In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
R-D

the case of the missing coolant

After I parked the truck last week the fan stayed on quite a bit longer than normal after the truck was off, I didn't think a whole lot of it at the time, but a couple days ago I got a "over temperature idle engine" warning on the DIC and watched the temperature go back and forth from dead center to max a couple times.

Looked at the reservoir and there was no coolant visible at all. Ran to the store in our other vehicle and bought 2 gallons of coolant. It took the full first jug and a bit from the second to bring it up to the full cold mark.

I couldn't see anywhere it would be leaking from - and I've had no pool on the driveway - but there was a definite coolant smell in the engine bay. The only thing I noticed was the visible corner of the rad that you can see (driver side) there was white residue along the top edge, not 100% sure if this is coolant or not but I suspect it may be.

KtxgdqCl.jpg

Have an appointment for the Onstar module replacement (2G to 4G) next week so will ask them to look into it then, until then I'll keep checking and topping it off.

Isn't this one of those things that can void your warranty if you know there is something going on and don't take it in immediately? (kind of like driving with no oil) I would take it in immediately or stop driving it till you can

I had my rad replaced under warranty. Leaking from the pass side of rad. No puddles. Just a strong coolant smell if you're in front of truck

The fans keep running on these trucks even with the key off??

Have you checked your oil level? If coolant were somehow getting into the engine the oil will appear milky.

yes the fans can run with key off, the ECM/BCM controls the fan function even with no key on.

I would check the oil, if it is clean then there has to be a leak in the system somewhere. Dealer will find it and correct it.

Isn't this one of those things that can void your warranty if you know there is something going on and don't take it in immediately? (kind of like driving with no oil) I would take it in immediately or stop driving it till you can

Its a slow leak and I've topped off the reservoir regularly since I've noticed. The dealer actually noticed it was low and topped it off during my last oil change as well I recalled last night. Short of intentionally running with no coolant in the system or continuing to drive if overheating I couldn't see how they could possibly deny any warranty on this type of issue for waiting a few days until an already scheduled appointment.

The fans keep running on these trucks even with the key off??

Yes the fan can continue running with the key out/ignition off until the cooling system is at a sufficient temperature to turn off.

Have you checked your oil level? If coolant were somehow getting into the engine the oil will appear milky.

Yes check your oil now.

Thats one of the first things I checked, the oil was full and clear still (recent oil change).

I spotted a couple other posts on the forums here about rads needing replacement, will see if mine is the same issue.

Thanks.

Its a slow leak and I've topped off the reservoir regularly since I've noticed. The dealer actually noticed it was low and topped it off during my last oil change as well I recalled last night.

Pretty darn simple to pressure test the system. When I had missing coolant with my 2000 Tahoe, I would only notice the visible leak when I put it under pressure (then the drips started at the water pump) and of course it wouldn't hold pressure.

Dealership pressure tested mine, no leak found. Fast forward three weeks...they comment...you had a pretty big coolant leak...

No shit i told you that last time...

If you get a good service advisor...just use him or her. I slam them in the ratings too.

Radiator was replaced today, will pick it up tomorrow. Was told they've had a number of problems with the rad leaking on the '14s and the new one is a different part number so sounds like something has changed on it.

Yes the factory rads are famous for splitting near the top and coolant seeping out. I've been running this way for probably 30k already.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By RussellD
      I have a 1999 s10 blazer with a 4.3 motor i'm putting in a 2002 4.3 motor and the crank sensor whole is different what can i do? Are there any other differences i know about as well?
    • By Whiz
      My 2019 SIlverado 4x4 has 3,100 miles.
      It was parked in the driveway last week and when I attempted to enter it into the garage, and in Drive, it sat there for a second or two, and then lurched into the garage.  I instanteously hit the brakes and got it stopped.  When I pressed the gas, the truck just stood still, then took off into the garage.

Now, today, as I backed out of the driveway for a quick errand, the emergency brake would not release, then it released, but as I selected Drive, it refused to move.  I played around with it several times, pressing the brake pedal as instructed, and finally got it to go.  However, I had now brake assist.  It required a ton of pressure to get it to stop.

The dash light up like the 4th of July.  BRAKE showed up in red, engine in yellow, Traction Control in yellow, Tire Pressure (quickly vanished), ABS, and Service ESC.

Am heading to the dealer (48 miles) in the morning.  I was going to connect my DTC and see what was showing, but will refrain, so dealer can see for themselves.

I've noticed a couple of intermittent quirks since I've owned it (July 2019), but things seemed to resolve themselves.  I did receive  December recall and they will get that looked at in the morning.

Am attaching a photo of the dash as i sits now.  The -14.6V DC light is from a piece of equipment I have installed.

Anyone else out there having issues?

Also, photo shows less the 30psi oil pressure at idle, a bit low I am thinking

• By Sam Hohn
      I recently acquired a 1951 Chevrolet 6100 missing its engine and would like to refurbish it. However, Instead of putting in the original engine (Chevrolet 235) I am looking for an engine that came out in the next 10-15 years to put in my truck that will out put 200+ horsepower without being out of touch with the truck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    • By Codfish
      Hey Guys,
      I have the opportunity to pick up a 2019 5.3 engine & transmission with 20k miles on it fairly cheap. I have an 09 sierra that I'd like to swap it into, currently running a stock 5.3. My question is:  Is it a big deal to make a change between years like that? I've replaced engines before in older trucks but never with this type of age difference, I don't want to get in over my head.
      Thanks!
    • By 2020AT4
      Hey everyone, I picked up my 6.2L 2020 GMC Sierra AT4 about 3 or 4 months ago. I haven't gone ham on it or anything crazy, mostly just normal in town driving, a little highway driving,  and one 400 mile trip on the interstate & highway pulling an 18' enclosed trailer (just helping someone move, so the trailer wasn't heavy; just furniture and stuff, not snowmobiles or anything heavy like that). The truck only has a little over 2,000 miles on it. From the beginning I always thought the engine sounded kind of weird, had like a ticking or clicking noise to it. Everyone else told me they couldn't hear it, and said I was crazy; until yesterday one guy said it sounded like my engine had a tick. Can hear it the most once the engine is warmed up. I took it to the dealership and asked them about it. They said in older models it'd be a sign of lifters going out, but in the new models that it's normal unless it gets any louder or starts sounding more aggressive.

I'm kind of a little nervous since my brother just found out in his 2015 GMC Sierra All Terrain his fuel pump is leaking and letting gas into the oil; he first started noticing the problem when his mpg started going to crap a couple years ago, but the dealership kept telling him it was just the fuel blend in the winter time, even though it was happening year round. Finally he took it to a different mechanic (other than the dealership) and they figured out the problem really quick, and they assume it has been happening for a couple years now. Along with that they also figured out why his breaks would go out at low speeds, something with the vacuum system. To fix both problems was going to cost him about 3 grand parts & labor.

I'm hoping mine isn't a mechanical flaw like what he found in his truck, especially not this early. However, I have had to bring my truck into the shop 2 times already - once for a "service steering column" warning where they said the wiring coming unseated and they had to reseat it; and once because the infotainment system was defective and wouldn't turn on so they had to replace it; and yesterday I had a "service steering column lock" warning show up on the display, but I wasn't close enough to a dealership to bring it in so I'll have to wait for that one to pop up again.

Has anyone heard that ticking/clicking engine noise on their 2019 or 2020 Chevy or Silverado? What the is it? It just doesn't sound normal.