Does the tailgate have a known weight limit?

At work we are always putting drums of oil or glycol on the tail gate and have no issues. 1 drum weighs about 450+ lbs each. Dropping that on the tailgate is a different story. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

At work we are always putting drums of oil or glycol on the tail gate and have no issues. 1 drum weighs about 450+ lbs each. Dropping that on the tailgate is a different story. [emoji51]

Thanks for the response 'avgas', but can you clarify just a little bit. So you have rested 450+lbs oil/glycol drums on the tailgate without any damage? How many have you put on there at once? How were they positioned; in the center or on the outer edges? Was there any sign any part of it was going to give; cables or tailgate?

Since you said you're always doing it at work, any chance you can take a quick picture for us?

For my intended use I wouldn't be dropping anything or applying additional pressure short of placing the weight on the tailgate itself.

I usually have one in the center of the tailgate. Sometimes one on each end just depends on what I'm moving around. The tailgate doesn't show any signs of bending. If I think of it I will take a pic next time. The tailgates are pretty tough and I haven't seen a strap break yet.

I usually have one in the center of the tailgate. Sometimes one on each end just depends on what I'm moving around. The tailgate doesn't show any signs of bending. If I think of it I will take a pic next time. The tailgates are pretty tough and I haven't seen a strap break yet.

That's incredible! At 450lbs each that would make a total of 900lbs resting on the tailgate with no signs of bending. Even the 450lb drum in the center is pretty impressive to me.

Edited by jasch1124

D.G. Manufacturing makes some nice quality tailgate support bars for securing atv's that hang out on the gate or to hold additional weight put on the tailgate. Three different sizes available.

D.G. Manufacturing makes some nice quality tailgate support bars for securing atv's that hang out on the gate or to hold additional weight put on the tailgate. Three different sizes available.

Good call tstehle! I had them make custom ones for my SSR but never really got to use them. For $55 it's some piece of mind and he has pictures of what it can do here http://www.dgmtailgatesupport.com/tailgate-supports. I may consider it if I feel I'm pushing mine to it's limit.

• Like 1

That's incredible! At 450lbs each that would make a total of 900lbs resting on the tailgate with no signs of bending. Even the 450lb drum in the center is pretty impressive to me.

Not too different than 2 decent-sized guys sitting on the tailgate

The thing that scares me a bit with the DG Manufacturing bars is that they rely on the strength of the tailgate latch mechanism to hold the one end of the bar. Not sure how much the latches are made to handle.

I guess if the tailgate is closed and something heavy slides into it with some momentum, that could represent a good bit of force but only for an instant. A bed full of gravel with a closed tailgate would be a better test for the latch.

Edited by DanY

So I went to a local Chevrolet dealership to speak with a salesman about it and as anticipated, he couldn't give me any information I didn't already know, just the 'these trucks are pretty tough and should handle more than a few hundred pounds'. So I opened the tailgate on one on the lot. Keeping in mind I'm a 300lb guy: I opened it, stood on it, jumped around a little and sat on it and didn't notice anything that showed the tailgate was going to give. If I get a chance I'll bring a 200lb friend with me next time and see what happens with the both of us on it, with the dealership's permission of course.

Side note: I noticed the tailgate cables being a little uneven on both mine and the one on the dealerships lot. They're not off by much; when you put pressure on the side that has a bit more slack it pulls the cable so I don't think it's as big an issue that some other threads are claiming, at least on these two.

• 4 years later...
On 7/10/2015 at 8:49 AM, BenzTruck300! said:

I asked salesman this and was adivsed 600lb. however this is evenly spread out on the tailgate.

A whole forum full of pretty avid/engaged guys can't come up with an answer but a salesman does? Right!

FWIW - My full-size 800cc ATV is right around 750 pounds and I'm 210-215 pounds depending if I went to Taco Tuesday or not that week. With 8 foot ramps, I have loaded it in my bed and driven many miles with zero issues. OEM cables look good and tailgate opens and closes like new. The rear wheels sit right in the center of the tailgate. Here are pics:

423651654_ATVTailgate.thumb.jpg.9a5747531c6c2afa3fe49da39d599b07.jpg

721901583_ATVTailgate2.thumb.jpg.b7e55815b225e1a13271c778e136a98f.jpg