Difference between 4WD knob and lever?

Hey guys,

I'm noticing that the WT and LS trim lines have a floor lever to engage the 4WD system, while the higher trims all have knobs.

I was just wondering what the differences are between the two. With the lever, can you still change on the fly, or do you need to be stopped (or in neutral)? Any other pro's/con's between these two systems?

I've been wanting an LT, but with my tight budget it's looking like a WT or LS model is more feasible for me if I want to go new. I'm just looking into what I'd be sacrificing if I went for one of those lower trim lines.

Thanks.

Both are on the fly systems. Manual lever is lever to linkage to transfer case setup. You move the lever, it engages 4X4 in the transfer case. Electronic shift, knob is the switch, signals to the transfer case control module, in turn tells the transfer case actuator (encoder motor) to engage the transfer case. The front axle is electronically actuated on both systems.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 2

Everything after wt is just more comfort and convenience. If your money is tight, I would suggest you wait until the end of the year and wait for someone trading in a '14. Someone is leasing a '14 for two years and will trade it in for a newer one at the end of the year.

To get the knob you have to jump to the LT or higher trims levels. That cost alone is about $3,000 plus or minus but you do get some additional accessories. Just not worth it for me. I prefer to have the that money on my next purchase when I trade in the truck.

As I said, I've been wanting an LT but it just seems like WT or LS is more in line with my budget. I don't really care about most of the creature comforts, although the larger radio LED screen on the LT's is certainly very pretty.

Unfortunately it's usually slim pickings at my local dealers for the WT or LS trim lines....especially since I want the 5.3 instead of the 4.6.

I'll keep an eye on what's available on the used market, as well.

As I said, I've been wanting an LT but it just seems like WT or LS is more in line with my budget. I don't really care about most of the creature comforts, although the larger radio LED screen on the LT's is certainly very pretty.

Unfortunately it's usually slim pickings at my local dealers for the WT or LS trim lines....especially since I want the 5.3 instead of the 4.6.

I'll keep an eye on what's available on the used market, as well.

You can almost always get a LT with All Star package for just slightly more that a WT if you buy when the rebates are high.

10 years ago or so, I had the choice and glad I went with SLE with options but floor shift 4wd as most people I knew with similar year electronic 4wd on dash had issues. Today, I think it is more refined and especially on other brands which offer diff. lock. My older GMC was on the fly, except one harsh shift to 4L which destroyed the front axle.

Edited by COP TZR

I still prefer to shift on the floor. It engages much faster that way. I have been taking trucks off road for my job for almost 20 years and I still reach down to the floor to try to go into 4wd even though I have been in my latest work truck with the knob shift 4wd for almost 3 years!

have you driven a V6? You might be surprised.

While I like the general feel of the power from the V6, my impression is that the V8 is overall much quieter. My truck is a V8 and I had an identical truck as a loaner with the V6 for a day when mine was getting warranty work done. There was a noticeable increase in cabin noise in the V6 model.

Additionally, if you drive a lot on the highway (75% or more of your miles), the V8 will likely give you better overall mileage. The V6 is much better around town, but it works harder at highway speeds (real speeds that many drive at, not posted limits necessarily) or if you tend to have your foot in it a lot.

• 4 years later...

I don't know about the 1500's, but the 2500's don't have a transfer case computer for manual TC's.  Supposedly the engine & transmission computers are informed when you switch to 4Lo (and possibly 4wd as well), to change torque management.

When I upgraded my truck to 4wd using an '06 2500 donor truck, it just had a wiring harness that I connected up to the transfer case, transmission wiring harness (for the output speed sensor in the TC), the actuator in the front diff, a ground, and a plug inside the engine compartment's fuse box.

So you are looking at a 2019? They should have some good incentives then right now. You could also look for a 2019 LD Custom (old body style). Our dealer got 5 in and they were all priced at least $10k less than a comparable LS or WT trim T1 truck. Or wait till after the new year, they will offer big discounts on left over 19's.