Driving in M5 all the time

I'm averaging 19-20 mpg a tank driving in M5. This is mostly miles at 55 - 75 mph in hilly/curvy country. 6th gear is pretty much useless where I live I've concluded. I'll use it when on a Interstate type highway in relatively flat country, but it won't help me where I do my daily driving.

Somebody asked about "WHY RUN IN M5"?.... To prevent excessive oil consumption because of bad rings and pistons......ask a good mechanic or do a little google search. GM says 1 qt of oil every 1000 miles is NOT excessive. I disagree. Running in V4 causes this problem.

Ditto, I haven't burned any oil as of yet. Approx 14k Miles

And you let the AFM behave as designed?

I aka because these posts concern me. I don't mind the AFM and find it to be butter smooth on my truck about 95% of the time and would rather just drive and not think about it; but if it's really not going to be good for my engine in the long run I'd rather prevent that. I plan on keeping this truck a long time.

Can someone provide an article from a reliable source talking about issues the AFM causes that result in oil consumption?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Potts

And you let the AFM behave as designed?

I aka because these posts concern me. I don't mind the AFM and find it to be butter smooth on my truck about 95% of the time and would rather just drive and not think about it; but if it's really not going to be good for my engine in the long run I'd rather prevent that. I plan on keeping this truck a long time.

Can someone provide an article from a reliable source talking about issues the AFM causes that result in oil consumption?

Yup totally stock and I let all 6 gears do their thing with AFM in 6th.

I've also heard (many times) that AFM decreases engine life but so far so good. I don't know. Trying not to worry about it.

• Like 1

IMO,I think it's more how well your pistons and rings seated in the first few hundred miles, rather than AFM causing oil consumption. I have close to 29,000 on my truck. Changing oil this Saturday. Oil monitor down to 23%, and by Saturday will be just about 6,000 on the oil. Checked oil level today. It's barely, if at all off full. In fact it's been this way since day one of owning it.

I tried M5 for a while, and by that I mean maybe a couple weeks. Other than that it's always in drive. Never know when it does the V4 thing either. Smooth as glass, unless I'm going slow like under 30mph.

You guys do your first oil change at around 2k miles? I like to do my first one early and then follow the maintenance schedule to get the break in junk out of there, but I hear more and more how they are broken in at the factory and it's not needed.

You guys do your first oil change at around 2k miles? I like to do my first one early and then follow the maintenance schedule to get the break in junk out of there, but I hear more and more how they are broken in at the factory and it's not needed.

Potts,I had them do my first at 200 mile. Probably anal but I felt better with factory oil out of it.

• Like 1

Thanks fellas. Anyone have a link to a good write up for DIY oil change and oil filter replacement? I'm gonna take advantage of my free two years maintenance, but for this first quick one I just want to do it myself. I haven't checked yet, but I probably don't even need to jack her up to do it - I didn't have to with my jeep and the clearance is similar.

The ring thing happens after 40,000 miles and far short of 100,000. I'm not a mechanic, but I've had several GM mechanics explain this to me. Plus the info is on-line if you are curious to go check. You guys who act like this is a fable get back to us at about 60,000 - 70,000 miles and let us know. After the research I've done, I've decided to not take the chance. To each his own.

My white 2014 had over 20,000 miles from April to December and never used any oil. All three oil changes completed by the dealership when the OLM told me to change it. Truck didn't smoke, leak or burn oil. I ran it on 87 octane and according to my fuelly account I tracked 15220 miles and averaged 15.5 mpg. It was a 5.3L 6sp w/3.42 gears I put it in auto and let it do its thing.