Chevy confirms 2016 Suburban HD with new engine for fleets

Gorehamj

Suburban fleet.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6/22/2015

The General Motors order book has been updated, and we noticed the addition of the 2016 Suburban 3500HD. Only a 4x4 is listed. This is a vehicle many have been watching for as it was seen in testing in past months. According to the book, the vehicle is for fleets only, and there is no indication as of yet that it will be added to the Suburban lineup for private sales.

The most obvious change to the Suburban HD vs. the conventional Suburban is the new L96, 6-liter engine. This V8 is not part of the current Suburban/Yukon line (the GMC Yukon uses a 5.3 and Denalis use a 6.2). The GVWR is shown as 11,000 pounds in the basic specifications shown in the order guide.

Everything one would expect seems to be available in the two trims offered, 1LS and 1LT. Auto-leveling suspension, passive entry, passive start, an enhanced vehicle safety system, hands-free power liftgate, a 110v power outlet (three prong), and fold flat rear seats with power option are notable practicality features. Like the private sale version of the Suburban, forward collision warning with haptic feedback, lane departure warning, and rear cross traffic alert are optional. The full complement of infotainment options also seem to be included (Sat Rad, Pandora via Bluetooth, etc.)

The wheels are LT265/70R17E all-terrain, blackwall and there is a full-size spare on a steel rim.

Note - Image is a 2015 Commercial Suburban.

Suburban fleet.jpg

Suburban fleet.jpg

Suburban fleet.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't that the Vortec 6.0L that is in the HD Silverado/Sierra as C/K Man stated?

Yes. They mean it is new for that platform of Suburbans.

Not sure why you consider that motor junk, it is one of the most reliable engines GM has ever put in the HD platform.

Yeah, based on my experiences, those and the related 6.0 engines were bullet proof.

The 6.0 may be considered underpowered but by no means is it junk... its virtually indestructible. ..ive got 221k on mine... no oil leaks no issues at all.. only thing its ever had done is a tensioner and throttle body

MAN I HOPE NOT. I WISH THEY WOULD DO AWAY WITH THAT MOTOR, IT'S JUNK.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

How can you say that? i have one in my 2004 GMC with 257K and never had any thing go bad on the truck.

I have had several in my fleet for years, and Imo and experience. I personally don't care for them, and have got rid of them for various reasons.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Does this model still have the receiver integrated into the bumper...to then be required to be part of the crumple zone...then with the stress raisers for that crumple zone duty...limit the tongue weight to 1,000 lbs?

If so, then not much of an 11,000 GVWR truck...just a high payload SUV and not rated to tow heavy...

They should have supercharged the 5.3 and gotten 115hp & 110ftlbs on top of stock. I did with my '06 Z71 Silverado and have no problems towing except for mileage. I did it when it was new and have had no problem. I agree with Cap'n Hook, need to put a diesel in it. I will buy one for towing.

Archived