Vinyl wrapping bumper on iridium metallic Sierra

Has anyone have any luck color matching iridium metallic as vinyl? I would like to wrap my bumpers instead of painting them. I figure paint would chip over time, but at least with vinyl I could peel it off at any time, not affecting crome bumper to much.

Thanks for any input on this.

I'm trying to do that with my brownstone... I ordered 5 samples from metrorestyling to see if any of them match. Ive had 2 other samples that were so close but just a little too dark. I'd go there and order some samples and see. Theyre only .99 per sample and 1.15 shipping so its not very costly to try to find one. They have plenty. Go to the metallic section and start browsing

I am afraid that it is not going to work out for you. What is so special about the Iridium is the way it seems to change tones with lighting, from a slight brown tone in morning sun to dark grey when overcast. I sprayed the inserts of my GMC logos with color matched paint and because of the lines made into the inserts, the metallics do not pick up the light the same way and the body does. I think that if you are able to find vinyl that is "close", it won't pick up those different tones.

Your best options would be to either have the bumpers painted to match, or to wrap in something contrasting like a black to match the bumper inserts and front lip spoiler.

I am afraid that it is not going to work out for you. What is so special about the Iridium is the way it seems to change tones with lighting, from a slight brown tone in morning sun to dark grey when overcast.

And even a shade of almost purple sometimes.

in for updates, im curious myself. Found a "grey" metallic vinyl that matched slightly but like they said above, it didn't color shift too well so it only matched at the correct angles. There are color shifting vinyls but not sure if theres one that'll be close enough

That's one thing I like about the color. I had a 04 Sierra that was either Carbon Metallic or Storm Gray Metallic. It would also flip colors throughout the day depending upon if it was sunny or overcast.

That is also the downside of this color, that it is hard to match it.

Or paint them and wrap them with Avery Nano Fusion film. I have a Denali which comes with painted bumpers and I wrapped mine in that. It's a superior product to the Xpel, IMHO. It's shinier than the paint was and it's self healing properties and puncture resistance is amazing. Worth every penny. I paid $295 drive out to have my front end done. Just an option.

Or paint them and wrap them with Avery Nano Fusion film. I have a Denali which comes with painted bumpers and I wrapped mine in that. It's a superior product to the Xpel, IMHO. It's shinier than the paint was and its self healing properties and puncture resistance is amazing. Worth every penny. I paid $295 drive out to have my front end done. Just an option.

I got a swatch panel from 3m with there 1080 wraps and there is nothing close to Iridium Metallic. But they did say they could make some if there was enough interest. Paint it and then Clear Wrap.

RT

whats enough interest? lol we got a few guys here... not enough?? would split a roll with you guys

• 6 months later...

Anyone ever get a color that was close from another brand? I was wanting to do this as well. I would prefer to find a color that matches but would be willing to settle on a flat black.

• 5 months later...

Or paint them and wrap them with Avery Nano Fusion film. I have a Denali which comes with painted bumpers and I wrapped mine in that. It's a superior product to the Xpel, IMHO. It's shinier than the paint was and it's self healing properties and puncture resistance is amazing. Worth every penny. I paid $295 drive out to have my front end done. Just an option.

Or paint them and wrap them with Avery Nano Fusion film. I have a Denali which comes with painted bumpers and I wrapped mine in that. It's a superior product to the Xpel, IMHO. It's shinier than the paint was and its self healing properties and puncture resistance is amazing. Worth every penny. I paid $295 drive out to have my front end done. Just an option.

Mike, where in houston did you have this done...I like the price...

Thx,

Mike, where in houston did you have this done...I like the price...

Thx,

Hey Rick, sorry for the late response. I used a place that's inside an exotic/exotic vintage dealer near Memorial. The dealer is a family member of mine and he prefers the business and location not be posted publically to protect his clients' privacy. Overly sensitive rich people, lol. The guys who installed the wrap for me normally only handle the cars that come in and out of the place, but they're a separate business from the dealer, so he does take on outside work. I'll PM you the details. They do some of the expensive cars in the world, including a 1 of 20 Bugatti in a private collection kept at the dealer, so I promise they'll do phenomenal job on your truck.

Archived