Radio Volume Issues

One time while I was jump starting a tractor from my truck my radio shot to full volume and kept returning to full volume immediately after I turned it down.  Restarting the truck didn't help.  Disconnecting the battery fixed it.  I attributed it to the voltage being thrown off when I was connecting or disconnecting the jumper cables.

4 hours ago, ram1067 said:

doubt it......

Don't know it the truck we are discussing has the wheel buttons, and don't know if it is the problem, but there are discussions about wheel button problems on other forums...

• 1 month later...

Got the same problem with my 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 this evening - the radio volume went up to full volume be itself (same as "ram1067"). The mute function only worked once. The power off function works (i.e., it turns the radio off) but just temporarily. Turning the ignition and opening the driver side door does not help. The high volume makes the truck undrivable.

... appreciate a solution.

Edited by nordiskskier
added text to clarify.

• 6 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 6:24 AM, ram1067 said:

Well i fired up the truck this morning and my radio was as high as it would go. I turned the knob down quickly and it went down but then right back up........

WTF i could only mute it. Is there a fix for this? truck going in soon for first service.

That happened to me today!    Any update on how to fix this issue? 

• 4 weeks later...
Well i fired up the truck this morning and my radio was as high as it would go. I turned the knob down quickly and it went down but then right back up........
WTF i could only mute it. Is there a fix for this? truck going in soon for first service.
This happened to me today. Wtf!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

I just had this issue occur this morning. There's some theory elsewhere (other GM car forums) that it has something to do with the auto-volume feature, specifically when the heater turns on very high in the vehicle (maybe that it causes the media system to think engine is going very fast and needs to compensate with the volume. This could make sense as for me it happened when it was very cold out, but there have been other days this week that have been colder where this issue was not present.

I was under the impression that the auto-volume feature was an adjustment behind the scenes, so it wouldn't manifest as if the volume were being increased manually (i.e., the volume bar displays and cannot be overridden). This makes me think that it is not auto-volume related.

It almost looks like there's some external input (e.g., a Bluetooth connected phone controlling the volume of the radio by accident?). I think it might have something to do with ice buildup or moisture.

• 2 weeks later...
I just had this issue occur this morning. There's some theory elsewhere (other GM car forums) that it has something to do with the auto-volume feature, specifically when the heater turns on very high in the vehicle (maybe that it causes the media system to think engine is going very fast and needs to compensate with the volume. This could make sense as for me it happened when it was very cold out, but there have been other days this week that have been colder where this issue was not present.

I was under the impression that the auto-volume feature was an adjustment behind the scenes, so it wouldn't manifest as if the volume were being increased manually (i.e., the volume bar displays and cannot be overridden). This makes me think that it is not auto-volume related.

It almost looks like there's some external input (e.g., a Bluetooth connected phone controlling the volume of the radio by accident?). I think it might have something to do with ice buildup or moisture.
Told my dealer about this at my last visit. They replaced some mystery module 84156701 under warranty. We'll see if it happens again.

This has happened on 2 occasions with my 15' 3500, both times after I had all the doors open for an extended period of time. I had vacuumed an detailed the interior, when finished I

hopped in and started the truck to move it away from the garage and the radio was at full volume.  I assumed I turned it up when cleaning the dash/radio but as fast as I

could turn the knob the the radio volume and volume indicator would climb back to full, turn the key remove and open the door and it turned off. Key back in and on and it was back

to normal.

After that I was very careful detailing the truck around the radio, and it  didn't have the issue for maybe a year, and a few cleanings.

Most recently it happened again after interior detailing, this time I couldn't get it to turn off, key out of the ignition drivers door open. I tried Mute, volume on the steering wheel volume 

knob and changing the radio station. It would not stay below full volume, it lasted long enough that I played with every button and turned the key on and off started the eng. stopped

the eng.  and finally went to get tools to disconnect the battery and it stopped when I was walking away, key out and drivers door open. I was terrified driving it for a long time,

wondering when or where id be when the radio would come on full bore. Its been about 6 months without issues.

I really hope m3n00b's dealer is onto something. 

This has happened on 2 occasions with my 15' 3500, both times after I had all the doors open for an extended period of time. I had vacuumed an detailed the interior, when finished I

hopped in and started the truck to move it away from the garage and the radio was at full volume.  I assumed I turned it up when cleaning the dash/radio but as fast as I

could turn the knob the the radio volume and volume indicator would climb back to full, turn the key remove and open the door and it turned off. Key back in and on and it was back

to normal.

After that I was very careful detailing the truck around the radio, and it  didn't have the issue for maybe a year, and a few cleanings.

Most recently it happened again after interior detailing, this time I couldn't get it to turn off, key out of the ignition drivers door open. I tried Mute, volume on the steering wheel volume 

knob and changing the radio station. It would not stay below full volume, it lasted long enough that I played with every button and turned the key on and off started the eng. stopped

the eng.  and finally went to get tools to disconnect the battery and it stopped when I was walking away, key out and drivers door open. I was terrified driving it for a long time,

wondering when or where id be when the radio would come on full bore. Its been about 6 months without issues.

I really hope m3n00b's dealer is onto something. 

Next time it happens try holding the power button down on the head unit. That was the only way I could turn it off.

• 6 months later...

Well, yesterday after driving my 2015 Sierra here and there most of the day I parked to take the dog for her walk. 30 min later I  started it up to cool it off and the radio was full blast, fortunately the dog was still outside. Turned down the volume and it would go right back up again. Radio continued to work with the key out and the door open, I pushed every button at least twice.  Not sure what I did but finally got it off. Now with the dog in the truck all the time I'm afraid to turn the radio on at all. Who knows where/when it will happen again. I called the dealer and he wants to look to see if any codes are present. Other than that  ?.  My appointment is Friday I'll report back what the dealer did. Never in 35 years of driving have I ever witnessed something like this.  Is this a 1 time thing, or has this happened to others multiple times. I'm mostly concerned for my dog..

• 1 month later...