2015 silverado OEM trailer brake controller

I have just installed the optional chevy brake controller #22822675. It took about 20 min. to install it. There were no instructions with it (normal). There was a harness with plug at the rear of the original light panel that was taped off. I found that it matched the receptacle on the rear of the brake controller and the colors of the wires were the same as the harness for an aftermarket controller. I do not have my trailer available to see if it works. Nothing happens in the information center. Is there something else that needs to be connected?

• Confused 1

That part number comes up as the whole left-side panel with the controller's...um..controls. My understanding, per threads in this forum and what I was told when I ordered the truck, is it isn't "plug and play" if I wanted to add it later. While it can plug in, there's other stuff needed, including a different computer flash to support it.

See http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173181-factory-brake-controller-after-the-fact-with-tow-pkg/.

That part number comes up as the whole left-side panel with the controller's...um..controls. My understanding, per threads in this forum and what I was told when I ordered the truck, is it isn't "plug and play" if I wanted to add it later. While it can plug in, there's other stuff needed, including a different computer flash to support it.

See http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/173181-factory-brake-controller-after-the-fact-with-tow-pkg/.

You need to run, not walk from your dealer as they are clueless. As just stated GM sent out a bulletin on this very issue right after the 2014 (K2xx) trucks came out, if the truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller it CANT be added after the fact. There is no way to add the dash controller you are talking about into the truck or program it to work.

GM will supply the pigtail harness that will allow you to run an aftermarket brake controller, you need to speak to the dealer or the parts department in order to get the pigtail.

• Sad 1

You need to run, not walk from your dealer as they are clueless. As just stated GM sent out a bulletin on this very issue right after the 2014 (K2xx) trucks came out, if the truck did not come with the factory trailer brake controller it CANT be added after the fact. There is no way to add the dash controller you are talking about into the truck or program it to work.

GM will supply the pigtail harness that will allow you to run an aftermarket brake controller, you need to speak to the dealer or the parts department in order to get the pigtail.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my response. When I went to order my truck, I asked if I could add the controller in later if I needed it. They said no, it wasn't something you just dropped in, as there was all kinds of parts that part of the system, including different software. So I sprung for the $230 right then in case I needed it. That, and I didn't want a blank area. I like buttons.

I have just installed the optional chevy brake controller #22822675. It took about 20 min. to install it. There were no instructions with it (normal). There was a harness with plug at the rear of the original light panel that was taped off. I found that it matched the receptacle on the rear of the brake controller and the colors of the wires were the same as the harness for an aftermarket controller. I do not have my trailer available to see if it works. Nothing happens in the information center. Is there something else that needs to be connected?

If what you're saying is that you purchased the panel with the switch, you wasted your money so I hope it didn't cost much.

Unless you're truck came with the GM brake controller out of the assembly plant, the only way to get trailer brakes is to buy an aftermarket controller.

The GM integrated brake control is only an option on the build sheet, it can not be added to a truck after the fact.

The part you bought is for the switch assembly only, it will not make you have trailer brakes.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

I forsee that truck being sold used to a buyer that thinks it has the integrated trailer brake....only to later find out the hard way that it doesnt..... better check RPO codes when buying used....

I do appreciate that you are trying this. Maybe computer reflash next? I eventually added cruise to my 07 when it was thought it could not be done....

Edited by EXSlider400

OP I'd take that out because it is useless without any of the correct modules. Trailer brake module is not there, relay, and I think the BCM is different. A big ??? if the wiring for the trailer brake module is even in the chassis harness, if not, then the chassis harness is different.

GM says a big fat NO to installing a factory brake controller. Trucks not built with it, you have to find your choice of aftermarket brake controller and use the supplied blunt cut harness that plugs in. GM does offer a controller made by Curt as well.

• 2 years later...
On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 11:40 AM, Walt Reynolds said:

Walt, did this ever work out for you? I am dealing with an identical issue.  I have a 2014 GMC Sierra that did not come with an integrated brake control assembly at the left side of the steering wheel column. BUT, I do have the 7 prong trailer connector at the bumper with the tow package. I've been towing without brakes with my horse trailer just around town.  I removed the panel and there is a wire harness/plug. I purchased the new control assembly 22822675 (Picture attached) but now I need to find out about the update for the Intellilink software to recognize the trailer gain control option and view.  There is not option to add it in the Settings/Info area.  Called GMC and ACDelco with no luck.

Any advise/thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

ACDelco22822675.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 2:02 PM, tbarn said:

Never gonna work per GM bulletin.

If it's never intended to work, howcome when I removed the old panel, there was a wire harness/plug ready to plug in?  There must be a way to use this.  Help?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2015 at 5:46 PM, TJay74 said:

Hi, I see the harness plug there when I removed the panel, I too purchased the ACDelco 22822675 part and of course it doesn't work.  UGH!!  Do you have any recommendations for what aftermarket part will work best with this?

When I hit the trailer brake lock up it comes across the DIC and shows the gain output so it’s def tied into something program wise somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to program your body control module, and probably add all harnesses required for it. I too added the oem TBS on a new dashboard trim and nothing happen, honestly I wasn’t surprised I just hated the cubby it only collected trash and dirt., I tap the + and - from my headlight switch control to illuminate at the same time as all my automated night dashboard lights. It worth for me cosmetically, as far as functional there’s a lot involve that I don’t think is worth it for me since I don’t tow that kind of trailers other than a 12x6 enclosed trailer and. 10x6 utility trailer for my remodeling business. Beside my 5.3 has enough towing and handling power. Personal opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk