2015 Sierra 6.2l Max tow Transmission Temp.

This is the first half ton I have owned, 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 6.2l with Max tow package. All my other trucks have been 3/4 ton Sierra's with 6.0l.

My question is do all these 1/2 tons run with transmission temperatures hot or seem hot to me? My 1/2 ton runs around 190 deg.F (88 deg.C) where my 3/4 tons ran around 140 deg.F (60 deg.C). I know when I pop the hood on the 1/2 ton after a 30 minute drive, the heat coming out of the engine compartment seems way too hot to me. It's so hot, I can barely get the fuse box cover off without burning my hands.

Anyone else have these concerns ?

I have same powertrain as you. I'll have to watch my trans temp screen more, however I've not seen mine get as hot as your saying. I must agree on the engine compartment feeling so so hot. Feels a lot hotter under there than my previous truck.

These new k2 trucks have thermostats on the trannys now as well, in order to shift smoother. Mine climbs to 192 just driving around, but towing 5k up and down hills I never saw above 212 degrees.

I'm also use to lower trans temps, usually around 90-100 degrees warmer than ambient air temp while towing (my 02 has an extra deep pan and a huge aftermarket cooler). It's just the nature of these trucks. It keeps the temps pretty well regulated from what I've seen

I am also coming from a 2500 6.0l and used to having trans temps in the mid 140s. Currently running the 5.3l with the max trailering package and while pulling my trailer this morning was topping out at 198 deg F . I've had my truck a week and these temps are consistent. My son has a 2014 1500 5.3l and his is running 170 deg F not towing. I am also curious as to what other are running.

In others words is that normal operating temp?

Yes. Thermostat controlled temp for "better shift quality". Even with close to 100 degree temps here recently, I never saw more than 200 degrees under normal driving cicumstances

If, like me, you've lost three transmissions, ye get a bit paranoid about the rascals. Only one was burned up while towing - my '96 Silverado. Stranded me in Florida. I'm wanting an Allison in a 1/2 ton! Or something.

If, like me, you've lost three transmissions, ye get a bit paranoid about the rascals. Only one was burned up while towing - my '96 Silverado. Stranded me in Florida. I'm wanting an Allison in a 1/2 ton! Or something.

I've done 4 trannys in my truck since I've owned it, my 02 that is. The 4l60e tranny was junk. Don't you dare add large tires and a tune to it if it's stock. Blow it up in 20k miles or less. Have a performabuilt in it now. Broke one of these already as well lol. This is why that truck isn't my DD anymore haha

190 degrees is the normal temp. I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer and run it in 4th or 5th gear and the hottest is has ever gotten for me is 205 degrees but it usually averages 196 while pulling between 65 and 70 mph. These trannys have synthetic fluid so they can take the heat.

190 degrees is the normal temp. I tow a 6000 lb travel trailer and run it in 4th or 5th gear and the hottest is has ever gotten for me is 205 degrees but it usually averages 196 while pulling between 65 and 70 mph. These trannys have synthetic fluid so they can take the heat.

I tow either my race car trailer (about 6,000 lbs) or my travel trailer (about 10,000 lbs) and have never seen my trans temp hit 200. It normally hangs around 196.

I had a 4.3 double cab for a week in the winter. Tranny always hit 190 and not move from there. Like others have mentioned, they have a thermostatic bypass to heat the transmission up and then it opens to flow to the cooler.

Archived