm also looking to add a little more pep in the truck, in addition to supporting a larger tire.

As mentioned above, I'm leaning towards a level and 33x12.50x18 now just for practicality reasons in the future, would the 3.73 be good or still stick with the 4.10? I'm regearing regardless, it's just a matter of the proper ratio at this point. I tried to find an RPM calculator to compare the 3.73 vs 4.10 but wasn't successful with our 6 speed transmission.

I've searched the crap out of the internet to try and make a decision, but it's tough to compare 4spd vs 6spd with our particular engines, etc.

You have to remember that its not just adding weight to the truck. But its also more weight that has to be rotated. For example my truck came with SR-A's that weigh 39.5lbs my new tires weigh in at 76lbs. I have 3.42's but can definitely see where 4.10's would be perfect.

That rotating weight is also known as centrifugal weight and is just as bad if not worse

Even if you've decided to run a small lift and 33's, I'd still run the 4:10's. 3:42's seem too high (numerically low) for me...even with stock tires. It will drive great with 4:10's and 33's...and will hold 6th gear on the highway. Heck, I wish I had 4:10's with my 32" tires, haha. If you decide on the taller lift and 35's, I'd seriously consider 4:56's.

One thing that has to be realized is the larger the tire the higher the effectove gear ratio. Go from stock 275/55R20 tires and a 3.42 to a 33" tire, you can basically equate that to something like just changing your gearing to a 3.23 with stock tires. Going to a smaller tire has the opposite effect as well. Going from a stock 32" to like a 30" will bump the effective ratio lower(numerically higher)

At least 4.10 gears, I would be getting 4.56 gears myself as the engine is going to need the rpm to over come all the air and tires it now has to push.

That was the initial recommendation by the custom shop, but with the supercharger also installed and towing at 80 mph, we thought it would be better suited with 4.10s.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looks like I'll go with the 4.10 and see how I like the 33's initially, and that will put me in position to go a little bigger if I choose down the road. Don't fear the gear!

• 1 year later...

I know this is a year old thread but this has me thinking. We just upgraded to a travel trailer that has a dry weight of 6600lbs. My wife has already mentioned eventually upgrading to a 3/4 ton but that is years away since we owe so much on my truck now. :)

I have a 2015 Sierra SLE 2wd with the 5.3l, 3.42 gears, and the factory 20" rims. It does have the tow package on it giving it an effective 9500lb tow rating. We drove our new trailer home last night and I can tell you the truck struggled maintaining 60-65 on inclines in the road but would maintain 65-70 on flat stretches. How much of an improvement would going from the 3.42 to 4.10 gears give me? How much of an MPG hit would I take? We tow an average 1-2 times a month on weekends.

Archived